What I want to see in AE

General discussion about the game.
Stryke

What I want to see in AE

Postby Stryke » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:58 pm

This topic is going to contain a few things... some of these are things the developers could seriously consider doing and others would make them rofl. Please keep that in mind.

Being the captain of your ship you need to be able to micro-manage your crew among other things in order to have a successful run. However, the game can make this hard as you don't have much control over your units.

Suggestions
1. Allow us to tell our crew to stop attacking something. The pain of watching your crew kill themselves on the boss fight is incredible.

2. Allow us to toggle "system management priority". This means that if you have it toggled on a crew member with more experience manning a system will automatically have the priority for manning it instead of the first come, first serve deal we have.

3. Let us control who our crew focuses their attacks on.

4. Small scrap rewards for killing boarders? Would make those events worth something besides annoying.

Stuff that I want that probably won't happen
1. Space stations. These would be large enemies with significant fire power without the ability to evade shots.

2. More music. Yea I know it won't happen but a man can dream.

3. Fix the Mantis tooltip. They don't do double damage. If this was already fixed, oops!

4. Minor modding support such as extra hidden ship slots to allow custom ships etc.

5. Resolution options.
agigabyte

Re: What I want to see in AE

Postby agigabyte » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:23 pm

Manti do double damage, and CE has space stations.
Stryke

Postby Stryke » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:49 pm

I don't enjoy CE. Would be a cool edition to vanilla imo.

As for Mantis, I guess I'll go check
agigabyte

Postby agigabyte » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:06 am

There also will be more music.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:03 am

Interesting list of suggestions there. Let me throw my 2 cents in...

Stryke wrote:1. Allow us to tell our crew to stop attacking something. The pain of watching your crew kill themselves on the boss fight is incredible.

I'd like this as well.

Stryke wrote:2. Allow us to toggle "system management priority". This means that if you have it toggled on a crew member with more experience manning a system will automatically have the priority for manning it instead of the first come, first serve deal we have.

I don't find the current system difficult to get the guy I want to the post, and I can then load the room the way I like. I'd prefer a "mentor" system where everybody in the room gets a little experience and/or the guy manning the station gets extra experience if someone in the room also has experience on that system.

Stryke wrote:3. Let us control who our crew focuses their attacks on.

I think this is a gameplay balance thing. We see a very simplified version of what actually happens in the battle, and your crew doesn't always get the chance to focus on that guy ducked behind that console so they take a shot at another guy elsewhere in the room.

Stryke wrote:4. Small scrap rewards for killing boarders? Would make those events worth something besides annoying.

I asked for just this thing and was given an answer that satisfied me: There's no easy programmatic way - in the current system - to determine if the boarders are part of an event or just boarded in a battle. They're not an "event" in the way that a ship battle is. Therefore, it would take a pretty hefty reworking of the code to get them to give rewards.

Stryke wrote:1. Space stations. These would be large enemies with significant fire power without the ability to evade shots.

I got no problem with these, though don't know how much they'd add.

Stryke wrote:2. More music. Yea I know it won't happen but a man can dream.

I barely notice the music, when I bother to have it on :)

Stryke wrote:3. Fix the Mantis tooltip. They don't do double damage. If this was already fixed, oops!

I'm sure they will, it's an oft-reported error and would take a second or two to fix.

Stryke wrote:4. Minor modding support such as extra hidden ship slots to allow custom ships etc.

This would be awesome, though I think it would require even more reworking of code. Possibly a hefty amount.

Stryke wrote:5. Resolution options.

They'd have to not only recode a lot of the game, but also recontract out all the gaphics work, possibly one per resolution level. I think the current set-level plus a fullscreen option is fine. The game looks pretty darn good in fullscreen.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
No1451

Postby No1451 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:08 am

What I want to see likely won't happen.

-Stations
-AUGMENTS, all of them
-crew-wide bonuses, like the ability to outfit your crew in suits or something, bam fighting on an airless ship
-on the subject of airless ships, I want an AI ship. No crew, just drones but the schtick is, you can control them unlike normal drones. Mind blown right guys?
-better stat tracking, seriously, please, this would be great, I love mathing out my runs to try and improve my game
-final thing, ships that win the game need to become encounters. Seriously, if I finish the game in my ridiculous capped out Redtail with ALL THE GUNS, I want it to become a ship that may possibly spawn in the extra high difficulties of my game. This would be the most cathartic thing I can imagine.

Make it so.
Stryke

Postby Stryke » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:03 am

I'm going to answer to multiple quotes here

agigabyte wrote:Manti do double damage, and CE has space stations.

Just checked this and no they do not.

5thHorseman wrote:Interesting list of suggestions there. Let me throw my 2 cents in...

I don't find the current system difficult to get the guy I want to the post, and I can then load the room the way I like. I'd prefer a "mentor" system where everybody in the room gets a little experience and/or the guy manning the station gets extra experience if someone in the room also has experience on that system.

The reason I asked for this is after putting out fires or fending off boarders it just makes the process easier and if FTL were reality that's what would occur

5thHorseman wrote:I think this is a gameplay balance thing. We see a very simplified version of what actually happens in the battle, and your crew doesn't always get the chance to focus on that guy ducked behind that console so they take a shot at another guy elsewhere in the room.

Nice point.

1. Space stations. These would be large enemies with significant fire power without the ability to evade shots.
5thHorseman wrote:I got no problem with these, though don't know how much they'd add

Compare it to the AI ships. What I mean by this is imagine if you removed AI ships completely from the game. Sure it's not the end of the world but another ship type adds more than you think!

5thHorseman wrote:I barely notice the music, when I bother to have it on :)

You're missing out.

4. Minor modding support such as extra hidden ship slots to allow custom ships etc.
5thHorseman wrote:This would be awesome, though I think it would require even more reworking of code. Possibly a hefty amount.

Potentially I guess but maybe just make an extra ship slot that's empty?
Marcrell

Postby Marcrell » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:27 am

I think they said they'll have new music in the video for AE so that wish is granted.
Treamayne

Postby Treamayne » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:36 pm

5thHorseman wrote:
Stryke wrote:4. Small scrap rewards for killing boarders? Would make those events worth something besides annoying.

I asked for just this thing and was given an answer that satisfied me: There's no easy programmatic way - in the current system - to determine if the boarders are part of an event or just boarded in a battle. They're not an "event" in the way that a ship battle is. Therefore, it would take a pretty hefty reworking of the code to get them to give rewards.

Not so much scrap rewards, something as simple as boarder only events have the possibility of the last surviving enemy boarder offering to join your crew if you spare him/her.

Other things I didn't notice mentioned.

- Differing max crew sizes for the different ships.
- Followed by an augmentation that allows one additional crew spot.
- Weapon upgrades (I have Burst Laser 1 - rather than sell it and buying BL II full price, I pay X and it is upgraded). This could be added as a possible choice in those distress events where "I'm a shipwright and offer to repair/upgrade your ship" rather than in stores (or both).
- Similar to the mentor idea, at a certain level (say 6) shields and weapons just get a second terminal that can be manned.
- This may sound really silly, but I would like some of the "your map is updated" events to add the lines between the beacons instead of/in addition to tagging ship presence/ hazards at the beacons.
V/R

Treamayne
jhmgrose

Postby jhmgrose » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:41 am

I'd like to be able to assign hotkeys to my crew. I have two Mantids for the sole purpose to defence and boarding action, but the first Mantis is on F3 and the other is on F8. Might not be such a big deal when I can drag-and-drop, but I tend to have a little OCD when it comes to organisation of hotkeys and crew assignment.