Capital ship mod?

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
zequeins

Capital ship mod?

Postby zequeins » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:30 am

Well, posted this question in the Discussion subforum, which apparently was the wrong place... Figured I would repost this here.

Anyway, has there been any ongoing mod that gives us a big ship, a capital ship-level instead of a fighter level? You'll be heavily armored and armed (10+ shields, 8+ weapons, 5+ drones), but your enemies will either be similarly armed capital ships, or multiple lighter ships at the same time. It'll be an interesting management challenge - would you rather direct all your guns on one ship at a time, or spread your weapons to disable each enemy's systems?
UltraMantis

Re: Capital ship mod?

Postby UltraMantis » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:10 am

Welcome to the forum.

I think your idea is limited by the ship systems available in the game. There aren't eough really to make consideraby bigger ships. I'm not a modder so i don't know if it's possible to make duplicate weapon bays, shields or engines. Even then the player would have to start with a lot of upgrades which would make upgrades along the way less interesting. I'm also not sure it's possible to provide enough power for everything.

Screen space is also limited, so any new ships couldn't really be much bigger. Defense drone paths would also be affected. It's possible to create custom ships with a different look and differently placed rooms but they still have to fit in the game engine. Have a look around the mod section of the forum.

The stock player ships are actually Cruiser class vessels, so they're pretty much capital ships already.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
zequeins

Postby zequeins » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:40 pm

Pity... Still, with the game's success, who knows, maybe the developer will release expansion packs / add-ons?
jacktionman101

Postby jacktionman101 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:00 pm

Hopefully they'll release expansions, as I've played this game so much that there are only 2 ways to stop it being boring- recording for Youtube, and trying out mods. So, I'd suggest they implement additional features, maybe multi-ship combat or more events, more playable ships and various other changes.