What would your 'C' ship variants be?

General discussion about the game.
Jerjare

What would your 'C' ship variants be?

Postby Jerjare » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:47 pm

There is a general theme of having 'A' variant of each ship being on the versatile side, while the 'B' variants tend to be specialized, forcing you to balance their strength with crippling weaknesses (Engi B has only 1 crew, Zoltan B has no normal shield, Rock B has no door control or airlocks, Slug B has no Medbay, etc)

So what would your 'C' variants be? Here's mine:

Kestrel C: I would make this one actually specialized, as a more scouty variant: Advanced Sensors, Advanced FTL, 2 Minibeams, and extra starting fuel. Your starting weapons are useless vs shielded ships, but you'll have more opportunities to explore sectors to find better weapons or kill drone ships.

Fed Cruiser 'C': Emphasizing all you really need is the Artillery Beam, i'd give it no weapons, Artillery Beam 2, 2 shield bubbles, an Engi, Slug, Rock, and Zoltan.

Engi 'C': A true droneship with a sole Engi, Ion blast, Beam drone, anti ship drone, defense drone, but only 1 bar of shield power (like Zoltan B) and no Medbay.

Zoltan 'C': Super specialized and stripped down. Completely lacks standard shields, medbay, door control, and sensors. But, it has Zoltan shield, drone control (antipersonnel drone), 4 pad teleporter, cloak, 4 Zoltan, Heavy Pierce laser and Heal Burst.

Slug 'C': Ssssssteal their oxsssssygen! Breach Bomb, Pierce laser. The idea is to knock out their O2 system long enough for them to choke to death.

Rock 'C': Small Bomb, Fire Beam. No shields, but Helm 2 and 5 engines.

Mantis 'C': Bio Beam, Basic Laser, 2 pad teleporter. Zap the enemy crew, then warp in your Mantis to finish them off.

Stealth 'C': Small Bomb, 4 Pad teleporter, stealth, 4 human crew.
Jaggedmallard

Re: What would your 'C' ship variants be?

Postby Jaggedmallard » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:27 pm

They seem like good ideas but having a Kestrel C with no weapon capable of piercing shields would be very very difficult.
966socho

Postby 966socho » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:57 pm

I think it would be an interesting playstyle not covered by any of the standard ships

I would love a Rock C that starts out with fire weapons and boarding. Can't do a thing against drones but then again neither can the Mantis B.
Crusher

Postby Crusher » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:00 pm

My ideas for type Cs will be gradually appearing here:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14457
as mods for the game. The original concepts were somewhat different but adapted to the limitations of modding in FTL. Still I find them pretty fun and new.
Crusher's Type C(hallenge) Mod Ships containing:
Mantis Type C: The Sarcosuchus (No O2!)
Engi Type C: The Singularity (Boarding Drones!)
Zoltan Type C: The Annihilator (No Starting Reactor Power!)
Rock Type C: Krakatoa (Fire Boarding!)
Agg Shell

Postby Agg Shell » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:11 pm

966socho wrote:
I would love a Rock C that starts out with fire weapons and boarding. Can't do a thing against drones but then again neither can the Mantis B.

Thats why we have the rock B, my friend :)

On another note, i think you should unlock these by getting all 3 achevements on a ship, and choosing 1 other achevement from another ship to complete, and then you would have yourself a fine ship type c
Are you a mantis? Do you lack ships to fight and Zoltans to chew? Look no further! Come to your nearest mantis warcamp in the Zoltan Homeworlds or Zoltan controled sector and ask for a free brochure about how to farm the Zoltan! Results may very.