Will Steam Beta Key Expire at Launch?

General discussion about the game.
zell_man

Will Steam Beta Key Expire at Launch?

Postby zell_man » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:48 pm

As a lower figure kickstarter, I am unfamiliar with how this works. I downloaded the steam version of FTL when it was opened to $10 kickstarters, and I've been told I will get a DRM free version of the game from GOG.com.
After the Beta is over will I still have access to my steam version, (stats, unlocks, etc.)? Or will I lose access to the Steam version and have to unlock everything again in the official release version?

Great Job! to the dev team, you guys made a great game!
zabbo2

Re: Will Steam Beta Key Expire at Launch?

Postby zabbo2 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:09 pm

We'll get both the GOG version and the steam version :) The steam final version will retain save games, so don't worry about losing all your unlocks. I'm not sure how the Linux or Mac version works but would guess that you order it from gog you are able to download any of the three versions you like (so you could technically if you had a triple boot system play all the 3 versions on the same computer [but the save games will not transfer between versions though of course]) .
zell_man

Postby zell_man » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:08 pm

zabbo2 wrote:We'll get both the GOG version and the steam version :) The steam final version will retain save games, so don't worry about losing all your unlocks. I'm not sure how the Linux or Mac version works but would guess that you order it from gog you are able to download any of the three versions you like (so you could technically if you had a triple boot system play all the 3 versions on the same computer [but the save games will not transfer between versions though of course]) .

That sounds great, do you have a source? Anything...a post, tweet, getsatisfaction page...
Matthew
Site Admin

Postby Matthew » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:06 am

The Steam Beta Key will not expire at launch. You will be welcome to install the GOG version, the Steam version on Windows and Mac, and all three standalone versions that will be available on our website. That's a lot of FTL and is probably not necessary though :)

Every version will use the same save location for the game (My Documents/My Games/FasterThanLight on Windows, ~/Library/Application Support/FasterThanLight on Mac OS X). As long as you install it on the same computer/OS, then any version will look in the right place for the save and all of your stats will be fine.

EDIT: And I'm Matthew, one of the developers btw, just to be clear you're getting it from a valid source :)
Matthew Davis, Subset Games Developer - If you're looking for tech support, you'll get help faster emailing directly, contact info here
zell_man

Postby zell_man » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:53 pm

zasdarq wrote:The Steam Beta Key will not expire at launch. You will be welcome to install the GOG version, the Steam version on Windows and Mac, and all three standalone versions that will be available on our website. That's a lot of FTL and is probably not necessary though :)

Every version will use the same save location for the game (My Documents/My Games/FasterThanLight on Windows, ~/Library/Application Support/FasterThanLight on Mac OS X). As long as you install it on the same computer/OS, then any version will look in the right place for the save and all of your stats will be fine.

EDIT: And I'm Matthew, one of the developers btw, just to be clear you're getting it from a valid source :)

Yes! Thanks. I recognized you from my times skulking around the forums. :-)