Fire Surpression Systems

General discussion about the game.
Stelly

Fire Surpression Systems

Postby Stelly » Tue May 01, 2012 1:57 pm

After looking at the vids I was thinking fire surpression systems, that would be cool, maybe it should cost a fair bit, but it would be cool, maybe pre room, or different level of surpression, so for example the length of time taken to put out a fire :D

Stelly
Samson

Re: Fire Surpression Systems

Postby Samson » Tue May 01, 2012 2:46 pm

I think that would work. If it's per room it doesn't need to be too expensive (~30-40 scrap), or you could make it cheaper (~15-25) with negative side effects. Since it would probably be a gas based fire supression system (electronics and water don't mix) you could give it the same effects as depressurizing the room (bad for anyone in the room when it goes off, affects the O2 lvls as you'd have to scub the gas out afterwards) and less effective if the doors to the room are open.

Per room is a better way in my mind, that way you'd more likely upgrade the most important rooms first (weapons, engine room) and people would actally use it as opposed to a 100-200 scrap shipwide system.
Stelly

Postby Stelly » Tue May 01, 2012 3:49 pm

I think I would have a room for the surpression cannisters and then upgrade your rooms after the main system is installed, hitting that room stops the fire surpression system, because its got combustible cannisters in there it would damage other rooms, but the room itself should be reinforced....

God I get so excited about this game :D

Stelly
Niknaktom

Postby Niknaktom » Tue May 01, 2012 4:37 pm

Or you could have a simple thing like a system which sucks the oxygen out of the room. But yea I love this idea and I also think per room is a good idea
Only fools go, where angels fear to tread
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Tue May 01, 2012 5:07 pm

Couldn't you use foam to supress fire without negative effects? or do we need the drawback for the gameplay?
Snake Plissken

Postby Snake Plissken » Tue May 01, 2012 5:14 pm

I almost always just vented the compartments to space.
Warbird

Postby Warbird » Tue May 01, 2012 5:16 pm

Gorlom wrote:Couldn't you use foam to supress fire without negative effects? or do we need the drawback for the gameplay?

I'd say so. Being able to quickly eliminate fire without downsides makes the fire a non threat. Kind of like how VALVe made the Pyro's afterburn a bit of a joke by giving almost all classes a means of countering it. Managing fire should be the result of micromanaging your resources and weighing risk vs reward. Higher levels of suppression systems should allow for easier control of fires so you can focus on other areas, but not remove the danger altogether. Then again, I'm no game dev, so I could be wrong.
praguepride

Postby praguepride » Tue May 01, 2012 9:08 pm

Possibly have two different levels of fire suppression:

First cheap method sucks out the oxygen, but that is hazardous to the crew present.
Second more expensive only deals with the fire and doesn't impact the crew or performance.
Snake Plissken

Postby Snake Plissken » Tue May 01, 2012 10:34 pm

praguepride wrote:Possibly have two different levels of fire suppression:

First cheap method sucks out the oxygen, but that is hazardous to the crew present.
Second more expensive only deals with the fire and doesn't impact the crew or performance.

the first one is already in the game. You just open the doors to space and vent the compartment.
chanman

Postby chanman » Wed May 02, 2012 2:15 am

The downside could be just taking up space in the room, reducing the number of crew members who can be in the room repairing/using it.