Any one else find the rock cruiser boring?

General discussion about the game.
madattak9

Any one else find the rock cruiser boring?

Postby madattak9 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:01 pm

Ive played a few rounds and its unbearably boring to use.
mrguy888

Re: Any one else find the rock cruiser boring?

Postby mrguy888 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:57 pm

If you are talking about the A then I don't find it boring. The optimizing of your missile usage to slow the depleting of your missiles to hold you until you get more stable weapons is not boring. It can be very frustrating if the RNG is not being very kind. It is weak and I don't find it fun to play.

If you mean the B type then it is a big no. Fire bombs and rock boarder will never get old for me. I can see people finding it boring though.
BKT

Postby BKT » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:28 pm

Which one, A or B ?

A - Apart from the purpose of unlocking the B type, I never use it... :oops:

B - With my usual playstyle, I find it as fun as Slug_A to play, but with different playstyle and experience; Rock_B has stronger attack and defense, but while it can kill enemy crew using only the start up weapon like Slug, it's not as reliable or as efficient— this is actually what made it fun because you need to carefully calculate on-the-fly when, where, and how many Heavy laser shot to fire / Firebomb to sent over in order to kill enemy crew with the least amount of missiles while not blowing up the ship in the process— and unlike when you board the enemy ship where the AI will blissfully behave like moths to a flame, the AI is actually pretty good at making sure that things are as difficult for you as it can. :x

... And the sight of the panic-stricken enemy crew desperately trying to put out the flame and run around with a confused look in the face amused me— sometime I even narrate / role-play the enemy crew; never gets old! :mrgreen:
madattak9

Postby madattak9 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:49 pm

My experience with A so far is this:
Battles are slow and boring
You spend too much scrap on missiles to upgrade your ship
Your screwed if they have a defense drone
Your screwed if they have high evade
Your screwed if they have Zoltan shield
(Those last 2 because they eat your missiles)

I havnt unlocked B and cant stand using the rock cruiser, so I might just download a data edit program to get it.
VanguardOfValor

Postby VanguardOfValor » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:16 pm

I don't necessarily find the Type A boring, but I do find it incredibly aggravating. I can only run out of missiles so many times before it stops being fun. :P

The Type B on the other hand is definitely a cool ship to use, so if you can stick with it long enough to unlock the alternate model, it pays off. (Plus, the Type B Rock Cruiser is easily your best chance at getting the Crystal Cruiser for yourself too!)
Various Valorous Videos, should you be interested...
LazyMonk

Postby LazyMonk » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:07 am

madattak9 wrote:Ive played a few rounds and its unbearably boring to use.

I do too. I unlocked it yesterday and felt the same way.

Its not a bad ship (In fact i believe its a very good one), it just lacks that distinctive gameplay you get from a Stealth Cruiser or a Engi Cruiser that make you feel that you are playing a whole new game.
I loved playing with both the The Basilisk and the Noether, they made the game feel different.

The Bulwark is just very bland. The Rock Plating is not going to change the way you play. Its awesome to have but wont force to take a different approach. You start with missiles and you shoot missiles until you find some laser/beam weapons. The end.

I am sure many people like this ship, because its a good ship with the extra of having 3 Rockmen.
I am yet to unlock the Rock B Ship, i am sure that might turn out to be different.
Mataza

Postby Mataza » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:12 am

I agree that the Rock A is certainly only useful to get the Rock B.
Its layout and loadout are deeply flawed. You start with only missile launchers and a medium stockpile of missiles, but you don't get more missiles back than other ships; you just use them up faster.
While missiles are reliable damage, they lack the power to make up your entire weaponry.
The layout is simply awful and would benefit from 1 or more non-rock crewmembers. Having no doors in the center corridor is pure chicanery, as slow as rockmen are. It takes literally forever to get anywhere from the medbay.

It's still a better ship than the Stealth B at least.
MBz

Postby MBz » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:15 pm

Imho, once you get this ship going, it's pretty good. At the time I was experimenting with fire and boarding (seeing as I was gunning for unlocks) and I found the teleporter being right next to the Med bay very useful. With upgraded doors, venting it out was very easy when entertaining intruders, making the Med bay herding tactic nice and painless.

All in all, if you can get a decent start before you run out of missiles it can be a solid ship. I did spend a lot of time throwing abuse at it, mind you.