Weapon Mod Not Working

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Digganob

Weapon Mod Not Working

Postby Digganob » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:27 am

I have attempted to mod the game by replacing the Advanced Flak with a new one that shoots more projectiles. I just copy pasted the code over to a new dlcBlueprints.xml file, and messed with some variables. I then took the code for the Lanius Cruiser B and copied it over, replacing the Advanced Flak with this new one.

So I renamed the dlcBlueprints.xml file into dlcBlueprints.xml.append. I then put this dlcBlueprints.xml.append file into a .zip, turned that into a .ftl, copied it to my Slipstream mod folder, ran the game, and everything was as it was, when I tried using the Lanius B it still had its Advanced Flak. I tried validating the mod in Slipstream, and it said the following:

@ Ultra Flak.ftl:
---------------

> dlcBlueprints.xml.append
~ Extraneous top-level file.

~ This mod doesn't append. It clobbers.

FTL itself can tolerate lots of XML typos and still run. But malformed XML may break tools that do proper parsing, and it hinders the development of new tools.

Slipstream will try to parse XML while patching: first strictly, then failing over to a sloppy parser. The sloppy parser will tolerate similar errors, at the risk of unforseen behavior, so satisfying the strict parser is advised.

So I'm very confused, as I added append to the file, and as I was told by Kix The Murican Slug in his guide, that should append the mod to the data instead of replacing it. So, I don't know what I did wrong, I don't know if the error message shown above is showing what is causing the new weapon to not show up in-game, and I don't know why my attempt to append the file did not seem to work, according to Slipstream.

Any help?
Jumbocarrot0

Re: Weapon Mod Not Working

Postby Jumbocarrot0 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:37 am

Common mistake, you put the dlcBlueprints.xml.append file straight into a .ftl file. You need to place that file (any any other .xml.append file) into a 'data' folder, and place that folder into a .ftl file, similar to how its formatted in ftl.dat.
Digganob

Re: Weapon Mod Not Working

Postby Digganob » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:55 pm

Jumbocarrot0 wrote:Common mistake, you put the dlcBlueprints.xml.append file straight into a .ftl file. You need to place that file (any any other .xml.append file) into a 'data' folder, and place that folder into a .ftl file, similar to how its formatted in ftl.dat.

Wow, I don't know how I missed that! Thought I just had to put the files straight in. Thanks. I hope my full explanation of my process helped you help me.

Edit: The mod works, thanks dude. I don't know how to upload a screenshot, but rest assured my 30 shot, 1 second charge flak is something to see.