What do you wish was in FTL?

General discussion about the game.
aaaaaa50

Re: What do you wish was in FTL?

Postby aaaaaa50 » Thu May 23, 2013 12:20 am

5thHorseman wrote:And the first time I beat him? It was on Normal mode. By accident. I started the game, forgot to select "easy" and figured I'd just go for it because why not?

Just to note, the difference between easy and normal is that in easy you get more scrap in the first 3 sectors and in normal your score is increased by 25%.

Personally, what I'd like more than anything else is a hard mord for FTL. I've played mods that make the game more difficult and provide more varied battles, but the boss is always the same. If Overdrive comes out, I'd love to play different bosses.
First ever AE-exclusive ship mod: The Extra Features!
Ye Olde and Outdated Pre-AE Ship Mod Recommendation List!
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Thu May 23, 2013 1:10 am

aaaaaa50 wrote:
5thHorseman wrote:And the first time I beat him? It was on Normal mode. By accident. I started the game, forgot to select "easy" and figured I'd just go for it because why not?

Just to note, the difference between easy and normal is that in easy you get more scrap in the first 3 sectors and in normal your score is increased by 25%.

I actually know that, but having more scrap to start means more upgrades which means the final boss is easier, assuming you make it that far.

Personally, what I'd like more than anything else is a hard mord for FTL. I've played mods that make the game more difficult and provide more varied battles, but the boss is always the same. If Overdrive comes out, I'd love to play different bosses.

Me too. I'd love just to fight 3 versions of the "Infinite Space" bosses instead of the 3 flagships.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
niacin

Postby niacin » Thu May 23, 2013 6:29 am

"That's 26 plays, probably averaging an hour each time."

Now you've played 26 hours. That is 3 workdays. Not everyone has the same amount of time for a computer game. That's why I told the conclusion: easy should do for casual players, maybe a medium for you, and a hard for you and those who like to do a work like of an analyst's or engineer's to spend several hours (in total) on tweaking numbers, read tables and draw graphs to beat the hard game.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Thu May 23, 2013 7:31 am

I'm still disagreeing. Casual gamers should play Angry Birds or Fruit Ninja.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB

Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Mon May 27, 2013 7:43 pm

I always felt like drones should be able to engage other drones. This could come in the form of counter drones, as an offensive and defensive version for on power. The defensive counter drone targets drones near your ship, the offensive one attacks enemy defense and repair drones (that don't exist in vanilla yet). Normal drones could have 25% evasion, counter drones 75% instead, so defensive counter drone VS offensive counter drones could have long exiting fights round ships, so you an cheer for you little meaningless robot. Offensive counter drones could also slowly attack the enemy ship after they are done with their task, to make them more useful.
terrybiel

Postby terrybiel » Tue May 28, 2013 11:18 am

Here's one, unless it's been mentioned: Away Teams.

The mechanics already exist for crew to fight and move around and such. So how about on those encounters where you fight no-joke giant spiders or have a station that is on fire, you get to select some number of crew to send over and play it out. You could even have "blue" options in the form of certain consoles or other interactions that only certain types of crew are capable of interacting with, etc etc.
966socho

Postby 966socho » Tue May 28, 2013 6:32 pm

A feature I thought of is the ability to save replays. It should be a faithful recording of every event encountered and every shot fired, minus all the pausing. Not only would this be a boon to those of us too stupid to figure out a screen recorder (guilty), it would also be a great tool for the devs to debug--just attach your replay! With the replay system I can also record my touch pad runs, which are nearly four hours long due to excessive pausing.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Tue May 28, 2013 7:46 pm

terrybiel wrote:Here's one, unless it's been mentioned: Away Teams.

The mechanics already exist for crew to fight and move around and such. So how about on those encounters where you fight no-joke giant spiders or have a station that is on fire, you get to select some number of crew to send over and play it out. You could even have "blue" options in the form of certain consoles or other interactions that only certain types of crew are capable of interacting with, etc etc.

Actually this could be done in a mod, I think. I've never played with this but I'm starting to think of a "Better Spiders" mod :)
My Videos - MY MOD HUB

966socho

Postby 966socho » Wed May 29, 2013 6:58 am

Perhaps the blue options would be if you had a telepad or boarding drone, and disable the weapons so as to force you to fight hand-to-hand combat.
niacin

Postby niacin » Wed May 29, 2013 7:39 am

5thHorseman wrote:I'm still disagreeing. Casual gamers should play Angry Birds or Fruit Ninja.

Casual gamers then won't spend their money on this game, but it's not my business.

5thHorseman wrote:One of the things I LOVE about FTL is that sometimes, you simply cannot win. You get beaten not because you didn't have the best strategy or the best tactics, but just because the game doesn't care that your feelings are going to get hurt.

- sectors are randomized
- stars (stores) are randomized
- enemies are limited-randomized
- events are randomized, the outcomes are randomized
- battle elements are somewhat randomized

So when you can't win though you may win other times, it means you loose against a random generator because the random elements are the only difference between two particular plays. It is by simple, straightforward logic.