Sole Survivor Challenge...

General discussion about the game.
LONCHIVAR

Re: Sole Survivor Challenge...

Postby LONCHIVAR » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:16 am

Here is the video link of clips I took of BATMAN along the way.

http://youtu.be/nzT7x5oaiG0

No... I don't plan on quiting my day job.

If only my day job could be playing FTL!!!

LONCHIVAR
Dontmindme

Postby Dontmindme » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:36 pm

4th try with the Kestral A (Normal - No beacon paths - same human from the start)
Success!!!
Once through sector 2 it was a breeze. Very end of 2 gave me a 2nd Burst Laser 2. Add a Burst Laser I and Heavy Laser I in that was my final weapons kit.
Survived with 1/2 my hull intact, no repairs between. Fully upgraded except for the last 2 or 3 drone control bubbles. (Well, except for Teleporter which was never purchased)
Should also be noted, my starting guy recorded zero kills until a boarding drone snuck past the Defense drone right into Pilot control during Phase 2.

Score: 5797
Ships: 58
Beacons: 108
Scrap: 2398
MC3craze

Postby MC3craze » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:07 pm

Dontmindme wrote:4th try with the Kestral A (Normal - No beacon paths - same human from the start)
Success!!!
Once through sector 2 it was a breeze. Very end of 2 gave me a 2nd Burst Laser 2. Add a Burst Laser I and Heavy Laser I in that was my final weapons kit.
Survived with 1/2 my hull intact, no repairs between. Fully upgraded except for the last 2 or 3 drone control bubbles. (Well, except for Teleporter which was never purchased)
Should also be noted, my starting guy recorded zero kills until a boarding drone snuck past the Defense drone right into Pilot control during Phase 2.

Score: 5797
Ships: 58
Beacons: 108
Scrap: 2398

Nice, how well did you do with boarders?
Dontmindme

Postby Dontmindme » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:55 pm

Bought blast doors 2 as first upgrade after shields 2 (+ 2 power). Ran the game with half the ship airless. Left just a path from helm to O2 - in case O2 got hit and it needed repairs. Made suffocating the enemy easy. Even the rooms in the path being one room from an airless one meant they went airless very quickly with an open door + O2 off. The few times pilot room got boarded, I just opened the door and ran to Med Bay (closing the doors). I didn't bother fighting, just ran from room to room closing the doors behind me like a horror film.

All major systems were also one door away if they needed repairs, just closing doors and opening it to the air path made it habitable almost immediately. Of course, I did buy a Sys Repair drone at first opportunity. Mostly so I didn't have to give up evasion to repair mid battle. It was fortunately offered at the store I bought drone control (think I sold the Artemis for the scrap).

It was interesting. Little things you can't do make a big difference with 1 crew. Losing 10% evasion sucked but also bad was lack of weapons crew. A manned weapons room in a normal game will usually preempt at least some weapons firings, but unmanned you are taking the full first volley and 10% evasion shy. Of course you can also take no chances with various crew loss events. Was different playing without teleportation but I did chose as many nebula zones as i could (to take advantage of the Slug - please suffocate me - ships).
Dralax

Postby Dralax » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:16 pm

Did it with Slug A. Score was 4996 on Normal. I think I'll try it again with some other ship as it was a really cool playthrough. imgur album
VanguardOfValor

Postby VanguardOfValor » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:33 pm

LONCHIVAR wrote:MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!

After THE DONALD died to a serious case of EVENT HORIZON with the WINDOWS UPDATE last night I decided to play BATMAN flying the BATBOX.

[...]

This was FUN.

I love this game.

LONCHIVAR

I'm glad you managed to complete the challenge after getting robbed by windows updates! That must have been infuriating. :P

I like how tense the game can get when you only have one crew who has to do everything.

Your highlight reel with batman voiceovers was fairly entertaining too. :P

Dontmindme wrote:Bought blast doors 2 as first upgrade after shields 2 (+ 2 power). Ran the game with half the ship airless. Left just a path from helm to O2 - in case O2 got hit and it needed repairs. Made suffocating the enemy easy. Even the rooms in the path being one room from an airless one meant they went airless very quickly with an open door + O2 off. The few times pilot room got boarded, I just opened the door and ran to Med Bay (closing the doors). I didn't bother fighting, just ran from room to room closing the doors behind me like a horror film.

All major systems were also one door away if they needed repairs, just closing doors and opening it to the air path made it habitable almost immediately. Of course, I did buy a Sys Repair drone at first opportunity. Mostly so I didn't have to give up evasion to repair mid battle. It was fortunately offered at the store I bought drone control (think I sold the Artemis for the scrap).

I found during my run that you generally didn't need to leave the oxygen offline most of the time. If you vented the entire ship as soon as you got into a fight with a teleporter, I found you could generally drain the oxygen out (and turn the O2 system of as well) and lock the doors before the enemy could do anything about it. Of course, having level 2/3 doors helped. But yeah, system repair drones make everything better in this challenge. :P

Dralax wrote:Did it with Slug A. Score was 4996 on Normal. I think I'll try it again with some other ship as it was a really cool playthrough. imgur album

Nicely done! I wonder if it would be possible with a Mantis as your only crew member... Not having that reasonable repair speed would be incredibly painful early on...
Various Valorous Videos, should you be interested...