Most useful crew type?

General discussion about the game.
Spleenling

Re: Most useful crew type?

Postby Spleenling » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:59 pm

I don't know where to put slugs but I'm surprised no one metion how useful slugs are for blue options they have some of the best
breadsmith

Postby breadsmith » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:10 am

The issue with slugs is that their in combat abilities are fairly useless outside of a nebula, as lv 2 sensors do everything they do, only better. Also, whereas every other non-human race have functions that each instance of that race can use, you never really want more than one slug.
Liraeli

Postby Liraeli » Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:15 am

Its not even a competition, the correct question is the best COMBINATION of crew

An Engi on Shields, Weapons and Engines. Three Engi scattered around is enough to deal with nearly any problem the ship could have engineering-wise
A Slug on Sensors, because... The idea a appeals to me. Immensly.
A Rockman in Doors, much for the same reason as the slug
A Lanius on Piloting, a small room, most of the time out of the way... The Lanius's slower movement speed wont matter, since he'll be on piloting 24/7, and boarders will be discouraged from attacking a room without oxygen
Two Mantis, stationed somewhere in the middle of the ship. A fast response security team, well equipped to deal with any problems in the Shields, Weapons or Engine bay that the Engi may have trouble with

Obviously this will change with circumstance, a 4-Man Boarding ship will likely lose the Rockman and Lanius for more Mantis's, moving the Slug to Piloting, and other ships will have other problems and imperfections to deal with, but there is my ideal combination of crew
I_am_person

Postby I_am_person » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:02 am

Liraeli wrote:Its not even a competition, the correct question is the best COMBINATION of crew

An Engi on Shields, Weapons and Engines. Three Engi scattered around is enough to deal with nearly any problem the ship could have engineering-wise
A Slug on Sensors, because... The idea a appeals to me. Immensly.
A Rockman in Doors, much for the same reason as the slug
A Lanius on Piloting, a small room, most of the time out of the way... The Lanius's slower movement speed wont matter, since he'll be on piloting 24/7, and boarders will be discouraged from attacking a room without oxygen
Two Mantis, stationed somewhere in the middle of the ship. A fast response security team, well equipped to deal with any problems in the Shields, Weapons or Engine bay that the Engi may have trouble with

Obviously this will change with circumstance, a 4-Man Boarding ship will likely lose the Rockman and Lanius for more Mantis's, moving the Slug to Piloting, and other ships will have other problems and imperfections to deal with, but there is my ideal combination of crew

Interesting choices. But did you forget about Zoltan?

I'd say stick Zoltan in all three systems, because really, they're just meant for manning things and they're not that weak, either. A rock in piloting, IMO, because of the same reason you suggested with the speed and while he lacks in keeping people away it just makes sense to me that the slowest and tankiest guy is on the helm. Either that or a slug there. You don't want your pilot to get mind controlled.

For a response team, really, Engi on doors and Mantis on sensors is all I need. Mantis can deal with boarders, so he can't be on doors he has to move around, and engi on doors because when you need fixing most of the time he can get it done quickly while the mantis holds the boarders off.

And, this might just be my personal favorite, but two Lanius to board.

(OH DEAR GOD THE AMOUNT OF NECRO I JUST REALIZED JESUS CHRIST)
Injustice Rains From Above!
JakeCollins

Postby JakeCollins » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:07 am

I would do this:
Mantis - Excellent defence of those nasty intruders. (I HATE THOSE INTRUDER GUYS)
Engi - For fixing stuff
Rockmen - No fire on my ship!
Lanius - For those nasty O2 problems. But I keep them in an isolated room on my ship, when off-duty.
Crystal - Nice to have, on occasion.
Zoltan/Slug/Human - As far as humans: Don't care. I mean, I guess you just put them on sensors and doors, to increase those systems. As far as Slug: I always upgrade my sensors so I can see enemy movement on enemy ships, and when sensors are down I just look to see which system/door is getting damaged by intruders. As far as Zoltan: With such low health, I find them useless. Just upgrade your reactor, for god sakes!
Me: Have you ever wanted to explore the galaxy... in a BANANA?
You: No.
Me: Well now you can! Click the link below for the one-and-only Banana Mod!
http://subsetgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32321
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:47 am

And if your reactor is maxed out and you need more power? Just upgrade the reactor?
Use the Backup Battery?

Zoltan power is also ion-proof. Two Zoltans inside a shield room means you'll always have a bar of shield when the going gets tough and the beams are out in full force.

I agree that maybe buying a Zoltan instead of reactor power is a bad idea but if you get a free Zoltan, find someone else to dismiss.
I_am_person

Postby I_am_person » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:28 am

Eyesight Technology wrote:I would do this:
Mantis - Excellent defence of those nasty intruders. (I HATE THOSE INTRUDER GUYS)
Engi - For fixing stuff
Rockmen - No fire on my ship!
Lanius - For those nasty O2 problems. But I keep them in an isolated room on my ship, when off-duty.
Crystal - Nice to have, on occasion.
Zoltan/Slug/Human - As far as humans: Don't care. I mean, I guess you just put them on sensors and doors, to increase those systems. As far as Slug: I always upgrade my sensors so I can see enemy movement on enemy ships, and when sensors are down I just look to see which system/door is getting damaged by intruders. As far as Zoltan: With such low health, I find them useless. Just upgrade your reactor, for god sakes!

Do people actually use Rockmen as dedicated firefighters unless the fire is right beside them? Moving around the ship is a hassle because they're slow and engi finish the job faster anyway. Still though, personal preference.
Injustice Rains From Above!
ejhockey

Postby ejhockey » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:37 am

I'm surprised more people didn't mention a Slug as captain. No mind control prevents evasion dropping with a Slug as captain. I suppose that is rare and it only drops it 50% with fully upgraded captain system.

I love boarding ships, so my preference is as follows:

1. Crystal/Mantis - Crystal are my favorite with their lockdown ability, but I also love ripping apart crew & ships with a Mantis boarding crew.
2. Engi - Fast repairs/blue options
3. Rockman - repel boarders/blue options
4. Lanius - repel boarders/boarding/repair oxygen depleted rooms
5. Slug - put him as captain, can't be mind controlled
6. Zoltan - Yeah they give you power, but their low HP and moving around accidentally de-powering systems isn't worth it to me.
7. Human

My absolute ideal crew is: 2x Crystal, 2x Mantis boarding party, 1x Engi shields, 1x Rockman weapons, 1x Slug captain, 1x Zoltan engines.
.emPlaH

Postby .emPlaH » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:28 pm

Well, it depends...

For wiping the floor with people while boarding, MANTIS :lol:
However here is my full list:
1. Mantis (boarding)
2. Crystal(lockdown) :o (op)
3. Engi(fast repair/blue options)
4. Lanius (For killing off boarders or repairing oxygen depleted rooms)
5. Slug (Cant Be mind controlled) (Put as Captain)
6. Zoltan (Yes, they give power, but randomly turn off systems and are as strong as saran wrap) :roll:
7. Humans (Have no buffs except learn skills quicker)
Mantis is Love, Mantis is Life :lol:
Kacpo

Postby Kacpo » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:31 pm

A good complement to every crew in any situation is an Engi and a Slug.
A.
Slug.
As in, one.
Just for intel inside nebulas. bacause aside from that, they are just humans. except with a few blue options.

Personally, I like humans to man my Guns because they take so long to skill-up and you rarely can reliably farm the skills. (Unless you're playing as Kestrel B. Then after just a few jumps you already have Gunnery lvl.2)