Your "Fuck you, FTL" Moments

General discussion about the game.
UltraMantis

Re: Your "Fuck you, FTL" Moments

Postby UltraMantis » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:13 am

SgtFrog wrote:Those times when you're up against a ship with three shields and you have nothing to penetrate them with. No missiles, not enough lasers or beams. And since you have 40% dodge and two shields, the most either of you can do is just stare at each other until your FTL drive charges up again.

^
Assuming there is fuel to actually go anywhere... :lol:
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
SgtFrog

Postby SgtFrog » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:47 am

I had an almost FTL moment:

Flying the Noether. First jump in Sector 1, asteroid field. Also, an enemy ship with Mini Beam and Beam Drone. What makes this "almost" is that they soon surrendered, so I survived (with half my hull damaged...) At least I wasn't playing a Stealth ship.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:27 am

One of my favorite things in FTL is when you're in an Asteroid field and the slaver ship has taken out your shield and weapons, and half your ship is on fire, and you're about to give up and restart, and your last shot before your weapons go down causes them to GIVE YOU A FREE CREW MEMBER AND STOP FIGHTING YOU.

:mrgreen:
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
textheavy

Postby textheavy » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:57 pm

After many, many games I finally got a crystal crew member while using the Mantis ship.

I was so excited to try the "lockdown" ability.

Just as I beam a mantis and crystal over to an enemy ship, the game screen goes gray and I get a video card error (first I've ever seen in my life). The game goes unresponsive, even though the rest of my system returns from the dead.

That was four days ago and I have tried playing again.
SgtFrog

Postby SgtFrog » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:11 pm

Sector 6. Fighting a Rebel ship. One enemy crewman ports onto my ship, begging for mercy and protection from his former crewmates. I decide to give him a chance. He decides to give me...a knife in my Lvl 2 Gunner's back.

Fuck me.
LegatDamar

Postby LegatDamar » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:39 pm

Attempt evasive maneuvers... Send someone out there to defuse it... The red wire or the blue?! 3... 2... 1... Red... your bomb disposal volunteer spinning off toward a nearby sun...
Byebye level 2 weapons-zoltan :( I hate this event! And i think i got level 5 engines AND the beamdrone one jump later (ok, probably not exactly one jump ;) )

Got me my best "non-boarding" score and best with the Noether. Only with the Carnelian i had one better score.

One run before that:
Sector 1: a sun fried piloting, oxygen and medbay and the mantisship finished me of...

One run before that:
Sector 1: zoltan pirate, beam drone, beam weapon and a laser... i rarely died so quickly...
SgtFrog

Postby SgtFrog » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:03 pm

I don't know if this is good or bad, but it's very funny either way.

Playing as Kestrel A, got some Rock crew and a Heal Bomb, so I decide to make them boarders. After a while (in Sector 7), my evasion is like 45%, so I'm dodging enemy shots left and right. After another successful boarding mission, my Rockmen come back somewhat injured. Instead of having them slowly tromp their way to the Medbay and back again, I decide to bring the Medbay to them and use a Heal Bomb. It missed.

My own Heal Bomb missed.

I did not think that was possible.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:31 pm

SgtFrog wrote:I don't know if this is good or bad, but it's very funny either way.

Playing as Kestrel A, got some Rock crew and a Heal Bomb, so I decide to make them boarders. After a while (in Sector 7), my evasion is like 45%, so I'm dodging enemy shots left and right. After another successful boarding mission, my Rockmen come back somewhat injured. Instead of having them slowly tromp their way to the Medbay and back again, I decide to bring the Medbay to them and use a Heal Bomb. It missed.

My own Heal Bomb missed.

I did not think that was possible.

Possible indeed. Cut the engines before you fire that bomb, your pilot just might dodge it!
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:00 am

That is a very strange case. All bombs can target your own ship. The devs wrote this in weapons helptext so they were aware of the issue. Why did they not implement some sort of exception where aiming at your own stuff ignores evasion?

The only explanation i can think of is this:
In cases where your ship is under fire, depowering engines would be dangerous but the benefit is that it would ensure your bombs hit their target. Making your bombs ignore your own evasion would eliminate this scenario, and give you surefire breaching/healing/barbecuing on your own ship. (If you IonBomb a system under melee attack, do the attackers leave the room in favor of another system?)

I know a lot of people think that being evil when designing games is bad or even arrogant but i disagree. I love games that will not yield and are cruel as hell. I respect evil design. Games such as openxcom, Within a Deep Forest, SOTS The Pit and FTL have a longer life and keep me interested longer. I also like to revisit them periodically and suffer some more.
There IS such a thing as being a mindless arrogant twit, but such people are unable to design working or interesting games. But i digress...
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
SgtFrog

Postby SgtFrog » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:30 pm

UltraMantis wrote:I know a lot of people think that being evil when designing games is bad or even arrogant but i disagree. I love games that will not yield and are cruel as hell. I respect evil design. Games such as openxcom, Within a Deep Forest, SOTS The Pit and FTL have a longer life and keep me interested longer. I also like to revisit them periodically and suffer some more.
There IS such a thing as being a mindless arrogant twit, but such people are unable to design working or interesting games. But i digress...

Very, very true. Though a game CAN be too evil. Games that make you scream and spit at the sheer unfairness.