Events which test the player morally

General discussion about the game.
Bedshaped

Events which test the player morally

Postby Bedshaped » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:57 pm

Something I would like to see in the final game are scenarios where you might come across something more than just hostile ships while exploring.

It would be cool to come across Neutral ships or utility vessels like mining or transport ships and have an option to "hold them up" or destroy them. Some would be much weaker (not outfitted for combat) but attacking them would reap some benefit to the player at the cost of moral righteousness and infamy.

Obviously there might be some cases where the player will want to play as a "good" Captain, but circumstances might lead to desperation and stealing from friendly vessels might be your only option. Other times you might just be ruthless and need to pillage from whoever you can you achieve your primary mission.

I would like to add that something I don't like in games are things like paragon/renegade bars in Mass Effect. The only thing your choices in the game should matter to is how NPCs react to you and treat your actions. If you make a bad name for yourself, pirates should be less inclined to cross paths with you and other ships should be less enthusiastic to help you.

Here's an example of how "moral choice" events could play out (underlined is chosen option):
  • You arrive in system and detect a pirate ship attacking a mining barge. The barge is badly damaged with inferior weapons and requests help:
    • 1. Target the Pirate ship
    • 2. Target the Mining barge
    • 3. Open Comm channel with Pirates
    • 4. Warp away
  • *player engages and destroys pirate ship gaining x scrap and x fuel another menu appears* <you did a "good thing" so the barge will want to reward you and positive fame is earned in the galaxy>
  • The barge is now alone in system. You receive a hail from them:
    • 1. Open Comm channel with Barge
    • 2. Target the Mining barge
    • 3. Warp away
  • *player engages and destroys barge gaining x scrap and x fuel* <you did a "bad thing" which overrides whatever morally decent thing you did saving them from the pirates>

In that above situation word might then spread about your renegade actions and situation might arise where ships could attack you who would normally not or less trade options would be open to you.
Freyar

Re: Events which test the player morally

Postby Freyar » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:04 pm

I have to ask, was your suggestion influenced by EvE Online's Butterfly Effect promo?

As far as the idea, sure that's an idea, though my time through the prototype/alpha build had shown some neutral vessels that were ripe for "a plunderin'" if that was your preference.
ezryder

Postby ezryder » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:07 pm

That would be cool. having "local" moral implications and "global" would be cool, too.

With the mining barge example, if the player wants to be good and help the barge, when they encounter other miners in the sector, they view them favorably, possibly giving them some fuel or a little scrap. Meanwhile pirates would attack the player on sight. OTOH, if the player goes the bad guy route, the pirates may offer them a deal or info on juicy targets. Or it may open up trade with a pirate base, or pirate assistance when encountering "police" type forces in the current sector.

The "global" could be an extension of the "local" morality in that if the player consistently is good/bad in multiple sectors, their reputation precedes them in future sectors. Also being a pirate friend in one sector wouldn't guarantee that the pirates in the next sector would welcome the player with open arms (and not loaded missile launchers). :)
Chief

Postby Chief » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:08 pm

In a smaller implementation of a moral system. Have moral choices, but don't necessarily keep track of the ethics of a captain.

If I keep repeatedly raping and pillaging across the galaxy, I will hopefully feel bad about it. Or maybe at some point my ship will be so damaged that I can't afford to take the 'nice' option, and will instead have to do something that conflicts with my personal ethics.

That kind of situation will impact me personally, even if repercussions aren't coded into the game proper.
Onyx:
Case|Thermaltake L10GT=|=GPU|eVGA GeForce GTX680=|=CPU|Intel I5 2400 3.1G=|=PSU|RAIDMAX 850W RX-850AE R=|=MB|MSI P67A-G45 (B3)=|=SDD|Crucial C300 128 GB (1.25 TB HDD)=|=RAM|Corsair 16 GB DDR3=|=LCS|Black Ice GT 240|EK-FC680|Koolance RP-1005BK
Stelly

Postby Stelly » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:08 pm

Sounds like a great idea, alot of work involved I can imagine, but something that would put a twist on the game :)

Stelly
Bedshaped

Postby Bedshaped » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:26 pm

Freyar wrote:I have to ask, was your suggestion influenced by EvE Online's Butterfly Effect promo?

Maybe on a subconscious level it probably was. It's a cool video even if it represents nothing about what "real EVE" is like.

I like those kinds of ethics weighing/"what you do matters" type things though.
ajurna

Postby ajurna » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:43 pm

only if i can go in threaten to blow them both up unless they both pay me. or even help the highest bidder! real morality is more than binary :D
hell i want to get the bounty then blow the guys up anyway cause maybe im a dick like that :P
Jacos138

Postby Jacos138 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:55 pm

Morally? Oh please, I hack, slash, burn, pillage, and generally be an asshole in games - morals are nothing. If there were decisions in the game which were based purely on morals, then everybody would choose the "evil" approach - if gave punishments for choosing the "evil" approach, than it's an infamy system, not "events which test the player morally".
Justin
Site Admin

Postby Justin » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:12 pm

Yeah, like Jacos138 said, morality can be tough in a games. As soon as a positive or negative feedback is given for a 'moral' choice, most gamers are hard-wired to respond only to the feedback and ignore any moral consequences. I personally love moral grey areas more than clear black/white options. We'll try and add as much as variety as possible.
If you're having hull problems, I feel bad for you son. I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
Bedshaped

Postby Bedshaped » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:14 pm

Jacos138 wrote:Morally? Oh please, I hack, slash, burn, pillage, and generally be an asshole in games - morals are nothing.

I am the complete opposite of this. What "you" do and expect to do in a game isn't what everyone will do.

Jacos138 wrote:If there were decisions in the game which were based purely on morals, then everybody would choose the "evil" approach

If it's a benefits thing you mean, I've clearly outlined benefits to choosing either. There are already good and bad people in the game, and what you do might change the way they look as you.

if gave punishments for choosing the "evil" approach, than it's an infamy system, not "events which test the player morally".

It's not a punishment, just different choices resulting in different outcomes. A player can decide if we wants to strictly adhere to one moral outlook or act strategically.