Modding Assistance Needed

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Zaffre

Modding Assistance Needed

Postby Zaffre » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:28 am

Hi. Several times now I've decided to try my hand at modding using CaptainShooby's event tutorial. However, I'm having an issue. I've triple checked everything was correct, there were no incorrect characters, and installed the modded data.dat. However, whenever I start up the game and it gets past the loading screen, this pops up.
What's going on? Any help would be appreciated! :)
Whale Cancer

Re: Modding Assistance Needed

Postby Whale Cancer » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:34 am

It can be a LOT of different things. I constantly test each 4 or 5 lines of XML I write so I know when something breaks.

Care to post what you have done?
Contribute to help save the Whales from their various diseases! *DELAYED* Should release the skeleton with the main quests attached by the end of the week (By NOV 9)! *DELAYED* Don't listen to my dates! Things always seem to come up!
Zaffre

Postby Zaffre » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:00 am

I ended up deleting the code but it looked something like this.

<event name="SLUG_DERELICT_SHIP">
<text>You find a derelict Slug ship which has a weapon that can be installed on your ship.</text>
<weapon name="RANDOM"/>
</event>

The purpose was to test if I could get a custom event to work, but apparently not.
Whale Cancer

Postby Whale Cancer » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:08 am

Zaffre wrote:I ended up deleting the code but it looked something like this.

<event name="SLUG_DERELICT_SHIP">
<text>You find a derelict Slug ship which has a weapon that can be installed on your ship.</text>
<weapon name="RANDOM"/>
</event>

The purpose was to test if I could get a custom event to work, but apparently not.

Here is a sample event that does the same thing. Your code seems fine... It must be somewhere else? Or is that the whole thing?

Code: Select all

<event>
      <text>"Thank the Gods. We can finally get out of here!  We're jumping straight home so take this extra weapon. We won't need it, hopefully."</text>
      <weapon name="RANDOM"/>
   </event>

OH! Go File -> Save As... What type of encoding do you have selected?
Contribute to help save the Whales from their various diseases! *DELAYED* Should release the skeleton with the main quests attached by the end of the week (By NOV 9)! *DELAYED* Don't listen to my dates! Things always seem to come up!
Zaffre

Postby Zaffre » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:37 am

I was editing the file with Notepad++; I just used Save and not Save As. I made the Blazing Cruiser mod like that and it worked fine. Maybe my inexperience caused me to make a stupid decision? :/
Whale Cancer

Postby Whale Cancer » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:23 pm

Zaffre wrote:I was editing the file with Notepad++; I just used Save and not Save As. I made the Blazing Cruiser mod like that and it worked fine. Maybe my inexperience caused me to make a stupid decision? :/

Okay, well it needs to be in ANSI encoding. Maybe you changed that by accident at some point, because I don't see anything wrong with the code you posted.