Engine Failure Challenge...

General discussion about the game.
VanguardOfValor

Engine Failure Challenge...

Postby VanguardOfValor » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:01 pm

Looking for another new kind of FTL challenge to make things a bit more difficult? Well you've come to the right place!

I've recently tried playing a new kind of challenge run which I have dubbed the "Engine Failure Challenge", and the name more or less tells you what it involves: using any of the 18 original ships, complete the game without ever having more than one level of engines. Ships which start out with more than one level of engines can still be used as long as they never have more than one power bar.

Not being able to dodge very well makes for some interesting challenges, and can cause you to play quite a bit differently than normal, I found. Give it a shot and see what you think!
Various Valorous Videos, should you be interested...
MC3craze

Re: Engine Failure Challenge...

Postby MC3craze » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:09 pm

Seems like ships that start with one engine bar (Mantis B, Engi B) are perfect for the job. Especially since both start with a drone bay, and one already has a defense drone and level 2 shields. Combine that with the overpoweredness of boarding and you have a solid plan.

Although if you encounter an enemy you need to run from, or a hazard area like a star, you will have a lot of trouble getting out of there without taking at least some hits.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:56 am

I picked the Adjudicator because it has the supershield as an advantage. But then i noticed that i still don't have a win in the Noether so i picked that instead. Frankly, without engines to help evade, the supershield is a subparshield instead. The run ended badly despite going really well.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xy07ln ... videogames
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Dralax

Postby Dralax » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:04 pm

I did this + sole survivor in one run using Zoltan A. http://imgur.com/a/Rnall

I really didn't notice it changing my gameplay too much. Power surges were certainly much worse, enemy ships with lots of ion/lasers were a bit more difficult and I had to skip a few beacons in early sectors to get to exit before the rebel fleet did as running thourgh them with engine 1 and poor weapons would be suicide.