[MOD][WIP] FTL Infinite Space

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
UltraMantis

Re: [MOD][WIP] FTL Infinite Space

Postby UltraMantis » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:11 pm

Allrighty, time to remove the notice from the Master Modlist. :D
Awesome job sir!
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Zanoko

Postby Zanoko » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:14 pm

Hello, I'm not sure if you know this already yet, but the Rebel fleet is still active o-o This is as of mod version 0.5.3 and game version 1.03.3 I believe, the latest as of 9/27/2013 4:12 PM EST.

That being said, and I believe it's not intentional, I did find a way to hack together a temp fix until you guys fix it. but it's a tad, well it's hacked together let's just leave it at that lol. There's some issues but it's playable.

any ETA on turning off the rebel fleet at all again? Just curious.
DrkTemplar

Postby DrkTemplar » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:54 pm

@Zanoko, do you mean the pursuit?

The current build hasn't removed/updated events that mention the fleet, and if any one of those alters the pursuit that might be an issue. However, when entering a new sector the pursuit should be reduced by a significant amount.

What is this hack you are referring to?

Thanks for the feedback.
Zanoko

Postby Zanoko » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:30 am

Ah alright.

And all I really honestly did was add in:

Disable Fleet - Author: aedyr

to my list of active mods. But it conflicts with a few scripts in the Infinate space mod. Granted it's only like two if that, it's still kinda hacky at the start. After that it seems fine. I haven't extensively played past the first system yet though.
Pelia

Postby Pelia » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:37 am

I have been playing in a Kessie-B for a few sectors by now. It is a fine experience, never before I thought a good engine and cloak can make such a huge difference in defence. But the Pirate battleship is so irritating! It has absolutely no weakness! Yes, I can avoid the ion drone and the vast ammount of laser shots well. But the defense II drone is making me go nuts as all I have is 3 Mk I lasers and Crystal Burst. I keep aiming at drone control in hope of getting through, but it's no good. It barely gets to the last shield layer. Basically, my fight with it is a constant stalemate. Is it just my inferior weaponry or someone else has a feeling that the DEF drone is a nuisance?

I'm only glad that I'm not getting boarded at any time for some reason, even though I can see 2 crystal guys standing in battleship's teleport room. They just stand there.
Akira421

Postby Akira421 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:21 pm

DrkTemplar wrote:What is FTL Infinite Space?

Unlimited Sectors
Upon Reaching the End Beacon of the sector, your ship will automatically jump to a new randomized Deep Space sector.

Mind if i call this Bullshit?
I wouldn't consider going through the 'Secret Sector' a hundred times any more fun then game abruptly ending on the 8th, and repeating the 'Secret Sector' there is nothing randomized about that.
i think your main effort in this should be trying to make it actually infinite, with out the crystal sector...
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:40 pm

Akira421 wrote:

Unlimited Sectors
Upon Reaching the End Beacon of the sector, your ship will automatically jump to a new randomized Deep Space sector.

I wouldn't consider going through the 'Secret Sector' a hundred times any more fun then game abruptly ending on the 8th, and repeating the 'Secret Sector' there is nothing randomized about that.

I mind. You're forgetting that every sector is "randomly" generated on entry, and Infinite Space does in fact add a significant amount of new content and quests to that sector to keep things interesting.
That being said, you are welcome to your opinion, and if you have anything constructive to offer I'm sure we'd all be very glad to hear it. If you don't consider it fun, that's your choice - don't play it, move on.

i think your main effort in this should be trying to make it actually infinite, with out the crystal sector...

:lol: Such a thing is not possible within our ability to mod. See Project Overdrive if that's your desire, because that's what it'll take - a complete recoding of the game. As it stands, the 8-sector limit is just one of many things beyond our ability to alter. That list also includes new races, changing beam colors, adding new ships without replacing old ones (with the possible exception of a trick involving saved-game hacks), and more.

Again, you're welcome to your opinion, all we ask is that you be a little more respectful about it.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:54 pm

Akira421 wrote:

Unlimited Sectors

So you think he should code his own game from scratch? Because you can't do that with FTL.

Someone put a lot of time and effort into making something for you to play for free, and your first interaction with that person is to call their effort bullshit? Nice job. Try not being an asshole next time.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
DrkTemplar

Postby DrkTemplar » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:18 pm

Zanoko wrote:Ah alright.

And all I really honestly did was add in:

Disable Fleet - Author: aedyr

to my list of active mods. But it conflicts with a few scripts in the Infinate space mod. Granted it's only like two if that, it's still kinda hacky at the start. After that it seems fine. I haven't extensively played past the first system yet though.

Ok, so the fleet is still pursuing you right from the start? First off, what is the list of active mods you're using? If any of them is overwriting the starting beacons, they will over write IS attempt to reduce fleet pursuit. You said you used Disable Fleet. Sure that will work, but if it overwrites the start beacon for the secret sector you will not have any mini boss events in your game. Having said that, with IS alone you should not have any pursuit at the start of the game. I wonder if one of the other mods (besides Disable Fleet) might be changing the start event.
DrkTemplar

Postby DrkTemplar » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:25 pm

Akira421 wrote:

Unlimited Sectors

Whether or not going through the same sector is fun, is a matter of perspective. The events that appear in the beacon are absolutely random each new sector. This was how the game was designed to begin with. So yes, it is actually randomized, and since you don't have a hard stop end, you could potentially play the game indefinitely. Provided you don't die, or a bug doesn't crash your game.

Have you played the mod? As Kieve mentioned, I did change the list of events for the secret sector. So if you're thinking the mod simply has you play through the crystal sector over and over, and only see those events, this is not the case. Most of the events that are possible in the base game are included in the list of potential beacons generated in the secret sector in IS.