How to save the game iPad version

General discussion about the game.
VincentTH

How to save the game iPad version

Postby VincentTH » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:12 am

I have no problem saving the game in the PC version, but have no clue how to save the game on the iPad version.
Did I miss something?
5thHorseman

Re: How to save the game iPad version

Postby 5thHorseman » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:10 pm

VincentTH wrote:I have no problem saving the game in the PC version, but have no clue how to save the game on the iPad version.
Did I miss something?

I don't have the iPad version (or an iPad :lol:) but in the PC version, you don't even need to save, really. It auto saves after pretty much everything that could happen. I tested this by making a choice in an event, and then killing the process with task manager. When I loaded up the game, "Continue" was an option and the game state was after that choice I made.

Maybe because of this (and how apps are oddly "not running but running in the background but not really but yeah they kind of are"), you just stop playing and when you load your game back up later you can continue?
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Skyie

Postby Skyie » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:28 am

5thHorseman wrote:
VincentTH wrote:I have no problem saving the game in the PC version, but have no clue how to save the game on the iPad version.
Did I miss something?

I don't have the iPad version (or an iPad :lol:) but in the PC version, you don't even need to save, really. It auto saves after pretty much everything that could happen.

I agree with this. I have the iPad version and it auto saves so you can press the Home button whenever you want. When you load the game back up again it should be saved in Continue.
Drbbn

Postby Drbbn » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:27 pm

Yes that's great, but the question is, Say you die because of a wrong maneuver, how can you restore an earlier save?

Thanks!
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:56 pm

Yes that's great, but the question is, Say you die because of a wrong maneuver, how can you restore an earlier save?

Thanks!

Save-scumming? The iPad isn't sophisticated enough for that.

The only solution is to start a new game and try again without making the same mistakes.
Drbbn

Postby Drbbn » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:36 am

Really? I see other games allow this type of save, though.

It has been a convention since the diskette was invented that, mainly because your perception of what is "dangerous" or not is not the same in the virtual world of computer playing as it may be in the real world, and in order to compensate for such perceptual gap, players of long, convoluted games would be allowed to "live again" via such game saves, under certain conditions as may be set by the game itself (such as "no saves during a combat", for example, or "save only in cities, not in the wilderness", etc.).

As said elsewhere, situations in FTL can deteriorate very quickly. Mistakes can be made —if only when the real world invites itself into the game and distracts the player... Having played for any number of hours and losing all the progress made because of, say, a real life phone call or something burning in the kitchen or whatever, and having to restart all over again, seems a bit harsh.

If that is confirmed, I will regretfully stop playing the game as I don't want to expose myself to this kind of "punishment" which I don't think is fair, and I will, also regretfully, not recommend the game to others.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:37 pm

As said elsewhere, situations in FTL can deteriorate very quickly. Mistakes can be made —if only when the real world invites itself into the game and distracts the player... Having played for any number of hours and losing all the progress made because of, say, a real life phone call or something burning in the kitchen or whatever, and having to restart all over again, seems a bit harsh.

There is a pause button in the corner to prevent further mistakes being made while you answer that fire and put out the phone.

If that is confirmed, I will regretfully stop playing the game as I don't want to expose myself to this kind of "punishment" which I don't think is fair, and I will, also regretfully, not recommend the game to others.

Have you played a Roguelike game before? Because this is to be expected in them. There's a game even worse than this when it comes to no saving (and I haven't played it but I read up on it) called Nethack where you must traverse a dungeon without dying. Some people take weeks to finish that game because of how intricate it is.

Then after weeks of not making mistakes, you drink the wrong potion or read the wrong scroll and die instantly. That's not fair at all but people take it in stride and learn not to make mistakes like that again.

FTL is essentially a Rogue-lite game. You only lose up to an hour's progress if you stuff up and restart. Possibly less. It's what happens and you get used to it. If you want to save-scum, get the PC version and look it up.
Mendel

Postby Mendel » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:56 am

The pc version doesn´t allow save scumming either. you can only continue from where you left off or start new game. you cannot load an earlier save.
gall0ws

Postby gall0ws » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:03 am

Mendel wrote:The pc version doesn´t allow save scumming either. you can only continue from where you left off or start new game. you cannot load an earlier save.

You have to backup your savefile (continue.sav IIRC) before the game delete it. It's cheating, but being a single-player game you actually harm only your experience (the game will loss much of its intensity without permadeath).
Tsubashi

Postby Tsubashi » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:25 pm

A bit late to the party, but for those with a jailbroken iPad, I wrote an app to do this very thing (Backup/Restore saved games). You can grab the source or the .deb installer. I also have a newly created Cydia repo (http://cydia.18m250.org).

As gall0ws said, some might say this could be used for cheating, but since it is a single-player game, it is up to you. It certainly is nice to have the option at least.

One caveat. As noted on the Github page, FTL saves the game anytime it is closed. This means that when running FTLSaver, you must ensure that FTL is at the main menu if it is running. If it is not, it will overwrite any restored games with the game it was running.