Mod idea

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Macil2018

Mod idea

Postby Macil2018 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:11 pm

*Edit* - Thank you for moving my post! =) */Edit*.

I am wondering if anyone knows of any mods that give rebels more purpose other than to annoyingly chase you? If not, would it be that hard to make a mod like this? I'm thinking just something simple like, give Rebel Ships unique drops that other ships don't have, or let them drop unique quests like recovering information of a hidden Rebel Outpost, making it so you can go after a Rebel Spacestation (a ship that can't warp away - for it has no engines but is of equal size to the flagship adding more boss type battles to the game).

Just a thought.
Last edited by Macil2018 on Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kieve

Re: Mod idea

Postby Kieve » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:49 pm

It's a bit of work but possible, at least to some degree. The "Boss" flagship is unique in a lot of ways, including having a larger "enemy target" screen (the GUI frame the enemy ships appear in - the flagship's is significantly wider). I haven't played around with blueprints enough to know whether you can make a ship that uses the larger screen or not, would be handy for something the size of a space-station. The flagship's "special abilities" like the drone swarm, laser burst, and regenerating Zoltan shield are all unique and I believe hardcoded, so anything like that is probably out of the question for a mod.

The core idea is sound though.
-You can modify REBEL_FLEET events to generate other ships beyond the "ELITE_LONG" type, then simply add events on <destroy> or <deadcrew> to give augments, weaponry, quests, or whatever else you'd want. I'm not really sure what you mean by "drops" since it's very rare for any ship kill to give you more than scrap / fuel / missiles.
Macil2018

Postby Macil2018 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:16 pm

Oh, I just meant as far as drops go, instead of rewarding the player always with only 1 fuel (I'm talking about the pursuing rebel fleet rebel ships, not the random encounter ones), to instead make it so their is chance of recovering secret rebel base locations (space station encounters), or special rebel equipment or augments that you shouldn't be able to find in normal random encounters or from shops (I can't think of any ideas at the moment on what kind of equipment that can be unique to rebel fleet encounters but I think you get the idea) :D
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:48 pm

Custom weapons would be doable, possibly some drones. Augments are all hardcoded and can be altered but not added to (some don't do anything as it is). The mod in my sig, "Turning The Tide" already changes fleet events to offer a chance for better rewards than 1 Fuel. The goal of that mod though, is still to present the Rebel Fleet as a credible threat, farming them for shiny weapons is outside its scope.
Macil2018

Postby Macil2018 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:51 pm

I guess that makes sense then. I'll have to try that mod. I just discovered the disable fleet mod today and I'm having a blast with it - It's actually made some of my games harder, I'm finding it harder to keep my ship repaired and fueled as I try to navigate every single node before jumping to each sector! =)
thashepherd

Postby thashepherd » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:23 pm

Kieve wrote:It's a bit of work but possible, at least to some degree. The "Boss" flagship is unique in a lot of ways, including having a larger "enemy target" screen (the GUI frame the enemy ships appear in - the flagship's is significantly wider). I haven't played around with blueprints enough to know whether you can make a ship that uses the larger screen or not, would be handy for something the size of a space-station. The flagship's "special abilities" like the drone swarm, laser burst, and regenerating Zoltan shield are all unique and I believe hardcoded, so anything like that is probably out of the question for a mod.

The core idea is sound though.
-You can modify REBEL_FLEET events to generate other ships beyond the "ELITE_LONG" type, then simply add events on <destroy> or <deadcrew> to give augments, weaponry, quests, or whatever else you'd want. I'm not really sure what you mean by "drops" since it's very rare for any ship kill to give you more than scrap / fuel / missiles.

Hate, HATE that larger frame! I dumped the boss spawns into a shipload event for testing, and it's wonderful to only look at the upper-left 2/3rds of it lol. I haven't seen anything that specifically "calls"the larger frame or even the boss1/2/3 blueprints - it just automagically knows to put the boss on the sector map when you go to Last Stand. Pretty much all of Last Stand is hardcoded, but you can still change it pretty drastically if you play by the rules.

Don't forget about the "dummy augment" strategy! That's a big one.
You are the weak, and I am the tyranny of evil men - but I'm trying, I'm trying real hard to be the shepherd.

"Wow, that Kieve guy is one angsty nerd eh."
Sonata - "Best use of Common Lisp in an indie space roguelike!"