I thought this is the worst ship I have...

General discussion about the game.
Johnny(TM)

I thought this is the worst ship I have...

Postby Johnny(TM) » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:13 pm

I had 5 ships in my hangaar, the Kestrel Type A and Type B, the Torus Type A, and the Zoltan Ship Type A and Type B. Looking over my ships, I thought the Zoltan Type B, known as the Noether is the worst ships I have. It had 2 Ion Weapons, a Pike Beam, which only deals damage when the enemy's shield is off, and 3 fragile Zoltan crewmember. On top of that, the Door System and the Shield System was on level 1, so it was absolutely useless. As I later realized, I had to spend 100 Scrap just to activate the first layer of the shield. Seriously, the only thing I found good is the air ventillation: you can get it from 3 direction, easy to control - until I started playing the game, and the solar flare set my Door system on fire. :o Plus if I get some enemies boarded I'm screwed. To sum up, I had no fate in this ship at all.

But I just kept playing. I got a few crewmembers, a human who I placed in the piloting to take more Zoltan advantage, an Engi who I used for repairing, and finally a Mantis against boarders. That Mantis also got an Anti-Personnel Drone as backup. I purchased Cloaking and raised my Engine to max plus the Shields to 3 layer. Last but not least I did some upgrade to my weapons, so I controlled 4 at a time. In the end the extra weapons that I used were S. Bomb and Breach I guess, so I thought a lot on my tactics. Luckily the Zoltan Shield kept out Mantis boarders until I got rid of their shield and Ionized their warp, and the rest of the ships did little damage to me. Luckily the game was generous, so I had a Defense Drone Mark I at the end too.

Flagship Phase 2 was the point where I usually died. Once I got the Kestrel through there, but had 1 HULL left and the flagship blocked the path to the repair point, and even as I tried to play defensively, I died. Now the Noether did a wonderful job, when I saw that the enemy only has crewmembers on the weapons left, I smelled victory. Kept the Cloaking for the big attack, and my health was is yellow when he exploded. Plus I think this was the first ship where I lost no crewmember over time, so I'm really satisfied with it. The score is not outstanding, but I want to share my happiness, so here's a picture from the Noether in my Stats. :D

UltraMantis

Re: I thought this is the worst ship I have...

Postby UltraMantis » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:35 pm

Nice. Congratz on the win! :D

In my humble opinion the Kestrel and Zoltan are strongest ships. Noether has the weakest start of this bunch but it's potent once it gets going. The Adjudicator is probably the strongest ship in the game (I dont have Shivan unlocked so i could be wrong).

Crystals don't count of course. I'm starting to doubt they even exist.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Oka

Postby Oka » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:03 pm

I played a lot with all ships and IMho top 3 is this : Crystal A, Rock B, Kestrel.
This are strongest ships that have best start and most chances to win the game with.
Johnny(TM) i think you must improve your jump route ... only 3000 score for sector 8 is very low. You need at least 4000 to be decent.
You need to take as many jump as possible in each sector so u get more scrap more upgrades and possible find more crew or weapons.
fylth

Postby fylth » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:57 pm

I desperately want the Shivian simply because it is far and away (im my opinion of course) the best looking ship
madattak9

Postby madattak9 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:40 pm

My first victory was with Noether on easy aswell. My personal favourite out of Fed Cruiser A+B, Zoltan A+B, Engie A+B and Stealth A and Kestreal A+B is redtail(KestralB) though.
Johnny(TM)

Postby Johnny(TM) » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:57 pm

I thought my point is too low because of the Easy difficulty. I still need to play the game through on Normal difficulty, and I want to unlock all the other ships. The Noether had a lot of disadvantages, but there must be clearly a worse ship around. =)
Dr_Zegobob

Postby Dr_Zegobob » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:13 pm

The Zoltan type B is definitely one of my favorite ships of the ones I have. I enjoy having the starting weaponry that can get through level four shields and still do damage, and with another beam, it is very powerful. The Engi B is probably my absolute favorite of the ones I have, though.
My ships:
Kestrel A, Engi A, Engi B, Stealth A, Stealth B, Zoltan A, Zoltan B, Rock A, Federation A, Federation B, Mantis A, Mantis B.
Ships listed in green are ones that I have scored a victory with.
More Dakka

Postby More Dakka » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:14 pm

Engi B? Starting with only one crew is going to be rough.

Stealth A has very very high pain potential c/o lack of shields and fairly long initial cloak cooldown if you run into a ship with drones early on, or you miss with the dual lasers and fail to drop a shield.
Dr_Zegobob

Postby Dr_Zegobob » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:26 pm

More Dakka wrote:Engi B? Starting with only one crew is going to be rough.

Starting with only one Engi can be rough, but with a bit of luck, it can be very rewarding.

(This picture was re-sized)
My ships:
Kestrel A, Engi A, Engi B, Stealth A, Stealth B, Zoltan A, Zoltan B, Rock A, Federation A, Federation B, Mantis A, Mantis B.
Ships listed in green are ones that I have scored a victory with.
madattak9

Postby madattak9 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:26 pm

Dr_Zegobob wrote:The Zoltan type B is definitely one of my favorite ships of the ones I have. I enjoy having the starting weaponry that can get through level four shields and still do damage, and with another beam, it is very powerful. The Engi B is probably my absolute favorite of the ones I have, though.

I always dismissed Engie B as a joke ship. I cant see any advantage of using it over regular Engie.