[TOOL]FTLEdit: FTL Ship editor [v0.95 11th Jan] Open source!

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Ginger Dragon

Re: [TOOL]FTLEdit: FTL Ship editor [v0.88] (Please test!)

Postby Ginger Dragon » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:00 am

Jedi_1993 wrote:I cannot find the unpacked folder, I can only see the .dat files within my FTL > resources folder.
Unless you mean the FTLShipEdit > resource > img > ship folder, which is where they are currently.
:/

No, they have to be in the actual games files. you have to install ftldat.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1920

That'll create the "resource.dat unpacked" folder in the resources folder.
Check out my youtube channel. I do FTL mod playthroughs, as well as all kinds of other assorted games.
http://www.youtube.com/user/GingerDragon87?feature=mhee
Jedi_1993

Postby Jedi_1993 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:09 am

Ginger Dragon wrote:
Jedi_1993 wrote:I cannot find the unpacked folder, I can only see the .dat files within my FTL > resources folder.
Unless you mean the FTLShipEdit > resource > img > ship folder, which is where they are currently.
:/

No, they have to be in the actual games files. you have to install ftldat.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1920

That'll create the "resource.dat unpacked" folder in the resources folder.

Ok, I'll look into that. Thanks :)
alextfish

Postby alextfish » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:22 am

As far as I can tell, the Ship Editor's "Export to FTL" doesn't copy the images you're using. So you need to:
* Rename the .ftl file to .zip
* Extract the zip
* Copy your images into the img/ship directory
* Give them names starting with the "Important ship settings" "Img" setting - e.g. if that's "myship" then you need to create myship_base.png and myship_floor.png (and probably myship_gib1.png - myship_gib6.png)
* Re-create the zip file (with directory paths relative to the directory containing "img" and "data")
* Rename this new zip file to .ftl and put it in your mods directory
Many years ago I created the FTL Starcraft mod: 18 new challenging ships to fly through the FTL universe!, and wrote a tutorial on creating your own FTL ships. They haven't been updated for AE though.
Jedi_1993

Postby Jedi_1993 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:38 am

alextfish wrote:As far as I can tell, the Ship Editor's "Export to FTL" doesn't copy the images you're using. So you need to:
* Rename the .ftl file to .zip
* Extract the zip
* Copy your images into the img/ship directory
* Give them names starting with the "Important ship settings" "Img" setting - e.g. if that's "myship" then you need to create myship_base.png and myship_floor.png (and probably myship_gib1.png - myship_gib6.png)
* Re-create the zip file (with directory paths relative to the directory containing "img" and "data")
* Rename this new zip file to .ftl and put it in your mods directory

How do I change the .zip file to a .ftl file?
I can do it the other way around fine but this doesn't want to let me.
Mr. n

Postby Mr. n » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:11 pm

Jedi_1993 wrote:How do I change the .zip file to a .ftl file?
I can do it the other way around fine but this doesn't want to let me.

Open the folder in which you have the .zip/.ftl file(s). If on W7/XP - open the "Tools" menu, choose "Folder Options". Choose the "View" tab. UN-check "Hide extensions for known file types". Apply and/or OK.

Then just right-click the desired file and choose rename - the extension should be changeable as well now. OR select the file and press F2 - that's the keyboard shortcut for rename.

Hope I helped ;).

**EDIT**

Well, I've tested all three ship editors/makers and I'm still waiting for one that would be comprehensive and would actually work.

This one seems to be the best, is able to define the shield geometry, etc. - but no floorplan editing (not that hard, MSpaint-like functions to implement), jumbling the ship at save/load (impossible to tell at which moment) - save a good ship floorplan, load one with rooms overlapping each other, doors outside of the ship and blanked (and uneditable) fields in the description - augmentations, weapons, etc..

I'll be around, but I have to admit I'm really looking forward to "one-click magic" comprehensive ship editor which would just save your ship properly, do all the images, shields geometry, descriptions, etc. properly, leaving the players with only designing and loading its .ftl into the game by GMM on their mind.
A_Moving_Target

Postby A_Moving_Target » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:42 pm

I can't seem to get any of my custom ships to appear in the game.

1) I open the FTL Editor and edit an existing ship, changing the stats etc. around. Then I "Export as .ftl"
2) I place the file.ftl into the mods directory for GMM
3) I run GMM and patch my new ship into the game
4) I run FTL, and when I select a new game, my ship does not appear.

No error messages or anything, I'm just not getting my ship.
alextfish

Postby alextfish » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:17 am

I'm having lots of success using this to design the ships for my Starcraft retheme. Thanks for the tool!

My biggest WISHLIST items for FTL Ship Editor, in order, most desired first:

• Export the alignment of the base image relative to the layout. You've got it in there (via the "Move BG" button), please let us get it out of there rather than have to recreate it!
  • Let us position weapon mount points
  • If you were able to fix the issue where some rooms aren't crewable (2-space engine rooms), that's be awesome
  • Ability to load previously saved ships without losing the weapon/etc details
  • Only register clicks (and especially drags) when it's actually the focused window
  • Put the loaded BG and floor images into the exported .ftl file's img directory (easy enough to do ourselves, but it'd be easy for you to do it too)
Many years ago I created the FTL Starcraft mod: 18 new challenging ships to fly through the FTL universe!, and wrote a tutorial on creating your own FTL ships. They haven't been updated for AE though.
alextfish

Postby alextfish » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:37 am

A_Moving_Target wrote:I can't seem to get any of my custom ships to appear in the game.

1) I open the FTL Editor and edit an existing ship, changing the stats etc. around. Then I "Export as .ftl"
2) I place the file.ftl into the mods directory for GMM
3) I run GMM and patch my new ship into the game
4) I run FTL, and when I select a new game, my ship does not appear.

No error messages or anything, I'm just not getting my ship.
When you say "does not appear", do you mean you get the customised layout & weapons but no image, or do you mean you get the original FTL ship with no changes?

Assuming it's the latter (the ship is the original FTL ship as if your mod wasn't there), the only thought I have is: Did you change the "ID" in "Important ship settings"? So far it seems best to leave the ID as one of the 18 original ship IDs, "PLAYER_SHIP_CIRCLE" or "PLAYER_SHIP_JELLY_2" etc. This determines where in the hangar it will be. You can change everything else so it bears no resemblance to the ship originally in that slot, but I think you need to leave the ID as one of the original values.

If you need to make any changes, rename the .ftl file into .zip, extract it, and edit the data/blueprints.xml.append file. Then re-zip it, being careful to keep the paths as starting at "data/" and "resources/". I find the best way to do this is to go into the unzipped directory ("myship_v0.1"), then select both "data" and "resources", then right-click and tell 7z or WinZip to create a new zip archive, which ends up named "myship_v0.1.zip". Then rename this new zip to .ftl and move it up one level into the "mods" directory, overwriting the previous version.
xnemth

Postby xnemth » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:56 am

Is this still being developed, or is done 'as is' for the foreseeable future?
Darkfrost

Postby Darkfrost » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:11 am

Still being developed, just got put on hold for a bit since real-life stuff got in the way :)
Love FTL? Wish you could fly around in the USS Enterprise, the Tardis, or a ship that looks just like your own face? Check out FTLEdit, a ship editor for FTL, so you can create your own custom ships and play them!
Don't forget to share them too! :)