5thHorseman's Playthroughs of Each Ship

Share and discuss FTL-related videos here.
The Captain

Re: 5thHorseman's Playthroughs of Each Ship

Postby The Captain » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:29 pm

Hey, you didn't show your Rock C score!

I don't know why you were worried going in to face the boss - you had max hacking and adequate weapons. I also don't know why there were times when you were firing your damage weapons before shields were hacked down as much as possible.

I surmise that making commentary takes up CPU time, so you don't think about things like locking down the Weapons room before your MC'd crew gets in, venting the Engine room, and closing doors to something like Sensors, to make it a place where enemies would try to go once it has air.

Of course, when I'm not boarding with Crystal dudes, I don't always think about locking down a room myself.

Keep crushing the rebel scum!
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:08 pm

The Captain wrote:Hey, you didn't show your Rock C score!

I literally didn't think that anybody on the planet cared about how this game gave out scores :D

I just checked the stats page. It was 5653 which is the #5 "all-time" score in this run. "All-time" here is exactly every single game you've seen in season 4.

The Captain wrote:I don't know why you were worried going in to face the boss - you had max hacking and adequate weapons. I also don't know why there were times when you were firing your damage weapons before shields were hacked down as much as possible.

Yeah I was prioritizing getting the chains down as quickly as possible over doing damage right now. I don't know which is best, but damage is always good.

The Captain wrote:I surmise that making commentary takes up CPU time, so you don't think about things like locking down the Weapons room before your MC'd crew gets in, venting the Engine room, and closing doors to something like Sensors, to make it a place where enemies would try to go once it has air.

You are very right, especially on that first one. The very first thing I noticed on a rewatch was that I did not utilize the Crystal's ability nearly as much as I should have.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
The Captain

Postby The Captain » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:23 am

5thHorseman wrote:I literally didn't think that anybody on the planet cared about how this game gave out scores :D

Well, I care in a general way, like was it a 4K, 5K or 6K score, as sort of a general indicator how the run went. If score is on the lower side, number of ships defeated is interesting - say if you have a tough run where you have to run away a lot, so didn't defeat as many ships, but still end up winning the game. Also it's a chance to see if anyone set a record for most something, giving them props, since you name crew after viewers. I don't care about score in the sense that someone must have farmed the rebels to get one so high.

Yeah I was prioritizing getting the chains down as quickly as possible over doing damage right now. I don't know which is best, but damage is always good.

I don't think having them at their lowest cooldown is so important for the weapons you had. I would wait for the ion, then the flak, before firing the chains, so below 12 sec (or whatever skill makes about 2 sec after the flak fires) wouldn't have much meaning for me (until the enemy has no shields left). I do recall thinking a few times that you fired the chains "too soon," so the lasers were arriving before the flak.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:36 am

The Captain wrote:
5thHorseman wrote:I literally didn't think that anybody on the planet cared about how this game gave out scores :D

like was it a 4K, 5K or 6K score

Oops I edited the post but musta done it after you started this reply.

"I just checked the stats page. It was 5653 which is the #5 "all-time" score in this run. "All-time" here is exactly every single game you've seen in season 4."

The Captain wrote:I do recall thinking a few times that you fired the chains "too soon," so the lasers were arriving before the flak.

That I noticed during the run, and I've noticed it several times. Sometimes, I swear the flaks take longer than average time to get to ships, and sometimes they get there really quick. I just had to get the timing down and my naturally sloppy play style didn't always remember, volley-to-volley, to wait the correct time.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB

The Captain

Postby The Captain » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:49 am

5thHorseman wrote:Oops I edited the post but musta done it after you started this reply.

"I just checked the stats page. It was 5653 which is the #5 "all-time" score in this run. "All-time" here is exactly every single game you've seen in season 4."

I did see that. I meant by the 4K/5K/6K part that I'm looking at the score as a relative measure. I suppose the hundreds digit matters more if you're talking 4K or 6K. Also, as I'm not watching one run all at the same time, but spread out, it's another reminder of how that run went.

That I noticed during the run, and I've noticed it several times. Sometimes, I swear the flaks take longer than average time to get to ships, and sometimes they get there really quick. I just had to get the timing down and my naturally sloppy play style didn't always remember, volley-to-volley, to wait the correct time.

Look for where the flak is mounted on the ship - is it forward or aft? That distance does matter a bit, though generally I haven't paid too much attention to that, placing more priority on putting more important weapons to the left, so a little damage doesn't take them offline.

I try and count to 2 as a rough measure of when the flak arrives - rough because things like my pausing the game and doing other stuff can make me lose track. And afterwards I might not remember/bother to pause frequently to watch the flak actually arrive near the enemy ship. I have noticed that forward-mounted flak arrives sooner after I get to 2 than aft-mounted, so instead of 1 ... 2 ... fire, it's 1 ... 2-fire.

If you don't count, I saw somewhere that you can watch the flak move off the main screen - it gets shadowy behind the picture-in-picture screen - and then it arrives in that mini-screen pretty soon after. But again, if you don't keep an eye on the flak "live," you can lose track of where the projectiles are, and maybe sometimes fire your other weapons a little late, if you're not quick on the pause button.
The Captain

Postby The Captain » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:03 pm

EZ mode again? Srsly? And Y U NO HV BACKUP?!

Having a Weapon Preigniter, I think I would have sold the Ion Blast Mk II and got the Halberd at the second store (at least I think that you would have had enough scrap). With Dual Lasers & two Heavies, that's four shots to take down shields for the Halberd. Seems to me to work better with a WPI. Then I would have sold off a Heavy to get the Busrt Laser Mk I for another shot.

But it's easy, so whatever.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:03 pm

The Captain wrote:EZ mode again? Srsly? And Y U NO HV BACKUP?!

Having a Weapon Preigniter, I think I would have sold the Ion Blast Mk II and got the Halberd at the second store (at least I think that you would have had enough scrap). With Dual Lasers & two Heavies, that's four shots to take down shields for the Halberd. Seems to me to work better with a WPI. Then I would have sold off a Heavy to get the Busrt Laser Mk I for another shot.

But it's easy, so whatever.

I always play hard first. If I lose I play normal. If I lose I play easy. That's been the rule since about episode 10.

And no, I don't have a backup of the video as I record it. It's actually impossible to do that with Fraps on Windows.

Yeah the BL1 wasn't an option because I was at 8 power already, but if I had only been at 7 power I would have bought it. Regarding Ion 2+Halberd (which I took) vs 4 shots + Halberd, I don't know really. Both are strong, but you are right that the Ion Blast 2 does get the least benefit from the igniter of all weapons in the game. But it gets that least benefit because it is so strong on its own.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB

The Captain

Postby The Captain » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:16 pm

5thHorseman wrote:And no, I don't have a backup of the video as I record it. It's actually impossible to do that with Fraps on Windows.

But you could back it up after recording, right? You've had more than one crash recently, haven't you?
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:03 pm

The Captain wrote:
5thHorseman wrote:And no, I don't have a backup of the video as I record it. It's actually impossible to do that with Fraps on Windows.

But you could back it up after recording, right? You've had more than one crash recently, haven't you?

My computer literally shut itself off while I was deciding on my first (or second, I don't recall now) jump in sector 5. That shutting down caused Fraps to hard stop writing the file, which caused it to be corrupted and unreadable. I couldn't back the file up afterward because there WAS no afterward.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB

shadowcrust

Postby shadowcrust » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:13 pm

You have forgotten me, Simba.