I can't believe I spent money on this!

General discussion about the game.
bocephyss

I can't believe I spent money on this!

Postby bocephyss » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:44 am

This game supposedly released in 2012 but has the engine of a game from the mid 90's. It boasts that permadeath is just that permanent. Then is sabotages your moves so it is impossible to continue. I have played for over 200 hours and this is the case every time. The game will not let you find a store for repairs for twelve to fifteen straight moves....anyway, I am just grateful I didn't spend that much on it.
obliviondoll

Re: I can't believe I spent money on this!

Postby obliviondoll » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:56 am

bocephyss wrote:This game supposedly released in 2012 but has the engine of a game from the mid 90's. It boasts that permadeath is just that permanent. Then is sabotages your moves so it is impossible to continue. I have played for over 200 hours and this is the case every time. The game will not let you find a store for repairs for twelve to fifteen straight moves....anyway, I am just grateful I didn't spend that much on it.

I'm relatively new here (less than 1/4 of your experience with the game - I got it a few days before Christmas), but I can safely tell you that you're doing something wrong.

Try playing on easy mode - it's NOT an easy game, and it's not meant to be.

If you didn't know what the game looked like before buying it (simplistic graphics even by 90s standards), you obviously didn't do your research. Or even look at the site you bought the game from. Not every game needs AAA quality graphics to be fun.

And if you need to make 12+ jumps without repairs, maybe you should try being prepared for that. Use your scrap early on for shield and engine upgrades. Getting to at least level 3 engines gives you a 25% dodge chance when manning both the helm and engine room, and having a second shield layer can save you from a LOT of damage.

When I first got the game, it took about 30 hours before I managed to win (second attempt against the final boss was successful). Once you reach area 5, you unlock the Torus - it's probably beneficial to use this rather than the Kestrel at first. It's a great ship, and pretty beginner-friendly.
yomer123123

Postby yomer123123 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:23 pm

bocephyss wrote:This game supposedly released in 2012 but has the engine of a game from the mid 90's. It boasts that permadeath is just that permanent. Then is sabotages your moves so it is impossible to continue. I have played for over 200 hours and this is the case every time. The game will not let you find a store for repairs for twelve to fifteen straight moves....anyway, I am just grateful I didn't spend that much on it.

I'm guessing you are either:
1. Troll
2. 10 years old
3. idiot

There's no way in hell you played 200 hours and that what you think. Heck, I got this game for over a year, and I only played 61 hours. Also, if you always loose, how the f*** did you play 200 hours? And saying that the graphics are from the 90 shows that you know nothing. games back then prayed to look that good. And also, how didn't you know the game looks like this? have seen pictures? Or read reviews?
I really got no answer for you.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:42 pm

yomer123123 wrote:

1. Troll
2. 10 years old
3. idiot

There's no way in hell you played 200 hours and that what you think. Heck, I got this game for over a year, and I only played 61 hours. Also, if you always loose, how the f*** did you play 200 hours? And saying that the graphics are from the 90 shows that you know nothing. games back then prayed to look that good. And also, how didn't you know the game looks like this? have seen pictures? Or read reviews?

nope, my friends little sister plays ftl when he's not, and she's only 8 and wins every so often now.

My best guess is this guy plays games that doesn't relate to strategy at all like Call of Duty for example and only plays games for guns and graphics.

I'm personally sad for this guy, he is rather really bad at lying, or really bad at playing a game. And there was no way for him to not see images of this game, especially if he purchased via steam.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
yomer123123

Postby yomer123123 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:31 pm

R4V3-0N wrote:
yomer123123 wrote:

1. Troll
2. 10 years old
3. idiot

nope, my friends little sister plays ftl when he's not, and she's only 8 and wins every so often now.

My best guess is this guy plays games that doesn't relate to strategy at all like Call of Duty for example and only plays games for guns and graphics.

I'm personally sad for this guy, he is rather really bad at lying, or really bad at playing a game. And there was no way for him to not see images of this game, especially if he purchased via steam.

Infact, if he bought the game with steam, he WOULD have seen pictures. I think he's just a troll
Also your friend got one smart sister.
R4V3-0N

Postby R4V3-0N » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:03 am

Nope, she isn't smart, just the rest of humanity are getting dimmer (some locations faster then others, also scientifically proven in different aspects)

I still wounder what would happen if FTL art was back to it's original concept... that kestrel looks so highly detailed....
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
agigabyte

Postby agigabyte » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:18 am

yomer123123 wrote:2. 10 years old

I believe that would offend many 10 year olds.
obliviondoll

Postby obliviondoll » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:48 am

yomer123123 wrote:There's no way in hell you played 200 hours and that what you think. Heck, I got this game for over a year, and I only played 61 hours. Also, if you always loose, how the f*** did you play 200 hours?

To be fair, I already broke 50 hours after having the game for about a week. And it wasn't until almost 30 before I finally actually won the game. Then again, over the next 20 hours of playtime, I've won another playthrough and am almost up to the final area on what I expect to be my 3rd win.

It helps (if "helps" is the right word) that I'm currently between jobs, and playing FTL while jobhunting. Too much time on my hands.

Also, you spelt "lose" wrong. :P ("loose" is the opposite of "tight")
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:48 pm

FTL can be unkind. Mightily unkind. Some love that, some hate it, but graphics quality has nothing to do with it. And while we're on graphics, 90s graphics were worse than FTLs with few rare exceptions.

That said, it's not really kind to blast someone just for raging at FTL, though i don't belive the 200 hours spent because you'd either learn much about the game's finer points, or give up way before hitting 200.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
LeadHead

Postby LeadHead » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:25 pm

Well, I started playing in 2012 and finished the game for the first time only 2 months ago. Guess you are new to games that don't hold your hand.