Vortex ship a joke?

General discussion about the game.
BadBits

Vortex ship a joke?

Postby BadBits » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:48 am

I've just unlocked Vortex and I just don't get this ship it feels like a massive downgrade and a cruel joke.
Jean-Luc

Re: Vortex ship a joke?

Postby Jean-Luc » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:32 pm

It's probably just supposed to present a unique challenge. Basically all your "bonuses" with this ship are merely there to compensate for the lack of crew. It's hard but actually winning with this ship could feel very satisfying.

Though sometimes I wonder if drones in general are worth the power and resources they take up. 8 power to keep a sys repair, anti-personnel and mkII def drone active in the heat of battle? I don't know man.
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:57 pm

Jean-Luc wrote:It's probably just supposed to present a unique challenge. Basically all your "bonuses" with this ship are merely there to compensate for the lack of crew. It's hard but actually winning with this ship could feel very satisfying.

Though sometimes I wonder if drones in general are worth the power and resources they take up. 8 power to keep a sys repair, anti-personnel and mkII def drone active in the heat of battle? I don't know man.

Why would you need to keep them active when you dont need them? juggle the power bars JL! :)
Jean-Luc

Postby Jean-Luc » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:56 pm

Because I'm being boarded, have damaged systems and there are missiles after my hull. It's very possible for all these things to happen at the same time.

Just saying that it doesn't seem to give enough bang for the buck. Imagine using 8 power for 2 burst lasers, 1 halberd beam and that 1p/2dam missile launcher vs. 1 sys repair drone, 1 def. drone, 1 anti-ship drone and 1 ant-personnel drone.

Would be nice if there were like 8 drone slots so I could, for example switch between 2 anti-ship, 1 beam and 1 def. drone and then go back to support drones when needed but you can't do that.

Haven't yet used mk2 drones, are they really worth 4 power? Mk2 anti-ship/defense drones, 1 system rep and 1 anti-personnel might provide a good balance in terms of offence, defence and support but those high level upgrades are just so expensive and it's hard to justify them for anything except weapons/shields.
censor

Postby censor » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:05 pm

One of the best ships. Period.
BadBits

Postby BadBits » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:17 pm

censor wrote:One of the best ships. Period.

Care to expand on that? I find it frustrating hard to use.
Jean-Luc

Postby Jean-Luc » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:32 pm

I think he might be confusing it with Type A but I dunno.
suttonmitchell

Postby suttonmitchell » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:49 pm

I find the Stealth ship (the first one I unlocked) very hard to use. The lack of shields always ends up with me being killed. I need to practice my strategy I guess. :lol:
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:55 pm

Jean-Luc wrote:Because I'm being boarded, have damaged systems and there are missiles after my hull. It's very possible for all these things to happen at the same time.

Just saying that it doesn't seem to give enough bang for the buck. Imagine using 8 power for 2 burst lasers, 1 halberd beam and that 1p/2dam missile launcher vs. 1 sys repair drone, 1 def. drone, 1 anti-ship drone and 1 ant-personnel drone.

Would be nice if there were like 8 drone slots so I could, for example switch between 2 anti-ship, 1 beam and 1 def. drone and then go back to support drones when needed but you can't do that.

Haven't yet used mk2 drones, are they really worth 4 power? Mk2 anti-ship/defense drones, 1 system rep and 1 anti-personnel might provide a good balance in terms of offence, defence and support but those high level upgrades are just so expensive and it's hard to justify them for anything except weapons/shields.

Activate the stealth and juggle your engine power decrese when not fired upon, and as soon as the enemy fires pause and give those engines back some juice. steal it from the defense drone if there is no missile in the salvo.

The mk 2 attack drone: yes it might be worth it.
The mk 2 defense drone: no, most situations a mk 1 is more then enough. the added "benefit" of it shooting down lasers instead of missiles is not worth 2 more powerbars imo.
censor

Postby censor » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:49 am

Jean-Luc wrote:I think he might be confusing it with Type A but I dunno.

Torus is the best ship. Vortex is just one of the best.

Ion weapon+heavy laser+3drones=win.