Your "Fuck you, FTL" Moments

General discussion about the game.
UltraMantis

Re: Your "Fuck you, FTL" Moments

Postby UltraMantis » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:50 am

Zaarock wrote:Was having a run with kestrel on easy (to unlock some of the achievements for Kestrel B), nice and overpowered but somehow Flagship 2 launched boarding drones to my engine AND cockpit. no way to recover from that before the power surge drone rush and suddenly everything is starting to burn (even had 4 shields and 1 defend 2 drone). Guess I'll know to take out the drone section first next time lol

Welcome to the forum. :)

Just a reminder that taking down the drone control will not prevent the power surge attack. It's unstoppable, but a 1lvl cloak can help you avoid it entirely. Good luck beating the cheater. :D
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:10 am

I had 2 shields and went up against a Zoltan in an asteroid field. I chuckled as the battle started. Would his shield still be up by the time my weapons charged?

A few seconds into the battle, I noticed that not ONE asteroid even APPROACHED his ship. Meanwhile, 3 asteroids in quick succession hit mine. 2 took down the shields, and one actually HIT my shields, knocking them down to 1. The Zoltan then fires, knocking down my recharged single remaining shield, and another asteroid hits my shield room AGAIN, causing a hull breach.

I'm flabbergasted. My shields are down and my weapons haven't even charged. His Zoltan shield is at maximum and he still has yet to even see an asteroid. Sure enough, a few more come in and hit my weapons, engine, and Medbay. The Medbay is the least of my worries, and I'm quickly abandoning the idea of WINNING this fight and instead concentrate on SURVIVING it. I send my Engi into the engine room, which gets hit by ANOTHER ASTEROID before he can even get started. They're totally down, now, so I've got 0 dodge and 0 shields, and apparently a huge electro-magnet attracting asteroids at my ship.

I finally fire my weapons. This is somewhere around 15 seconds into the battle. I don't remember for sure but I think it was 4 laser bolts. They hit his shield and take it down a bit, but it's still up. They fire again, and hit several rooms including my weapons again. Now I've only got one weapon, my hull is shaking, and alarms are going off everywhere.

And then more asteroids hit. Half of my systems were red, the rest were in danger of the same. I couldn't fight. I couldn't flee.

I died.

Not once in the entire battle did the Zoltan ship even DODGE an asteroid. His shield was still up when the hull of my ship broke apart.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
greetingsfromoslo

Postby greetingsfromoslo » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:08 am

5thHorseman wrote:Not once in the entire battle did the Zoltan ship even DODGE an asteroid. His shield was still up when the hull of my ship broke apart.

Haven't you learned something from the zoltan cruiser quest: speak softly and carry a big shield? They probably had good diplomatic relations with those asteroids.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:36 pm

That is actually a known bug. 5thHorseman is right, the asteroids did not work correctly. This is what Matthew had to say about it: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11057&start=10#p39562
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
greetingsfromoslo

Postby greetingsfromoslo » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:42 pm

UltraMantis wrote:That is actually a known bug. 5thHorseman is right, the asteroids did not work correctly. This is what Matthew had to say about it: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11057&start=10#p39562

To attack mantis by default does sound like a bug, but not one that needs a patch: a good squish will do! :P
BKT

Postby BKT » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:07 am

lolwat :lol: ... I managed to suck 1 mantis out of the airlock into the vacuum of space; and somehow it managed to 'swim' back to the ship! :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVcXxYTZCnA

Also, Slug Assault with cloak can be such a bitch to crack at time— my poor, poor slug... :cry:
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:50 am

BKT wrote:lolwat :lol: ... I managed to suck 1 mantis out of the airlock into the vacuum of space; and somehow it managed to 'swim' back to the ship! :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVcXxYTZCnA

Also, Slug Assault with cloak can be such a bitch to crack at time— my poor, poor slug... :cry:

I had that happen in a recent game. It was a Mantis too, and in the upper right hand corner. Freaked me out a bit but I figure it was just a bug, while the game was trying to figure out where he was on my ship.

I had scanners and I could actually see him outside the ship floating around. Sadly it wasn't while I was recording.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
LONCHIVAR

Postby LONCHIVAR » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:52 pm

Mine had nothing to do with FTL.

It was a "WINDOWS UPDATE" event horizon that killed Donald Trump as he sailed in alone in his Engi box looking to beat the rebels single handedly.

Good hunting captains!

LONCHIVAR
Ezzzyy

Postby Ezzzyy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:19 pm

Everything was going great, rock A, glaive beam + ion bomb early on, power in all the systems I need, got a maxed out combat mantis and crystal guy who unlocked me that ship and bam. Freak lazers take both of them out. It all went downhill from there...
hermanJnr.

Postby hermanJnr. » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:26 pm

I had my best run yet going. I was a little low on fuel (7 units) but had tons of guns (so many I actually had spare to sell!) full hull and enough missiles (5) to last a few more battles. Things were great, and I was ready to move on to Sector 6.

The rebel fleet was closing in, but they were 3/4 of a system away thanks to my Nebula snuggling tactics, so I just had to make the three jumps to the exit at a leisurely pace. Easy!

Except it didn't work out that way. I made three jumps to get to the system adjacent to the exit, only to realise it inexplicably had no connection to the exit system despite being right next to it. 4 fuel left. -2 fuel through explored space to get back to a system in which there was a path to the exit...which was 3 jumps away. Arse.

At this point, I'm thinking "Okay, the rebels are still 1/2 a system away. There's 2 stores, 2-3 jumps away from me, both within jump range towards the exit. I can buy fuel. There's one node before that too, should be a ship there I can get fuel off anyway. It's fine."

So I jump to that node, fight a pirate. He offers to surrender: but this gives no fuel, so I kill him. Still no fuel. The rescued victim thanks me for the help and gives me drone parts. I swear at him viciously down the intercom, but he merely chuckles as he engages his jump drive.

1 fuel left, now I just have to jump to the store and...awwwww crap. Turns out the paths from this system are a weird triangle shape, so I only have the choice of 1 store to go to...and that store is now overrun with rebels. It's also my only node with hope of getting to the exit. So I jump in...a 0 fuel battle, my ship versus a 3-shield Elite Fighter.

At first things go great. If I can kill the fighter, I'll have the precious fuel needed to leave! But no. After a battle ~10 minutes long my exceedingly well equipped ship is doing fine, but it's a stalemate. I board them, but can't get through their shields to take out their med-bay. They can't get through my shields. I run out of missiles. They get through my shields because I can't hit their weapons. Game over :'(

Felt so robbed. I moused-over all the system jumps, but somehow I still got epically screwed by the really unorthodox way a few were linked together, the 3-4 encounters I had in that system not yielding any fuel was just icing on the cake :\