List of things people don't like [From Reddit thread]

General discussion about the game.
ElCapitan

Re: List of things people don't like [From Reddit thread]

Postby ElCapitan » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:58 pm

Cooper42 wrote:
NoPantsBaby wrote:hat it's a roguelike, with a timer, which sort of goes against the roguelike.
What. Like Spelunky?

Yeah. That's game's totally not a roguelike either.

To be fair, neither are roguelikes per the strict definition of the Roguelike as decided by the International Roguelike Development Conference 2008. You can see that strict definition at http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment. ... rpretation . So if you want to be really, really strict about it, FTL and Spelunky are more roguelike-likes than anything.
velz

Postby velz » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:32 pm

Zironic wrote:You're complaining about the entire game concept, you can't possibly expect them to change everything.

Who is? I don't see anyone saying they should turn the game into Mario kart in space.
velz

Postby velz » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:36 pm

Gunnar wrote:
velz wrote:The devs have no obligation to listen to anyone on anything, you're right, but they would be idiotic not to.

and how would they be "idiotic" to not listen?

velz wrote:Plenty of people buy things and then realize they don't like it.

and that's their own fault not the devs...

It's not necessarily a fault. It's just something that happens. I don't know why you and many like you are trying to turn this into a freaking blame game. You act like if someone has criticism that they are idiots and "all hail the devs, they can do no wrong." I'm not blaming the devs for not making the bestest possible game ever in the freaking universe of all time. No one is. It's the buyers offering criticisms to make a better product in the future, or turn the current one into something better **based on majority of customer feedback** through future patches.

So yes, the point still stands that if you're creating something for a group of people, and that group who loves the type of thing you're giving them has ideas to make it better, you would be an idiot to disregard the ideas, especially if there's a few things that MANY of the buyers are bringing up.

Thankfully it does seem the devs don't share your outlook and are considering feedback and not telling people to suck it if they don't like it.
Zironic

Postby Zironic » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:34 am

I'll just note that there's a difference between complaining about a bad implementation of a gameplay concept and complaining about the gameplay concept itself.

When you're complaining about the implementation of the concept, it means you want a better game. When you are complaining about the concept itself, you want a different game. Since it is rather unreasonable to expect them to patch the game to a different game, the latter kind of feedback isn't necessarily very useful and better spent in threads like "This is what I'd like to see changed in expansions/sequels".

For instance "I think there are too many events where you randomly lose crew" is a complaint about implementation, the devs could easily tweak the events until they feel a bit more 'fair'.
"I don't like that the game is heavily random" is a complaint about the game-play concept, this means that this game isn't suited for you but maybe FTL 2 might be if they decide to make such a thing.
DasRav

Postby DasRav » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:45 am

Sorry, I did not read all the comments. I am at work and all :)

A lot of these complaints could be very easily solved. People want no or a slower pursuit fleet? Add a menu option for that. People want less random shop inventory? Add a menu option for that. Should not be difficult to put these in.

Personally I would love to have a free explore mode. With a story of course. That would be so awesome.. :)
NoHeDoesnt

Postby NoHeDoesnt » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:38 pm

the point still stands that if you're creating something for a group of people, and that group who loves the type of thing you're giving them has ideas to make it better, you would be an idiot to disregard the ideas

This dude really just doesn't get it, does he? Well can't say we didn't try.
RoyGordon

Postby RoyGordon » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:54 pm

Once a game ends up in the hands of the PAYING public then I think we have to agree those PAYING public do have the right to say they would like changes made to the game, but only if those changes would really enhance the game.

For me I would like to see FTL2 feature a mode where you can switch off the pursuit ship option, allowing you to explore free-form. I would also like to see a save game option where you can either play the game as originally indended or allow you to save games at each system visited. I would also add an option to either have items appear randomly at stores or allow stores to stock every single item that can be purchased. These are the only changes I'd like to see in the future with FTL2 (Dev's, please tell us there will be an FTL2!).