some tips?

Share and discuss FTL-related videos here.
Baskingner

some tips?

Postby Baskingner » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:56 pm

Hey guys,

I recently started up my lets play of FTL on youtube
(link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YLaUYRo ... hnQaMWrf-g)
and i wondered if you guys had any hints (Do or donts) or feedback?

im doing this pretty blind (havent played the game before) but im not afraid for spoilers!

Thanks in advance :)
Baskingner
UltraMantis

Re: some tips?

Postby UltraMantis » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:41 am

Topic moved to Videos subforum.

There's a ton of hints and tips in this thread though some are more advanced stuff. There's more tips and strategy topics on the forum, but you can learn much about the game simply by dying a lot.. i mean playing.

Good luck. :)
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
DiscordDraconequus

Postby DiscordDraconequus » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:05 am

Off the top of my head...

Put your most important weapons in slot 1, so they are less likely to turn off from damage.

Turn off your medbay when you aren't using it, for other stuff, like the second engine point. You can do this with oxygen too, but generally just for very short periods of time.

Venting the fire was a good move. It doesn't matter in this case because it was in an airlock, but if you have to drain a bunch of rooms, turn off oxygen so it goes faster.

Repair your stuff before jumping ahead.

Go into options and turn on "Show Beacon Paths on Hover" to help you plan jump paths.

Good job on conserving rockets when you didn't need it.

Good call on not going to the store as soon as it was available. Save as much scrap as possible before visiting, generally ~80 scrap is a good number. You were set for the first store you jumped to, but the second you really didn't have enough to do anything.

Going into rebel territory just makes you fight an above-average ship that doesn't drop anything good. And I see that you figured that out later on.

It's generally better to repair to ~80% instead of full. There are some events that will repair you, and it's nice to be able to capitalize on that.

All in all, it was a good run. Eventually you'll get a hang of which option to pick for which event, which enemy systems to target with your weapons, and it'll all go smoothly from there.

I'd also like to suggest that you look into the secondary systems (drone control, teleporting, and cloaking) as they are very useful. Upgrade your shields and engines at about the same rate, and don't be afraid to move power around as you need it. Buff up engines at the expense of shields when the enemies have powerful missiles, and do the opposite against lasers and beams and ions.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:58 am

badra100 wrote:I don’t know why, but I just can’t seem to get into this game. What is everyone’s obsession over it at Polygon (legitimate question)?

I don't know what Polygon is (I know what *a* polygon is) but I assume the people over there that like it do so because it's a great game.

Not every game is for every person. Maybe you're just one of those people who don't like this type of game. But what I do like about it is that every playthrough is functionally different but similar and fair. Also, a win only takes about 2 hours to achieve from start to finish.

The game looks impossible when you start to play, and will knock you on your butt no matter how good you are, but it is possible to get so good that losses are rare. Even when you are that good, though, there are a few ships that can still hand you your ass on a platter.

The simple fact that you can NOT win every game makes it more intriguing to me. Some people find that frustrating. I find it invigorating.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Baskingner

Postby Baskingner » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:55 pm

Thanks for all the tips! sorry for my late reply but i was on holiday until recently! i just started my second run with the engi ship (and its hard)! i try to listen to all the tips! :D