[MOD][WIP] Hard-coded Modding Trial Version Released

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Northern_Warrior

Re: [MOD][WIP] Hard-coded Modding Trial Version Released

Postby Northern_Warrior » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:18 pm

Update to the mod. New link is here and has also been updated in the main post: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6bycoq1z1j342 ... d.EXE?dl=0

Changes:

Crew changes:
-Mantis move speed at 220% instead of 120%
-Mantis repair speed at 25% instead of 50%
-Mantis damage at 200% instead of 150%
-Rockman health at 250 instead of 200
-Crystal health at 200 instead 150
-Rockman move speed at 25% instead of 50%
-Crystal move speed at 50% instead of 80%

UI changes:
Experimenting with the floor, changed the color and some other minor things. VIdeo showcase of floor color and mantis speed here:
https://gfycat.com/shorttermvigorousivorygull
Northern_Warrior

Postby Northern_Warrior » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:20 pm

Update to the mod. New link is here and has also been updated in the main post: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6bycoq1z1j342 ... d.EXE?dl=0

Changes:

Crew changes:
-Crystals now function the same as Lanius and Ghosts in an environment lacking oxygen. They do not lose health without it.
-Crystal lockdown ability now starts off fully charged (as it should have in the game in my opinion) and the lockdown timer has gone down from 50 seconds to 25.

UI changes:
Fixed the floor from the previous version and made it more visible. Added a vintage outline to crew members. Various other UI bug fixes.
Northern_Warrior

Postby Northern_Warrior » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:33 am

Changes

Crew and race:
Lanius move speed at 120% instead of 85%
Engi repair speed at 400% instead of 200%
Engi damage at 25% instead 50%
[SPECIAL] Ghost max health at 300 instead of 50. Ghosts are not in the original game and are found in mods, so this won't affect an otherwise un-modded game.

Captain System:
Enemy Captains now exist, they have 300 health but do not have regeneration (at the moment).

Miscellaneous:
-Various bug fixes as well.

While I am still focusing on the crew, this is probably a good time for some crew ideas/suggestions on new mechanics or possibly balancing as I have not play tested the mod much. I think after I get bored of crew modding I will start focusing more on the ship and systems, perhaps some more custom HUD/UI (might make my own even). Been thinking about and experimenting with some new mechanics on my own as well, if all goes well there might be some bigger updates soon.
Northern_Warrior

Postby Northern_Warrior » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:29 pm

Sorry for the special text, but I have an important question regarding the mod. Would you rather have the mod automatically activate or have it like it is now (press F5 or any other key I might come up with to activate)?
mr_easy_money

Postby mr_easy_money » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:00 pm

Northern_Warrior wrote:Sorry for the special text, but I have an important question regarding the mod. Would you rather have the mod automatically activate or have it like it is now (press F5 or any other key I might come up with to activate)?

I feel like not having it automatically activate is a bit strange, I would have thought the application would do that by itself. this would probably clear up issues people have with using the key at certain points.
Northern_Warrior

Postby Northern_Warrior » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:06 pm

mr_easy_money wrote:
Northern_Warrior wrote:Sorry for the special text, but I have an important question regarding the mod. Would you rather have the mod automatically activate or have it like it is now (press F5 or any other key I might come up with to activate)?

I feel like not having it automatically activate is a bit strange, I would have thought the application would do that by itself. this would probably clear up issues people have with using the key at certain points.

Yes, I thought so, but wanted a second opinion first. I've been getting to some more advanced stuff lately as well, so having it automatically activate will be a nice way to remove any bugs in the mod due to player error.
Northern_Warrior

Postby Northern_Warrior » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:00 pm

Big update, the mod now activates automatically and I've started using lua alongside assembly. There is a C++ side project going on as well, but that does not matter for the mod right now. I've also fixed plenty of bugs and updated the executable to make it look nicer.

Besides that, I've removed captain regeneration and infinite augments so I can fix them for the next version as they had some issues. All you have to do to start the mod is run the .exe file alongside FTLGame.exe. Ignore the lua engine string warning, it won't do anything. Just minimize it and you'll be fine. I had to re-do all my code for this, so I could not release any new features. However, the code is now significantly improved and many bugs have been removed. I'm now back to adding more features to the mod.

NOTE: The UI toggle is still page down and page up and has not been changed.

Updated link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/10iuu3eepks4z ... d.EXE?dl=0
Northern_Warrior

Postby Northern_Warrior » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:00 am

Update to the mod. New link is here and has also been updated in the main post: https://www.dropbox.com/s/10iuu3eepks4z ... d.EXE?dl=0

Changes:

Crew changes:
- Crystal lockdown now leaves a permanent graphical effect. Crystals never disappear. Video showcase here: https://gfycat.com/boilingscarcekronosaurus
- Found the value for Ghost Transparency, changed it from 50% to 25%.

System changes:
- Infinite augments are back and fixed.

Bugfixes:
- Fixed infinite augments, so they are now back.
- Fixed a game breaking bug in which slugs caused a black screen.
- Fixed a bug where ghosts were invisible, and also discovered the transparency value in the process.
- Fixed a lot more minor bugs.

External Bugfixes:
- Fixed the Lua Engine string error.

I planned on releasing this a bit later, when more of the things I'm currently working on are working properly, but the bugs were too serious. Which is why I would like to ask everyone yet again, if you have played this, the two most important things you can tell me are: does it work, and, what bugs did you discover. If you have any opinions on the balance of the mod or ideas, they are welcome as well.
Northern_Warrior

Postby Northern_Warrior » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:24 pm

Update to the mod. New link is here and has also been updated in the main post: https://www.dropbox.com/s/10iuu3eepks4z ... d.EXE?dl=0

Changes:

New Mechanics:
- Faction based race changes. The first one in the mod ( and only at the moment ) is this one: Federation have blue uniforms, rebels have black ones.
- New missile, scrap, fuel, drone part and repair mechanics. Hold TAB and press LMB ( you will have to press it a few times, it is a bit bugged right now ) to repair 5 hull for 20 scrap and 1 drone part. Press left SHIFT to turn 1 drone part into 3 scrap, and press left ALT to turn 1 missile into 1 fuel and 1 scrap.
- Captain regeneration is back, and now works for both enemy and friendly captains. It now works like this: Captain regenerates 3hp/second.
- All these mechanics have new sounds ( well, I used vanilla FTL sounds, but what I mean is, I will now be adding custom sounds to different things in the future )

Sounds:
- New sounds for the new mechanics

Bug fixes:
- Many small bug fixes

Showcase of all new mechanics here:
https://gfycat.com/occasionalbackcygnet

Considering there are now new sounds, does anyone have any ideas or suggestions about those? Of course, as always, other suggestions/ideas and bug reports are welcome.
IXXIAIXXI

Postby IXXIAIXXI » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:30 pm

I was a bit curious about what changes can be made to evasion.

Can engines be changed to allow for more dodge at levels above 8?
Can crew experience/levels be changed or added to allow for more dodge? (Or shield recharge rate or weapon recharge rate, if you count all crew bonuses)

It would of course be very overpowered, but constant 100% dodge without cloaking would just be so interesting to see in the game.

I also have a question.

Are ships supposed to get more crew when the mod is enabled? The 8 crew cap is gone, but It doesn't change what the ship starts with. Maybe I've misunderstood things.

I love what you've been doing with this mod.