Your "Fuck you, FTL" Moments

General discussion about the game.
GoldenShadowGS

Re: Your "Fuck you, FTL" Moments

Postby GoldenShadowGS » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:48 pm

Danby wrote:
GoldenShadowGS wrote:Trying for Living off the land achievement(Reaching Sector 8 without buying at a store)
Playing Stealth Ship A. I have level 6 engines, mini beam, dual lasers and a hermes missile.(3 power, 3 damage) and nothing else. no drones, no shields, not enough reactor power to use everything at once.
I got this far by avoiding fights and finding fuel in random events. If I couldn't win a fight, I depowered weapons and put everything into engines and cloak to escape before they could fire a shot.
I am 2 jumps from the sector 7 exit when I run out of fuel, after jumping through a store and not buying fuel because it would stop the achievement. So I waited.
First is a rigger with 2 attack drones. Cloak, power up my backup missile. Aim for the drone control. Misses. FUCK.
Take a lot of damage while my missile reloads and cloak coolsdown. Finally hit the drone room , but it only stops one drone. Ship escapes shortly after. I have less than half hull remaining.
Wait again. Another ship arrive, an auto-drone with 4 shields and two attack drones. Same fucking story as before. first missile misses. 2nd one hits, but all subsequent ones miss too. Luckily the bastard escapes before killing me. Now I have barely 4 hull left, I wait again. I get a random event, I search the area with my upgraded sensors and find 7 fuel. HOLY SHIT.
Jump to the next two beacons without any problems by avoiding fighting. Got the achievement.

If a ship is dodging alot, concintrate on its control room. Then it doesn't dodge at all ;)

I needed it to jump away, or it would have destroyed me. It wouldn't jump if I destroyed the control room.
TomIveson

Postby TomIveson » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:32 pm

Okay, I've just read through this entire thread and I honestly can't believe this has never happened to anybody else. Seriously?

Final boss ship and my ship explode at exactly the same moment. Game over. No victory.

It took me a week or two to come back to the game after that.
postman

Postby postman » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:35 pm

Another player posted one of their favorite moments was watching the final boss ship explode right before theirs did. They were credited a win, so I'm guessing it depends on who dies first. By why should you ever have a "win" if your crew is dead and your ship is scrap anyway? :roll:
Dash_Headlong

Postby Dash_Headlong » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:51 pm

Okay, I'm going to use a bad example to make a good point.

The Enola Gaye completed it's mission. At that point it didn't matter if the plane made it back.

Ditto Kestrel. Intergalactic peace and freedom > one ship. ;)
Last edited by Dash_Headlong on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Danby

Postby Danby » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:16 pm

TomIveson wrote:Okay, I've just read through this entire thread and I honestly can't believe this has never happened to anybody else. Seriously?

Final boss ship and my ship explode at exactly the same moment. Game over. No victory.

It took me a week or two to come back to the game after that.

Ha! Well technically you still saved the day. You probably had a song or two written of your crew. I've had ships jump away with my boarding crew(my whole crew) still on board. Though technically i should be able to take over that ship now.
Ford Prefect

Postby Ford Prefect » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:29 pm

Attacked by 3 Mantis
greetingsfromoslo

Postby greetingsfromoslo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:53 pm

Nova wrote:Every time I run out of missiles on the Rock type A before finding any replacement weapon for it.

This.

I lost a couple of Crystal Cruiser quests because of this. Teleport is essential in order to fund the inefficient and expensive Rock A, if you find one in a shop at the right side of time, otherwise you just kill all ships with minimal loot and soon run out of both missiles and fuel, and face serious crew shortages. Blowing up ships doesn't do good to any one in the long run.
greetingsfromoslo

Postby greetingsfromoslo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:15 pm

Ford Prefect wrote:Attacked by 3 Mantis

That really sucks. Did it happen during a boarding event, or a simultaneous ship attack accompanied by boarding event?

I usually flush all the oxygen in the ship into space to lure the AI to move the boarders into my medbay, or when I have upgraded the doors, flush all rooms without crew and shut of the oxygen supply, then trap the boarders in room by room and enjoy they frantically try to blast their way through to the next depleted room and slowly die. :twisted:

By the way, if you open and close a door under attack, does that reset the door destruction performed by the boarders? This is really difficult to test, but I have a suspicion it works.
cicobuff

Postby cicobuff » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:04 am

I encountered a "f-k u!" Moment yesterday.

Near the end of sector 2 (normal). I found a pre-igniter, a scrap collector in a shop. Yuppie! Auto win I though. I bought both but did not have enough money to finish my repairs. Proceeded to the next sector. In the first jump. All my shots missed! All the enemy's hit and blasted my shield landed in my weapons and shield bay. His beam drone proceeded to lay waste to me..... Yea f-u.
Internal Auditor

Postby Internal Auditor » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:15 pm

*playing FTL for 30 mins straight*

*Computer auto shuts-down for update*

FFFFFFFFFFFFFF-