[MOD][WIP] FTL Infinite Space

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
KingSix
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:37 pm

Re: [MOD][WIP] FTL Infinite Space

Postby KingSix » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:16 pm

mildolive wrote:Will there ever be a version for Mac?


uhm.. when mods have .ftl extension, you can use Grognak's Mod Manager, regardless of platform.
Whoopty
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:00 pm

Re: [MOD][WIP] FTL Infinite Space

Postby Whoopty » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:23 pm

If anyone encounters one of my new events in the next release, let me know what you thought as I have a load more planned.
The Hawk
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:28 pm

Re: [MOD][WIP] FTL Infinite Space

Postby The Hawk » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:37 pm

Kieve, I think you are right. Using OP ships won't teach me anything. I'll try to get into modding and create my own ship because from what I've seen, people that creates ships tends to leave boarding ship shieldless (I've posted a mod request for boarding ship and someone said they had a mod that had boarding ship but they were not my kind).

Just a question: making a ship that starts with more than four crewmember is an OP ship? If I'd make one, it'd be adapted for boarding in infinite space. Also, is it possible to tweak the teleporter system? I've asked this before but only drktemplar has answered me with... I think it was no but maybe someone else knows more about this than him (I'm not implying any insult to drktemplar, I mean, he works with sector and events, not ship but I have no idea what modding looks like so it might have no difference)
User avatar
Kieve
Posts: 952
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:21 pm
Location: Low Orbit
Contact:

Re: [MOD][WIP] FTL Infinite Space

Postby Kieve » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:16 pm

The Hawk wrote:Kieve, I think you are right. Using OP ships won't teach me anything. I'll try to get into modding and create my own ship because from what I've seen, people that creates ships tends to leave boarding ship shieldless (I've posted a mod request for boarding ship and someone said they had a mod that had boarding ship but they were not my kind).


Always the better option, if you have something more specific in mind. Aside from tailoring the ship / game to your tastes, it teaches you a lot about the game's inner workings, and you'll get a better idea of what is / isn't possible. Go for it :)[/quote]

Just a question: making a ship that starts with more than four crewmember is an OP ship? If I'd make one, it'd be adapted for boarding in infinite space. Also, is it possible to tweak the teleporter system? I've asked this before but only drktemplar has answered me with... I think it was no but maybe someone else knows more about this than him (I'm not implying any insult to drktemplar, I mean, he works with sector and events, not ship but I have no idea what modding looks like so it might have no difference)


-More than four is probably OP, yes. Most ships start with two or three, and if you plan on using it for Infinite Space, you get the option of an additional crewman from the very beginning. Remember to leave room to grow - the fun is in the journey, not the destination (and in IS's case, it's all journey).
-It's possible to "overcharge" a teleporter, with more than three energy bars, but the catch is it has to be set that way in the blueprints from the start (which is also kinda OP). It decreases the cooldown time. But if by "tweak" you mean alter the mechanics of it to teleport on your own ship or teleport enemies off? Nope. That's game code and no amount of XML modding can touch it.
thashepherd
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:45 pm
Location: Rochester, NY

Re: [MOD][WIP] FTL Infinite Space

Postby thashepherd » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:58 pm

Kieve wrote:Remember to leave room to grow - the fun is in the journey, not the destination (and in IS's case, it's all journey).


Ooh, well-played.
You are the weak, and I am the tyranny of evil men - but I'm trying, I'm trying real hard to be the shepherd.

"Wow, that Kieve guy is one angsty nerd eh."
Sonata - "Best use of Common Lisp in an indie space roguelike!"
MrSmite
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:03 am

Re: [MOD][WIP] FTL Infinite Space

Postby MrSmite » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:17 am

Great mod, really enjoy the sense of exploration.

I have just two minor issues with balance:

1. My ship misses way too much

I use the Kestrel 'B' and even with a 2-star gunner, I will simply miss all four shots over and over. When you factor in that my drone also misses repeatedly, it can make encounters extremely long and annoying.

For example, I encountered a Bomber with four shields. I activated all four weapons (2 on shields, 1 on engines and 1 on weapons) and turned on my Anti-Ship Drone I. I proceeded to then sit back and watch everything miss for literally 11 minutes. When a few stray shots did manage to get through, they only took down one shield bubble which was promptly regenerated before my next volley.

2. My crew is way too weak

One valid solution to issue #1 would be a crew transporter. Indeed, I thought that was a great idea too. Unfortunately my two Mantis get murdered almost instantly upon materializing because they get mobbed by 4 opponents.

To make matters worse, I had an encounter where the enemy teleported 4 Mantis onto my ship. Not only did they chew through my crew (Mantis and Rock) but they seem to pass through level 3 doors like they were level 1.


Sorry to complain without offering a solution but I don't have much knowledge on the inner workings of FTL. I presume from reading this thread that these types of issues are not easily resolved using XML alone.
Mj64
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:12 pm
Location: Victoria, BC

Re: [MOD][WIP] FTL Infinite Space

Postby Mj64 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:11 am

MrSmite wrote:Great mod, really enjoy the sense of exploration.

I have just two minor issues with balance:

1. My ship misses way too much

I use the Kestrel 'B' and even with a 2-star gunner, I will simply miss all four shots over and over. When you factor in that my drone also misses repeatedly, it can make encounters extremely long and annoying.

For example, I encountered a Bomber with four shields. I activated all four weapons (2 on shields, 1 on engines and 1 on weapons) and turned on my Anti-Ship Drone I. I proceeded to then sit back and watch everything miss for literally 11 minutes. When a few stray shots did manage to get through, they only took down one shield bubble which was promptly regenerated before my next volley.

2. My crew is way too weak

One valid solution to issue #1 would be a crew transporter. Indeed, I thought that was a great idea too. Unfortunately my two Mantis get murdered almost instantly upon materializing because they get mobbed by 4 opponents.

To make matters worse, I had an encounter where the enemy teleported 4 Mantis onto my ship. Not only did they chew through my crew (Mantis and Rock) but they seem to pass through level 3 doors like they were level 1.


Sorry to complain without offering a solution but I don't have much knowledge on the inner workings of FTL. I presume from reading this thread that these types of issues are not easily resolved using XML alone.


This are VERY easily fixed issues. If the enemy is too tough, run. Get better weaponry fast! And if you have only a two person teleporter, attack two person rooms and focus on ONE place if you have 4 Basic Lasers, if you hit, you can do more.
MrSmite
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:03 am

Re: [MOD][WIP] FTL Infinite Space

Postby MrSmite » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:33 am

@Mj64

What you suggested isn't a fix or maybe you misunderstood me.

It isn't so much that I don't do enough damage, it's that I can't hit the target in the first place. All I see is "miss", "miss", "miss miss" for my four weapons over and over. This is with a 2-star gunnery NPC.

I also don't understand your comment about attacking two person rooms. I teleported to the engine compartment on a Mantis Cruiser which is only two person. Four Mantis came running. Two waited outside and two came in. The two in the room with me got my team to around 25% health and then they swapped out with the two healthy ones outside.

The damage done by my team was far less than the opponent. My away team only got the first pair down to 75% while they got me to 25%. Mantis vs. Mantis shouldn't be that skewed.
MrSmite
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:03 am

Re: [MOD][WIP] FTL Infinite Space

Postby MrSmite » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:38 am

@DrkTemplar

Request: Don't automatically jump the ship to the next sector at the exit beacon

Is it possible to add a "next sector" button on the exit beacon? In a few sectors there are a cluster of beacons that are only accessible if you pass through the exit node. Unfortunately the way the mod is right now, it automatically ports you to the next sector when you land on the exit beacon.

I remember in one sector I had a small cluster in the bottom right which consisted of 4 beacons, 2 of which were stores that I would've liked to check out.

By adding a "next sector" button it allows pilots to use the standard jump button to reach the isolated beacons or hit the "next sector" button to move on in exploration.
MuffinPie
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:12 pm

Re: [MOD][WIP] FTL Infinite Space

Postby MuffinPie » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:14 pm

I found a bug! When a ship wanted me to escort it to a destination, the destination was decided on the beacon I was on, and it immediately gave me a reward.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests