What do you wish was in FTL?

General discussion about the game.
terrybiel
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 10:00 pm

Re: What do you wish was in FTL?

Postby terrybiel » Wed May 29, 2013 4:10 pm

5thHorseman wrote:Actually this could be done in a mod, I think. I've never played with this but I'm starting to think of a "Better Spiders" mod :)


Hey, if you're a modder, go nuts. I think it could be pretty boss. I'm not sure whether the game engine and UI as it stands would allow a large, scrollable map of sorts to go diving in, which might limit how big and free the encounters could be.
User avatar
5thHorseman
Posts: 1672
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:29 am
Location: On the bridge of The Potential
Contact:

Re: What do you wish was in FTL?

Postby 5thHorseman » Wed May 29, 2013 9:30 pm

terrybiel wrote:
5thHorseman wrote:Actually this could be done in a mod, I think. I've never played with this but I'm starting to think of a "Better Spiders" mod :)


Hey, if you're a modder, go nuts. I think it could be pretty boss. I'm not sure whether the game engine and UI as it stands would allow a large, scrollable map of sorts to go diving in, which might limit how big and free the encounters could be.


I think I'm thinking something a little less robust than you're thinking. My idea is kind of a "choose your own adventure" type mini-encounter. You can choose up to 4 crew members to send in, and specify which ones. If you only send 1, he's got like a 99% chance of dying. If you send 2, there's a 75% chance one will die, and a 25% chance you'll win. If you send 3, it's 50/50 that one will die or you'll win. 4 is like 25/75 or something.

And then maybe give rockmen and mantises a bit of an edge, and zoltans and engi a bit of a detriment. Slugs could have a chance of talking to the spiders and learning that they're just lost and want passage to a nearby planet. :D
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
The Captain
Posts: 388
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:44 am

Re: What do you wish was in FTL?

Postby The Captain » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:21 am

I wish there were a bit more capacity in Weapons Control - even a measly ninth bar could come in handy. And a little extra Reactor capacity, just a couple bars.
IgnanMagus
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 4:55 am

Re: What do you wish was in FTL?

Postby IgnanMagus » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:14 pm

I think some sort of defense weapon would be good. It would be like a laser needing only one power bar, and would have a short charge time, but would only affect drones or missiles. You could fire it at that pesky anti-ship drone that is eating up your ship's hull, or take out that defense drone that's blocking your missiles, or you could smash that incoming missile with it.
Another thing would be more Mk. II drones, like a Mk. II sys repair drone would have double health and fix things twice as fast, but would take more power to use.
Theodrim
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:01 pm

Re: What do you wish was in FTL?

Postby Theodrim » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:09 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing a weapon that drained oxygen. Something like,

Thermobaric Bomb

Power 2, Cooldown 20, Cost 60, Rarity 2

A variant of the typical fire bomb, this miniaturized fuel-air explosive drains all oxygen from the room in which it explodes, and deals 1 damage to personnel and systems in the room for every two squares of room size (i.e. 1 personnel/system damage for 1x2 rooms, and 2 personnel/system damage for 2x2 rooms).

I also wouldn't mind seeing an anti-bio bomb (maybe 2-3 damage, just to offset its shield-bypassing nature).
LastDay
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:34 am

Re: What do you wish was in FTL?

Postby LastDay » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:59 am

Theodrim wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing a weapon that drained oxygen. Something like,

Thermobaric Bomb

Power 2, Cooldown 20, Cost 60, Rarity 2

A variant of the typical fire bomb, this miniaturized fuel-air explosive drains all oxygen from the room in which it explodes, and deals 1 damage to personnel and systems in the room for every two squares of room size (i.e. 1 personnel/system damage for 1x2 rooms, and 2 personnel/system damage for 2x2 rooms).

I also wouldn't mind seeing an anti-bio bomb (maybe 2-3 damage, just to offset its shield-bypassing nature).

I like your ideas!

I'd like to see a ship that utilizes the oxygen system better.
Right now using suffocation is only really good when fighting boarders on your own ship.

Maybe a ship that starts with Heavy Crystal Mark II and Crystal Lockdown bombs to make breaches and block the oxygen room.
Or block rooms with breaches?
I wonder if lockdown lets air through.

Give it an augment that makes enemy ships deplete of oxygen faster.

Or just add a new beam or laser weapon that has a high breach chance in exchange for having very low or no damage.
User avatar
Sleeper Service
Posts: 2305
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:49 pm

Re: What do you wish was in FTL?

Postby Sleeper Service » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:25 pm

Theodrim wrote:I also wouldn't mind seeing an anti-bio bomb (maybe 2-3 damage, just to offset its shield-bypassing nature).


Been there, done that. ;)
r 1
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:05 pm

Re: What do you wish was in FTL?

Postby r 1 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:32 pm

a fully robotic race that does not utilize oxygen, and playable ships to go along with it

also, if your entire crew is on a non-AI controlled enemy ship while yours is destroyed, you should be able to take control over it instead of it being game over
Nimbostratus
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:51 am
Contact:

Re: What do you wish was in FTL?

Postby Nimbostratus » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:24 pm

Since FTL is a roguelike (sorta) why not take a page from other roguelikes: Once in a while, you might come across the wreck of a familiar ship - your "corpse" from a previous, failed attempt - and although there's not much left, you might be able to scavenge a weapon or some scrap or somesuch.
Binestar
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:16 pm

Re: What do you wish was in FTL?

Postby Binestar » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:24 pm

I'd like to see a form of shipbuilder where you can create a "C" type layout for ships which could give score modifiers based on how difficult a layout is.

For instance. If you locate the teleporter section near the med bay, you get a negative bonus for score, for running a "easy" game. If you have airlocks all over you get a negative bonus for difficultly. Differently, if you make it so your med bay is only 2 large instead of 3 large or make it so your shield room can only hold 2 instead of 4, you get a difficultly bonus modifier.

This way you can adjust layouts and airlocks to your choosing, but your score is adjusted based on the way it affects the difficulty of the game.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests