Android Port

General discussion about the game.
mahqfsqebr

Re: Android Port

Postby mahqfsqebr » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:11 am

Whinis wrote:DON'T HIT ME.... but I think if possible this game would be pretty easy to play on a tablet ( not a phone) and unlike some other games actually look good while doing it.

agreet! play on a phone is too small for me.
dirtyfool

Postby dirtyfool » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:02 pm

So addicted to this lovely game, I would buy and Android port in a second. Also, I would love to see more tracks from the sound designer. One of the few games where I actually want to hear the game music. Kudos to everyone involved with making this game.
antv311

Postby antv311 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:42 am

I just want to keep this alive with a bump :ugeek:
Platonicsolid

Postby Platonicsolid » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:17 pm

Registered just to agree. Love FTL, just got my first tablet, would happily pay for FTL again to get it on my Transformer.
zeek

Postby zeek » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:05 pm

I guess I'll throw my hat in the ring here too. I don't know how easy it would be to play on a phone/tablet. Seems like clicking is far less precise on such small screens, but I guess with the use of pause you'd get it right eventually. That being said I'd buy it again to be able to play FTL while I'm on a plane or in a waiting room or something.
chambefr

Postby chambefr » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:20 pm

The reason I registered is to show support for this idea. This game would be perfect for tablet, quick dip in for 20-30 mins on the go.

Maybe use a toggle for switching between doors and character selection? Or variable speed might be more suitable for tablet.
Law

Postby Law » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:56 am

From the Humble Indie Bundle 9 AMA conducted recently, it seems that there is a mobile version in the works, at least for Apple's tablets...
zasdarq wrote:We are working on a tablet version and are pretty optimistic about it working out.
We're only focusing on tablets since they provide the ideal experience. The screen size on phones (and phone sized devices) is just too small to comfortably play FTL. Sorry!

EDIT: Tablets do include iPads* if that's what you meant :)

Android may or may not be in the picture, however...
zasdarq wrote:It's all still to be determined. Sorry to leave it vague, we just don't want to make any promises (positive or negative) when we aren't 100% sure of what's going to happen.
Forum mods, for your convenience!
lolmaus

Postby lolmaus » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:09 pm

FTL clones Star Command and Out There are hitting Android.

I've already played Star Command. It is inferior to FTL in every aspect. Battle sistem is primitive. Player's and enemy's ships aren't analogous (Enemy ships have only one weapon, no dodging, no shield charging and unlimited suicide boarding parties. Player's crew are unable to board enemy ships.) Ship upgrades are very limited. The game lacks roguelike features, the most essential of which is replayability. There are only three weapons, all of which are available at start (the ship can carry only two of them). Galaxy exploration is even worse than that of FTL: there's no map, just a list of locations; you can teleport to any unlocked location regardless of the distance; locations unlock as you advance the plot. There is no trading.

But the game has gone live, and i play it. I wish i played FTL instead, where is it? :cry:
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:04 pm

There has been some talk about maybe getting a mobile port of FTL. And until very recently all the signs pointed to the conclusion that it would not be likely.

There has been no word whatsoever on Why? exactly a port has not been created already. I'm not informed any better than anyone else, but it may be a legal or hardware issue. The devs are certainly aware of the demand and would probably like to deliver. In a way it's good that they aren't chasing cash and delivering a sub-par port, but OTOH it seems many people are just waiting.

Ultimatley it may be more about something the devs said once about FTL2. They do not want to move straight into FTL2 development but maybe revisit the project after a few years and possibly create FTL2. Maybe porting FTL this year simply did not fit their plans, or they underestimated demand.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
ManuelLaBor

Postby ManuelLaBor » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:44 pm

lolmaus wrote:FTL clones Star Command and Out There are hitting Android.

I've already played Star Command. It is inferior to FTL in every aspect. Battle sistem is primitive. Player's and enemy's ships aren't analogous (Enemy ships have only one weapon, no dodging, no shield charging and unlimited suicide boarding parties. Player's crew are unable to board enemy ships.) Ship upgrades are very limited. The game lacks roguelike features, the most essential of which is replayability. There are only three weapons, all of which are available at start (the ship can carry only two of them). Galaxy exploration is even worse than that of FTL: there's no map, just a list of locations; you can teleport to any unlocked location regardless of the distance; locations unlock as you advance the plot. There is no trading.

But the game has gone live, and i play it. I wish i played FTL instead, where is it? :cry:

I just made an account to post basically this right here.

But as to not being able to play on a phone, I respectfully disagree. I've played a few tablet only games on my 5.5 inch galaxy note 2 and my friend's 5 inch gs4 (By spoofing google market for those interestedhttp://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2146216).

I know that those are two enormous phones but the average size nowadays for phone display is around 5 inches. Not saying it's ideal but it should work for anything over 5 inches.