[Squad] Tectonic Titans

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional.
inventex

[Squad] Tectonic Titans

Postby inventex » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:07 pm

A squad who can manipulate the earth itself to take out the Vek.

Basic Hammer Mech attack:
Buffed Hammer Mech attack:
Basic Magma Mortar Mech attack:
Buffed Magma Mortar Mech attack:
Basic Lava Mech attack:
Buffed Lava Mech attack: (yes it can travel through the cracks made by the hammer mech)

I know this squad is broken af! But atleast its hella fun to play!

Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1e3oYhb ... sp=sharing
Captain Trek

Re: [Squad] Tectonic Titans

Postby Captain Trek » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:21 am

You're right - this squad is impressively broken. Alpha hornets and certain bosses can give them trouble, but that's about it. However, you freely acknowledge that this is a "for fun" squad, so that's fine.

Moving immediately onto the sprites, then, the decision to paint them in Blitzkrieg yellow was well-taken. They definitely looked doofy in Rift Walker olive drab, but now they look fantastic. I especially like the little touches of the hammer mech dropping his hammer and the other two mechs' stored magma going cold when they get disabled. That's good attention to detail, as are the customized weapon portraits.

Fun-wise, the squad does an excellent job of embracing its own brokenness and its upgrades further emphasis this beautifully, being stupidly effective for their cost. Covering huge swathes of the map in lava and fire is hilarious and the whole thing has the visceral satisfaction an intentionally overpowered squad needs. It can get old if you play "seriously" and go for a four-island sweep, but that's not really what this squad's for. I would suggest that magma mortar is kinda dull at first because it starts off functioning identically to the Flame Behemoth artillery, but that's a minor point.

The other minor point I would make is a small polish issue - specifically that the preview for the hammer mech's +1 range upgrade doesn't actually show the range gain and that the buildings in the preview windows for the Tectonic Slam and its upgrades mysteriously change from 4 buildings to 2 after the preview complete its first loop. I accept, however, that the Flow upgrade is likely impossible to correctly display.

Overall, accepting the fact that this squad isn't supposed to be balanced, I give this squad an A. If it was supposed to be balanced I'd rate it a B, as it'd still be very nicely done aesthetically even if mechanically it'd need a complete overhaul.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:29 am

Definitely a very broken squad, but still fun to play with at least for a run.
I've made a video run of it, but it'll be up in a few day's time.

Also, this XKCD comic comes to mind whenever I use the Hammer Mech:
https://xkcd.com/1388/
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:11 am

Well... I just uploaded my video run of the Tectonic Titans. Fun but very overpowered.
https://youtu.be/IPl8ZAmfqEk
SwishyFishy400

Postby SwishyFishy400 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:51 am

You can transform a building into a lava tile without consequence.

I love it.
Cornflake

Postby Cornflake » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:02 am

The Google Drive link doesn't seem to work? It's a shame; I'd love to check this mod out!
Sniper Kiri

Postby Sniper Kiri » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:20 am

Im so sad! I'd love to try this mod, but like the user above me, the DL link is busted!
We look forward to a glorious campain with you, Sir.
Honor the Federation cause;

Protect. Provide. Survive.
Carry us to victory!
Arfy

Postby Arfy » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:52 am

Cornflake wrote:The Google Drive link doesn't seem to work? It's a shame; I'd love to check this mod out!

Sniper Kiri wrote:Im so sad! I'd love to try this mod, but like the user above me, the DL link is busted!

Here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/74yglq142x4tr ... s.zip?dl=0

Hopefully I didn't make any edits to it, it has been a while since I downloaded this mod.
Discord: ATLAS#9226
Sniper Kiri

Postby Sniper Kiri » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:03 am

Arfy wrote:Here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/74yglq142x4tr ... s.zip?dl=0

Hopefully I didn't make any edits to it, it has been a while since I downloaded this mod.

Arfy, thanks for a copy of your download for the mod! I've been playing ITB for quite some time now, and only today did I think "hey, I'm familiar with this game now, and since subset games made FTL too, there should be a mod community active!" I really do appreciate it, and surely others scrolling through will too.
We look forward to a glorious campain with you, Sir.
Honor the Federation cause;

Protect. Provide. Survive.
Carry us to victory!
okumam

Postby okumam » Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:05 pm

Thanks, but how do I install it into the actual game? Do I drag the file inside it? Because it does not work. What do I need to do?