Do xml names matter?

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
AnAngryMantis

Do xml names matter?

Postby AnAngryMantis » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:01 pm

Say I put a mantis boarding event inside of the events_engi.xml file. Would it still work. Seems like a simple question, but it's been bothering me. Also, on the side note, for adding new enemy ships to already existing ship lists, would I put it in the dlcBlueprintsOverwrite.xml or the regular autoBlueprints.xml?
mr_easy_money

Re: Do xml names matter?

Postby mr_easy_money » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:11 pm

I'm not sure about a few things which is why I hesitated to answer, hoping someone else more knowledgeable would, but since nobody's replying here's what I think.
AnAngryMantis wrote:Say I put a mantis boarding event inside of the events_engi.xml file. Would it still work. Seems like a simple question, but it's been bothering me.

I think it doesn't matter, as long as it is referenced correctly. for it to spawn in a Mantis sector you'd have to add the event to the sectorDescription of the Mantis sector or add it to an eventList which is referenced in the sectorDescription. I'm not completely sure about the latter, like if you made an event in one file but referenced in the eventList of another... will it still load correctly. I'm not sure.
AnAngryMantis wrote:Also, on the side note, for adding new enemy ships to already existing ship lists, would I put it in the dlcBlueprintsOverwrite.xml or the regular autoBlueprints.xml?

dlcBlueprintsOverwrite.xml contains "OVERRIDE_" ship lists which override corresponding ship lists in autoBlueprints.xml, if AE is enabled. so if you want to add new enemy ships to ship lists you should add them to ship lists in both files, maybe make some difference if you like because you can.

as for which file to place the enemy ship itself in, I think it should go in autoBlueprints.xml since it will be referenced in both ship lists, or if only referenced in AE ship lists it should go in dlcBlueprintsOverwrite.xml.

if instead you made new ship lists, it's probably best to put the new enemy ship next to it, could be either autoBlueprints or dlcBlueprintsOverwrite. dlcBlueprintsOverwrite just lets you create OVERRIDE_ lists that replace existing lists in autoBlueprints, enabling content difference between AE disabled and enabled.

if you put a ship in dlcBlueprintsOverwrite but you reference it in autoBlueprints, I don't know if it will work. I think it would, but I'm not sure.

----
unrelated, but about your signature, you can make the image itself into the link:

Code: Select all

[url=http://www.subsetgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=33120][img]https://i.imgsafe.org/a5/a5dc2a0b15.png[/img][/url]