The difficulty curve needs work

General discussion about the game.
zell_man

Re: The difficulty curve needs work

Postby zell_man » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:31 am

fall_ark wrote:
I guess players just intuitively think that a game titled "Faster Than Light" would require you go faster. And the "head to the exit beacon as soon as possible!" at every new game doesn't help either. :lol: Heeding that advice would be very unproductive.

oh...hehe, guess my newb is showing...I'm going back to the game now...
Whinis

Postby Whinis » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:01 am

My problem is the random impossible to defeat enemy, Sector 4 had an enemy with 3 attack drones ( 2 anti-ship 1 beam) 2 ion weapons, a beam weapon, and a heavy laser. Along with 2 shields I was unsure how i was expected to defeat an enemy apparently designed to completely and utterly destroy any chance the player has.
zabbo2

Postby zabbo2 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:40 am

I think the difficulty curve is really good and I hope it doesn't get changed :D

I've played an incredible amount since getting in the beta Sunday. And so far, only playing on normal difficulty, I've beat the games .... 0 times, a grand total of 0 times. Which is awesome as far as I'm concerned. I am very pro-randomness, the more the better; it makes things much interesting. Definitely in favor of no save games either, that would wreck the game fast.
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:58 am

Whinis wrote:My problem is the random impossible to defeat enemy, Sector 4 had an enemy with 3 attack drones ( 2 anti-ship 1 beam) 2 ion weapons, a beam weapon, and a heavy laser. Along with 2 shields I was unsure how i was expected to defeat an enemy apparently designed to completely and utterly destroy any chance the player has.

You use the missile or bomb weapons at your disposal. Probably want to take out the drone control first. You stealth early to delay the charge on the enemy weapons. Then you teleport over 6 mantis warriors to raid their ship. :mrgreen:
Then I would like to know exactly how much of that is exaggeration because that really doesn't sound as a sector 4 ship. I don't think I've ever heard of a random enemy with 3 drones. I've never come across any at least. :P

Do you have a screenshot? :)
Matthew
Site Admin

Postby Matthew » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:08 am

Three drones is not common but possible in late game. It should be impossible in sector 4, but bugs can be tricky and evil sometimes. Screenshots would help in debugging if anyone does come across this. It'd be even more helpful if you happen to have level 3 sensors too so I can see exactly what's going on with the ship.
Matthew Davis, Subset Games Developer - If you're looking for tech support, you'll get help faster emailing directly, contact info here
Darthcaboose

Postby Darthcaboose » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:04 am

FTL is a game that requires a lot of pausing. It's very, very difficult to handle everything at once, and the need to pause, take stock of your situation, and try to avoid taking damage or losing crew members is important.

Do games last longer? Yes. Does it require more willpower to keep on pausing the game? Yes. Does everyone like playing the game this way? No. And yet... there are times where I wonder how people can get through the tougher stuff FTL throws at you without using the Pause feature.
GauHelldragon

Postby GauHelldragon » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:04 am

I agree with the OP on this one. I think a lot of you guys are missing his point. He's talking about the 'easy' mode difficulty of the game, which is certainly not easy at all in the last chapter. I don't see why making the 'easy' difficulty easier would hurt the experience of more experienced players, since they are undoubtably playing on 'normal', not 'easy'.

That being said, if people are still venomously opposed to such an idea, might I suggest adding in some sort of 'Tips+Advice' sort of pops ups that could come up to help people out? What about the addition of an even easier game mode (possibly one where you cannot get achievements or unlocks at all).
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:29 am

GauHelldragon wrote:I agree with the OP on this one. I think a lot of you guys are missing his point. He's talking about the 'easy' mode difficulty of the game, which is certainly not easy at all in the last chapter. I don't see why making the 'easy' difficulty easier would hurt the experience of more experienced players, since they are undoubtably playing on 'normal', not 'easy'.

That being said, if people are still venomously opposed to such an idea, might I suggest adding in some sort of 'Tips+Advice' sort of pops ups that could come up to help people out? What about the addition of an even easier game mode (possibly one where you cannot get achievements or unlocks at all).

I didn't miss what the OP was talking about. Think you missed what we were talking about. :P
suttonmitchell

Postby suttonmitchell » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:48 am

I found the difficulty curve just right. I am having a blast so far, but never have I felt like I hit a 'wall' of difficulty...
GauHelldragon

Postby GauHelldragon » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:09 am

The op was say that "easy" is not easy, and it really isn't.