IDEA - Make all ships viable for Crystal Cruiser hunting

General discussion about the game.
BloodOathX

IDEA - Make all ships viable for Crystal Cruiser hunting

Postby BloodOathX » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:37 am

So pretty much everyone I've talked to who has the Rock Cruiser but doesn't have the Crystal Cruiser feels obligated, if not forced, to use the Rock Cruiser for play-throughs because 'what if??' Knocking out that one bit of random chance is almost too much to pass up.

So what I propose is a modification to each ship, so that they all feel worthy of attempting the Crystal Cruiser pick-up, and you can hunt the Crystal Cruiser with your favourite ship and not feel like you're wasting time (and I provided some reasons why).

Kestrel - No bonus. Mainly because it's the Kestrel.

Stealth Cruiser - Using finely tuned surveillance equipment, the Stealth Cruiser can detect the faint and ancient distress call from the dilapidated Crystal Cruiser (specifically 'ping' the Dense Asteroid Field, if it's on the map)

Slug Cruiser - Combined telepathic abilities of the slugs allow them to detect the faint life signal of the injured Crystal crew-man (specifically 'ping' the Dense Asteroid Field again)

Mantis Cruiser - Being sworn enemies, the Mantis have plotted out the homeworld of the Rock people. (After attaining Crystal crewmember, immediately 'ping' the Rock Homeworld on the Jump Map, if it's there)

Zoltan Cruiser - The intelligent people of the Zoltan cruiser are immediately able to open the Stasis Pod upon retrieving it. (Don't have to find 'Research Station')

Engi Cruiser - Being in tune with technology, the Engi are able to determine the workings of the Stasis Pod, and open it upon retrieval (Don't have to find 'Research Station')

Federation Cruiser - Being in charge of a high-ranking Federation Cruiser comes with the benefits of having a highly detailed star map (Ping rock homeworld on jump map if it's there after getting Crystal crew-member).

So in conclusion:

Kestrel - No bonus
Stealth & Slug - Ping dense asteroid field (no guarantee of stasis pod)
Mantis & Federation - Ping rock homeworld (no guarantee of portal)
Zoltan & Engi - Open stasis pod without finding Research Station
Rock - Always get stasis pod (no change)

I think this would make every ship an option again when you are playing to get the Crystal Cruiser.

Let me know what you think!
Agg Shell

Re: IDEA - Make all ships viable for Crystal Cruiser hunting

Postby Agg Shell » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:57 pm

people would still use the rock cruiser because of the achevement :/
Are you a mantis? Do you lack ships to fight and Zoltans to chew? Look no further! Come to your nearest mantis warcamp in the Zoltan Homeworlds or Zoltan controled sector and ask for a free brochure about how to farm the Zoltan! Results may very.
greetingsfromoslo

Postby greetingsfromoslo » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:33 pm

Great post. I hunt for the Crystal Ship with the Kestrel, since you can unlock on of the the B-type keys when you get the crystal crew member. It's the only way.
magicwalker

Postby magicwalker » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:24 pm

I would argue that the stealth cruiser is better equipped for finding the crystal cruiser, because Long Range Scanners are a god-send. The only reason to use the rock cruiser is to kill two birds with one stone, unlock the ship and get the rock cruiser achievement.
Agg Shell

Postby Agg Shell » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:03 pm

greetingsfromoslo wrote:Great post. I hunt for the Crystal Ship with the Kestrel, since you can unlock on of the the B-type keys when you get the crystal crew member. It's the only way.

umm, if i recall the acheve says you need 6 different crew, and there is 7 in the game. so if you don't the crystal crewmember you could still have
-human
-zoltan
-mantis
-rockman
-engi
-slug
Are you a mantis? Do you lack ships to fight and Zoltans to chew? Look no further! Come to your nearest mantis warcamp in the Zoltan Homeworlds or Zoltan controled sector and ask for a free brochure about how to farm the Zoltan! Results may very.
Dr_Zegobob

Postby Dr_Zegobob » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:27 am

Agg Shell wrote:
greetingsfromoslo wrote:Great post. I hunt for the Crystal Ship with the Kestrel, since you can unlock on of the the B-type keys when you get the crystal crew member. It's the only way.

umm, if i recall the acheve says you need 6 different crew, and there is 7 in the game. so if you don't the crystal crewmember you could still have
-human
-zoltan
-mantis
-rockman
-engi
-slug

I actually think you are correct.
My ships:
Kestrel A, Engi A, Engi B, Stealth A, Stealth B, Zoltan A, Zoltan B, Rock A, Federation A, Federation B, Mantis A, Mantis B.
Ships listed in green are ones that I have scored a victory with.
Agg Shell

Postby Agg Shell » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:29 am

Dr_Zegobob wrote:
Agg Shell wrote:

-human
-zoltan
-mantis
-rockman
-engi
-slug

I actually think you are correct.

Arn't i always? ;)
greetingsfromoslo

Postby greetingsfromoslo » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:59 am

Agg Shell wrote:

-human
-zoltan
-mantis
-rockman
-engi
-slug

I think I need to go another round with my basic math! ;)
Agg Shell

Postby Agg Shell » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:19 pm

:lol: