Total newb plays FTL! - Ballist1cInt3nt

Share and discuss FTL-related videos here.
Ballist1c

Total newb plays FTL! - Ballist1cInt3nt

Postby Ballist1c » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:46 am

Hello people!

I have decided to make FTL my 1st gameplay commentary series on my fledgling youtube channel. I have part 1 up (part 2 will most likely be better in regards to my mic and the game sounds) and will have part 2 up in the next few hours I hope. I'm just having a go at game commentaries and seeing where this channel goes. Right now I am enjoying FTL and find it very interesting. I hope at the least, some seasoned FTL players have a laugh at my baby steps into this game world.

Here is my channel.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Ballist1cInt3nt

Give any criticism please but keep it constructive.

Have a good one!
VanguardOfValor

Re: Total newb plays FTL! - Ballist1cInt3nt

Postby VanguardOfValor » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:09 am

Hey Ballist1c!

Welcome to the world of video-making, and to FTL as well, for that matter!

I left a bunch of comments on your first video and I hope you find them helpful. One other thing to keep in mind is that if you want to make videos, make them, and keep at it. It can take a long time before people start watching the things you create (took me about 7 months before I had any real viewers, and close to 10 months before I had any videos that people would go out of their way to watch) but that shouldn't stop you from doing it anyway.

Good luck!
Various Valorous Videos, should you be interested...
Ballist1c

Postby Ballist1c » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:43 pm

VanguardOfValor wrote:Hey Ballist1c!

Welcome to the world of video-making, and to FTL as well, for that matter!

I left a bunch of comments on your first video and I hope you find them helpful. One other thing to keep in mind is that if you want to make videos, make them, and keep at it. It can take a long time before people start watching the things you create (took me about 7 months before I had any real viewers, and close to 10 months before I had any videos that people would go out of their way to watch) but that shouldn't stop you from doing it anyway.

Good luck!

I left some replies. Thanks for your input it really does help me.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:30 pm

For a first youtube effort that is very good. Keep up the good work.

For my own display recording and editing i use Gregion to record (free, no time limit, highly configurable, uses multiple codecs) and VirtualDub for editing, resizing and final compression. I stick with the xvid codec mostly because i'm too lazy to experiment. VirtualDub is only neccesary because DailyMotion is very fussy about final size, YouTube might be less restrictive and make Vdub unneccesary.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Ballist1c

Postby Ballist1c » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:26 pm

Part 2 should be up soon. Video quality has improved, mic quality has not. However I have located the problem and will try another way of doing it next time. You may hear some out of the ordinary things, as I was drinking during the commentary. Won't happen again! :)

Cheers
Ballist1c

Postby Ballist1c » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:41 pm

UltraMantis wrote:For a first youtube effort that is very good. Keep up the good work.

For my own display recording and editing i use Gregion to record (free, no time limit, highly configurable, uses multiple codecs) and VirtualDub for editing, resizing and final compression. I stick with the xvid codec mostly because i'm too lazy to experiment. VirtualDub is only neccesary because DailyMotion is very fussy about final size, YouTube might be less restrictive and make Vdub unneccesary.

Oh forgot to say, thanks for the Vdub tip. No need for Gregion however. Cheers again!
Ballist1c

Postby Ballist1c » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:44 am

Oh crap! Forgot to link part 2 to this page. Here's part 2, uploaded just 2 days ago. Silly me forgetting to link it back here :\

IMPROVEMENTS
Now in 720p quality.

ISSUES REMAINING
Mic quality is average. However Part 3 has better mic quality which will be uploaded tomorrow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPnMk0MX0ZU
Ballist1c

Postby Ballist1c » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:52 pm

New part yay
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9NoNEy2aaY

I think i fixed the mic quality in this one, sounds better to me.