How to make doors a worth-while subsystem to attack

General discussion about the game.
Chief

How to make doors a worth-while subsystem to attack

Postby Chief » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:03 pm

From what I understand, damaging the doors subsystem makes it easier for boarders to move about a ship.

I think it'd be nice if it also hindered crew members moving about their own ship.

For example lets say it normally takes 30 seconds for boarders to break through a normal door, and it takes 0 seconds for a crew member to go through a normal door. Then if the subsystem is destroyed, it then takes 15 seconds for boarders to break through a door, and 15 seconds for a crew member to go through a door.

This gives a player without teleportation devices a reason to attack the door subsystem on an enemy ship, as well as defend their own.

It also rewards players who have successfully specialized their crew members so that broken doors are not as much of a hindrance. For example, if my engineer LaForge is in the engine room already, it doesn't matter if the doors are broken. However if I haven't specialized my crew then the guy stuck in the engine room would need assistance to get it back up faster.

It is also lore friendly, in that it makes sense. The doors are basically broken and relying on manual override which is both easier for a boarder, and more difficult for a crew member.

Comments, questions, criticisms?
Onyx:
Case|Thermaltake L10GT=|=GPU|eVGA GeForce GTX680=|=CPU|Intel I5 2400 3.1G=|=PSU|RAIDMAX 850W RX-850AE R=|=MB|MSI P67A-G45 (B3)=|=SDD|Crucial C300 128 GB (1.25 TB HDD)=|=RAM|Corsair 16 GB DDR3=|=LCS|Black Ice GT 240|EK-FC680|Koolance RP-1005BK
Snake Plissken

Re: How to make doors a worth-while subsystem to attack

Postby Snake Plissken » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:16 pm

I like the idea but i would tweak it a bit.

Sticking with the same scenario of it normally taking 30 seconds to get through. I feel it should take 22 for damaged and then around 15 for destroyed to get in. Now I feel that 15 seconds for the defending ships crew to get through is a little much. I would make it more around 5-10 seconds. After all it is their ship and they would know the ins and outs of it better than anyone broken or not.
Chief

Postby Chief » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:52 pm

It all depends on how it feels during gameplay, but your modification sounds good.
Onyx:
Case|Thermaltake L10GT=|=GPU|eVGA GeForce GTX680=|=CPU|Intel I5 2400 3.1G=|=PSU|RAIDMAX 850W RX-850AE R=|=MB|MSI P67A-G45 (B3)=|=SDD|Crucial C300 128 GB (1.25 TB HDD)=|=RAM|Corsair 16 GB DDR3=|=LCS|Black Ice GT 240|EK-FC680|Koolance RP-1005BK
Snake Plissken

Postby Snake Plissken » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:55 pm

One thing I'm curious about and never messed around with. Are you able to use your own teliporter to move crew on your own ship? That would give this door thing even more layers/ a backup system.
Chief

Postby Chief » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:06 pm

We weren't allowed to use teleporters in the OnLive demo. So I'm not sure. It would definitely be a cool feature.
Onyx:
Jason

Postby Jason » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:18 pm

You know what I would like? If the airlock doors are attacked they can be randomly forced opened and have to be manually closed, i.e. by having a crew member in the room then you can click the airlock doors closed.

Also I would like enemy ships to have airlocks that you can force open by firing at them.

Wondered how did they get into there ships with no airlocks.
Freyar

Postby Freyar » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:07 pm

I prefer the idea that you can't remotely control them instead. It isn't like there aren't emergency overrides or releases built in.
Jason

Postby Jason » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:14 pm

If you look at a picture of the kestrel you will see a room with two lines for its icon like II this room controls the doors when its damaged enough you can not turn the doors on or off manualy but the crew can still go through them.

Maybe when boarding boarders have to cut there way through the doors unless the subsystem is damaged instead of just walking around the ship but boarders can get to the II room they can turn the doors agenest the crew and they have to cut there way through.
veryalien

Postby veryalien » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:00 am

Jason wrote:If you look at a picture of the kestrel you will see a room with two lines for its icon like II this room controls the doors when its damaged enough you can not turn the doors on or off manualy but the crew can still go through them.

Maybe when boarding boarders have to cut there way through the doors unless the subsystem is damaged instead of just walking around the ship but boarders can get to the II room they can turn the doors agenest the crew and they have to cut there way through.

I would like to see boarding parties damage components. I'd especially like it if damaged components assisted the boarding party in taking over the ship. The power grid is another target I'd like to see a boarding party be able to disable, and perhaps it would be their goal to disable it, and teleport out.
Stelly

Postby Stelly » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:01 am

I think that damaging certian subsystems should make door hard to open... that would be rather cool :)

Stelly