[Suggestion] Overpower

General discussion about the game.
ruler

[Suggestion] Overpower

Postby ruler » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:39 pm

Some systems, such as shields, engines and weapons, could be allowed to "overpower". That is, if you have available power, you can add extra power to the system beyond the system's maximum.

The penalty for this would be that the overpowered system takes damage while overpowered. Maybe also chance of fire.

For every 2-3 system power level, 1 level of overpower should be allowed, to a total of 2-4.

Damage rate should be about 125% of repair speed. That is, it will damage faster than a human can repair, while an Engi can repair faster than it can damage.
UltraMantis

Re: [Suggestion] Overpower

Postby UltraMantis » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:53 pm

That's a pretty good suggestion. And a nice first post as well. :D Welcome to the forum!

About damage rate.. would it be better if the damage rate went up the more you overpowered a system? Let's say that you could OP a system by 3 power bars. If you used all 3, the system should be burned out in seconds (burned out meaning one bar not the entire system).

Would you allow a system to be overpowered if it was damaged (1 bar damaged or more)? This would limit the possibilities, but make it a more interesting choice.

Damage cause by overpowering. Does it remain (the way damage done by boarders remains untill you dispose of them) permanently or does it slowly dissapear?
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
ruler

Postby ruler » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:59 pm

Thanks!

Now that you mention it, damage rate going up would probably be a better way to "soft balance" the mechanic. That is, no limit to how much you can OP a system, but with the following damage rates:
1 OP - 125% repair speed
2 OP - 300% repair speed
3 OP - 475% repair speed
and going up exponentially.

Would you allow a system to be overpowered if it was damaged (1 bar damaged or more)? This would limit the possibilities, but make it a more interesting choice.

How about this: if already damaged, the overpower damage rate increases by, say 50% per damage bar.

Damage cause by overpowering. Does it remain (the way damage done by boarders remains untill you dispose of them) permanently or does it slowly dissapear?

I think it would be best if the damage functions as with all other damage.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:17 pm

ruler wrote:I think it would be best if the damage functions as with all other damage.

What i meant is, that it would dissapear if OP was turned off.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
ruler

Postby ruler » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:19 pm

What i meant is, that it would dissapear if OP was turned off.

No.

Damage is damage! If you manage to overpower away the entire system, you will also take hull damage.