Where do you put your drone images?

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
AnAngryMantis

Where do you put your drone images?

Postby AnAngryMantis » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:37 am

This may be a simple question, but when I am modding drones, theres a line that says this :
<droneImage>drone_combat</droneImage>

Where are those images stored? The only place I could find anything close to it was in the images folder, where drone pictures are put, but that didn't include anything simply named drone_combat. I even opened every single file in the data folder with notepad++ and searched, and there were no results that had anything to do with images. So I may just be dumb, but where do you put those drone images? Its not in the animations.xml and its nor is it in the blueprints.xml.
mr_easy_money

Re: Where do you put your drone images?

Postby mr_easy_money » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:34 pm

drone image stuff should be in img/ship/drones

why it's inside the ship folder and not outside like the weapons folder is anyone's guess... :roll:

oh and here's a good guide on how all the different drone images for one drone relate: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=16922#p51886
AnAngryMantis

Postby AnAngryMantis » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:47 pm

drone image stuff should be in img/ship/drones

Right, but that doesn't really answer my question. I guess I kind of worded it badly, but I read the post you provided, and from what I can piece toghther, do I just add my images into my mod's drone image folder, then type the first part of the drone image's name? I know where to put the images, just don't know how to impletment them into the game.
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:14 am

AnAngryMantis wrote:I read the post you provided, and from what I can piece toghther, do I just add my images into my mod's drone image folder, then type the first part of the drone image's name? I know where to put the images, just don't know how to impletment them into the game.

yeah that sounds like it.

Code: Select all

<droneImage>my_drone</droneImage>
would correspond with images in img/ship/drones named my_drone_base, my_drone_charged, my_drone_on, etc.
~~~
the following details I uncovered when looking at both vanilla FTL and sMPK's Insurrection:

combat drones have a set of images defining their animation:
_base --> what you see when the drone is depowered.
_charged --> what you see when the drone is about to fire. looks like it copies _base if left out.
_on --> what you see when the drone is firing. what's fired depends on the combat drone's given weaponBlueprint. looks like it copies _charged if left out.
_engine --> follows the direction the drone is moving on the ship's shield ellipse. looks like if the _engine image is left out, the default "drone_engine.png" image is used.

defense drones (including anti-drones) have the same set of images for the base of the drone, but a separate set of images for the "gun" that swivels around the drone based on what it's about to intercept/fire at:
_gun --> what you see when the drone is depowered.
_gun_charged --> what you see when the drone is about to fire.
_gun_on --> what you see after the drone has fired and is reloading.
bamalf

Postby bamalf » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:05 am

I have not seen a single drone with a custom "_engine" in the game, I believe that it does not work.
Image Image Image
AnAngryMantis

Postby AnAngryMantis » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:59 am

Thanks for all the help, everyone. I'm working on drones for my mod, so this will help a lot.