Suggestion: Cute, Cuddly and Craving Cake

General discussion about the game.
Seedling

Suggestion: Cute, Cuddly and Craving Cake

Postby Seedling » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:18 pm

Random encounter:
Your scans pick up a crashed spaceship on a moon.
If you chose to investigate, you find that the ship was carrying some kind of .. pets? Almost all of them are dead, but you find a surviving pet and take it back to your ship. A moment of carelessness causes the pet to escape on your ship...
Pets could be cats, tribbles, mogwai(gremlins), facehuggers(aliens), critters, etc. Some might fetch you a nice load of scrap, others cause damage to your ship, use a crew member as a host (killing them to spawn a hostile mantis or slug) or eat a crew member, unless you happen to have a teleporter to beam them on that rebel scout trying to FTL away ;)
DCChuckles

Re: Suggestion: Cute, Cuddly and Craving Cake

Postby DCChuckles » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:37 pm

I wanna make a mod of this now :) In fact, should this be moved to mod development as a mod request? Events are fairly easy for a modest to change.
alextfish

Postby alextfish » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:31 pm

The only way to do this with the mod tools we currently have available would be to create one or more dummy augments with names like "Ship's Cat". You could modify events so that a reasonable number of them will have some option that having the ship's cat enables for you, and create a couple of events that let you gain a pet. Gaining a random pet could result in most of the effects you describe.

Adding a sprite or any realtime effects isn't feasible with the mod tools currently available, sadly.
Many years ago I created the FTL Starcraft mod: 18 new challenging ships to fly through the FTL universe!, and wrote a tutorial on creating your own FTL ships. They haven't been updated for AE though.
DCChuckles

Postby DCChuckles » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:45 pm

If I was gonna add a pet outside of an event, I would resprite the ghosts (assuming that's possible) to look like some sort of creature.