another new FTL challenge video (no stores)

Share and discuss FTL-related videos here.
rhaining

another new FTL challenge video (no stores)

Postby rhaining » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:30 pm

FTL challenge run “arrogance”: no buying, selling, repairing, or taking refuge at stores
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfShUCRyiqw

Played with no use of stores -- no buying, selling, or repairing. Also did not use stores as a refuge from dangerous situations to make internal repairs. Made a best effort not to visit stores at all but didn't count that as a formal challenge constraint.

Recorded in a single session and with no mods on the hardest settings (hard + advanced content enabled) so you can see I never saved the game or cheated permadeath in any way. (Fair warning: it's a long video.)

Though not specifically challenge constraints, because I chose the Mantis B, I only had the starting 7 systems + 3 sub-systems of the Mantis B, so had no Cloaking, Hacking, Mind Control, Cloning Bay, or Backup Battery. (I also never changed out the starting Drones, but simply because I never found one I wanted to use more than what I started with.)
stylesrj

Re: another new FTL challenge video (no stores)

Postby stylesrj » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:55 pm

I admire your bravery. I should find some time to watch your video (or watch it intermittently) and get back to you with my praises (and complaints) about what you have(n't) done.

Although after the first 5 minutes of watching, I'm wondering if your microphone needs adjustment. You're coming in rather quietly.
stylesrj

Re: another new FTL challenge video (no stores)

Postby stylesrj » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:42 am

Ok half an hour in, I find myself skipping over most automated ship battles. Because honestly it's rather boring to watch and wait for your Rocks/Mantis to tear a system apart slowly, piece by piece. This also means I might miss out on witty commentary.

One trick I'd do to cut down on time with those sorts of battles is to say "This is pretty much how the battle will go" then stop recording, wait until the ship is at 1Hp then start recording again.

Then in future boarding battles with automated ships, you don't even need to show off the initial landing, just say "Automated ship, skip to 1HP end" because I think we all get it. Automated ships take forever when boarding. Especially Auto Assaults.