FTL: Advanced Edition - Ship Unlock Poll

Official posts about the development of the game.
Elhazzared

Re: FTL: Advanced Edition - Ship Unlock Poll

Postby Elhazzared » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:49 pm

Quite frankly I am of two minds... I'd like the option available but as an option you turn on or off. The reason for this is that most ships are hard to get but they are reasonably attainable. The exception is the crytal cruiser of course which requires an enormous amount og BS RNG nonsense and because of that I'd would like the option to unlock it in a much more reasonable way... I'm quite sure that many would agree with me there.

Still I belive the best solution would be to make the aquisition of that specific cruiser less RNG related.
virtualviper74

Postby virtualviper74 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:00 pm

[quote="agigabyte"]Will we still keep our unlocked ships?[/quote]
The biggest problem with the game industry today is that they make most of the games too easy. Please don't do the same mistake with this one. It is the difficulty that makes this so funny, the reward feels much better. And the new proposal of ship unlocking does not sound like a good idea. Instead you could have a new story/quest for unlocking the b & c models too.
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:54 pm

Vallyen wrote:The developers doesnt seem to respond to us by giving a release date/info why they didnt give a release date yet. Im starting to suspect that they might be dead. Why else would they not respond? WHY?
(Sorry if i sound too upset, i just want any kind of information)

If they're not answering, they're probably busy testing and bug-fixing. ;)
justoneguy

Postby justoneguy » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:13 pm

Firstly I've just found about FTL: Advanced Edition and I'm super siked. I've just read through all the other posts and I'm amazed only one other person has mentioned mini bosses! The two main complaints have been too much reliance on luck and only one end boss. Now I like the event mechanics we currently have to unlock ships, and I think merely killing the same end boss over and over again isn't a particularly exciting alternaitive way to unlock those same ships.

What I think would be good is to have either a new sector (pirate overlord secort, whatever) or an addition to the homeworlds, where we have an uber nasty engi/mantis/slug/etc ship which you can see in the distance in the same manner as the end boss. You could then either avoid or attack or be attacked by this mini boss and unlock either the third version of the ship or gain some rare unit/weapon/upgrade by defeating him. I think this would make the game a lot more fun, because it would allow you extra reward at extra risk, and provide a new challenge to those of us who have completed the game seveal times.

As for the luck element, could we improve our odds in finding the right sector by simply allowing us the see all options when we take a route. We can already see if the next sectors will be hostile, nebula or friendly, but could we improve that so we can see if a homeworld is in one of those future options. So if for example we really want to get to the Rockmen homeworld we could steer our ship accordingly and not rely on luck so much.
petelectro

Postby petelectro » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:08 pm

I really hope the devs don't let the poll influence their decisions too much. FTL had such a sleek and genius design, I can't imagine that they would sacrifice challenge as a design core in favor for accessibility.

Bringing in new players is a great thing for FTL (maybe it could make expansions or an android version possible? ;) ) and I'm sure making some of the ship unlocks easier and providing early progression to new players is a good way to open up this great game.
troqu

Postby troqu » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:35 pm

I wouldn't worry too much petelectro the poll was tampered with near the middle of January. On one day there was suddenly 1800 votes for dislike (about 2/3rds of the total dislikes) and I don't think these guys will be tricked by that. It was in favor before that point, and even now the dislike % is dropping slowly (was around 60% the day it happened, is already down to 53%) so I think it's pretty obvious only a few extremely bitter people dislike the changes suggested.
Qwad35

Postby Qwad35 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:27 pm

[quote="justoneguy"]Firstly I've just found about FTL: Advanced Edition and I'm super siked. I've just read through all the other posts and I'm amazed only one other person has mentioned mini bosses! The two main complaints have been too much reliance on luck and only one end boss. Now I like the event mechanics we currently have to unlock ships, and I think merely killing the same end boss over and over again isn't a particularly exciting alternaitive way to unlock those same ships.

What I think would be good is to have either a new sector (pirate overlord secort, whatever) or an addition to the homeworlds, where we have an uber nasty engi/mantis/slug/etc ship which you can see in the distance in the same manner as the end boss. You could then either avoid or attack or be attacked by this mini boss and unlock either the third version of the ship or gain some rare unit/weapon/upgrade by defeating him. I think this would make the game a lot more fun, because it would allow you extra reward at extra risk, and provide a new challenge to those of us who have completed the game seveal times.

As for the luck element, could we improve our odds in finding the right sector by simply allowing us the see all options when we take a route. We can already see if the next sectors will be hostile, nebula or friendly, but could we improve that so we can see if a homeworld is in one of those future options. So if for example we really want to get to the Rockmen homeworld we could steer our ship accordingly and not rely on luck so much.[/quote]

I DO SUPPORT MINI-BOSSES such as a Pirate Overlord, Malevolent Mantis Menace, Obnoxious Slug Supremacist, etc. To be honest, anything that adds variety after playing the game for hundreds of hours is a welcome change for me.

However, I DO NOT SUPPORT SEEING WHAT SECTORS ARE BEFORE YOU GET TO THEM. Part of FTL's charm is mystery and risk-taking. Is that red sector up ahead a Rebel Controlled Sector which you can handle? Or is it a Mantis Homeworlds, where your Zoltan crew could be massacred by Mantis boarding parties? There's only one way to find out.

Thirdly, I seriously hope that the new Lanius race and Crystalmen becomes a core port of FTL, because I dislike how the crystal men are barely relevant to FTL and are never seen unless you are playing the crystal cruiser or have encounered the stasis pod event.
petelectro

Postby petelectro » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:41 am

[quote="troqu"]I wouldn't worry too much petelectro the poll was tampered with near the middle of January. On one day there was suddenly 1800 votes for dislike (about 2/3rds of the total dislikes) and I don't think these guys will be tricked by that. It was in favor before that point, and even now the dislike % is dropping slowly (was around 60% the day it happened, is already down to 53%) so I think it's pretty obvious only a few extremely bitter people dislike the changes suggested.[/quote]

Thanks for clearing that up!
English Narwhal

Postby English Narwhal » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:57 am

One other thing people seem to forget is that timestamps make it blatantly obvious.
Treamayne

Postby Treamayne » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:21 pm

Hello Everyone, new to the game and the forum. I admit that I have not read all pages of this topic, but on the OP I noticed that the suggestions was for more casual players.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, or if input is already moot (but the poll was still open, so I thought input was still be solicited), but I thought I would share my response here for comment.

Personally, as a casual player, I would enjoy it if the new alternate version unlocked the B version of the ship rather than the A version. In my mind, this does 2 things:

- For those having trouble unlocking the B side with the A ship, it gives another way to do that.
- The mini-quests can go both directions, so for those having trouble unlocking a Ship Quest (like me and the Mantis quest), If a player gets the B side through a victory unlock, they can unlock the A side with the mini quests.

Just a few thoughts from someone that recently found this. I only get to play a couple times a week, and then only if overtime isn't hammering me. Some of the RNGs can be frustrating (Diplomatic immunity) and if the goal is to expand options for casual players, I thought this is what I would like to see the most.

BGCs welcome.