ftl multiplayer?

General discussion about the game.
spidasense

ftl multiplayer?

Postby spidasense » Mon May 06, 2013 2:43 am

would this be possible? im thinking something like gta:samp (grand theft auto: san andreas multiplayer). I have no experience programming though or anything like that just wondering if it would be possible. even if it is just like a race to the end of the sector or something idk
MormonJedi1

Re: ftl multiplayer?

Postby MormonJedi1 » Mon May 06, 2013 9:39 pm

Possibly possible.
terrybiel

Postby terrybiel » Wed May 08, 2013 10:10 pm

It would be difficult to work out mechanics that allow head-to-head without seriously distorting or breaking the mechanics of the game. FTL is sort of a turn-based game packed into a smooth implementation of time; it allows the player to dictate where the "turns" occur. In a head-to-head game, how would pausing work, whether in combat or for shopping/upgrades? Would all players have to wait to make the next jump until everyone was ready? Once a player was destroyed, would they be out for good?

Something that works with the mechanics a little more readily would be a co-op experience, where players control different crew members and/or systems. But even so, that raises has a lot of unanswered questions about the foundational aspects of the game.
spidasense

Postby spidasense » Tue May 14, 2013 7:58 pm

yea I was thinking like waiting for everyone to finish their turn. or maybe it could be players vs. mega ships or something. idk I just think it would be a worthy project if some developers decided to work on something. I say this because I don't have any experience making programs, at least not yet
IConquer

Postby IConquer » Wed May 15, 2013 7:27 pm

I would enjoy an aspect of PvP where you're given a value system: Each ship comes with a preset amount of scrap and augments/weapons, and you build your ship from there. No pausing, fight to the death.