[TOOL]FTLEdit: FTL Ship editor [v0.95 11th Jan] Open source!

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
A_Moving_Target

Re: [TOOL]FTLEdit: FTL Ship editor [v0.88] (Please test!)

Postby A_Moving_Target » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:42 pm

I can't seem to get any of my custom ships to appear in the game.

1) I open the FTL Editor and edit an existing ship, changing the stats etc. around. Then I "Export as .ftl"
2) I place the file.ftl into the mods directory for GMM
3) I run GMM and patch my new ship into the game
4) I run FTL, and when I select a new game, my ship does not appear.

No error messages or anything, I'm just not getting my ship.
alextfish

Postby alextfish » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:17 am

I'm having lots of success using this to design the ships for my Starcraft retheme. Thanks for the tool!

My biggest WISHLIST items for FTL Ship Editor, in order, most desired first:

• Export the alignment of the base image relative to the layout. You've got it in there (via the "Move BG" button), please let us get it out of there rather than have to recreate it!
  • Let us position weapon mount points
  • If you were able to fix the issue where some rooms aren't crewable (2-space engine rooms), that's be awesome
  • Ability to load previously saved ships without losing the weapon/etc details
  • Only register clicks (and especially drags) when it's actually the focused window
  • Put the loaded BG and floor images into the exported .ftl file's img directory (easy enough to do ourselves, but it'd be easy for you to do it too)
alextfish

Postby alextfish » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:37 am

A_Moving_Target wrote:I can't seem to get any of my custom ships to appear in the game.

1) I open the FTL Editor and edit an existing ship, changing the stats etc. around. Then I "Export as .ftl"
2) I place the file.ftl into the mods directory for GMM
3) I run GMM and patch my new ship into the game
4) I run FTL, and when I select a new game, my ship does not appear.

No error messages or anything, I'm just not getting my ship.
When you say "does not appear", do you mean you get the customised layout & weapons but no image, or do you mean you get the original FTL ship with no changes?

Assuming it's the latter (the ship is the original FTL ship as if your mod wasn't there), the only thought I have is: Did you change the "ID" in "Important ship settings"? So far it seems best to leave the ID as one of the 18 original ship IDs, "PLAYER_SHIP_CIRCLE" or "PLAYER_SHIP_JELLY_2" etc. This determines where in the hangar it will be. You can change everything else so it bears no resemblance to the ship originally in that slot, but I think you need to leave the ID as one of the original values.

If you need to make any changes, rename the .ftl file into .zip, extract it, and edit the data/blueprints.xml.append file. Then re-zip it, being careful to keep the paths as starting at "data/" and "resources/". I find the best way to do this is to go into the unzipped directory ("myship_v0.1"), then select both "data" and "resources", then right-click and tell 7z or WinZip to create a new zip archive, which ends up named "myship_v0.1.zip". Then rename this new zip to .ftl and move it up one level into the "mods" directory, overwriting the previous version.
xnemth

Postby xnemth » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:56 am

Is this still being developed, or is done 'as is' for the foreseeable future?
Darkfrost

Postby Darkfrost » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:11 am

Still being developed, just got put on hold for a bit since real-life stuff got in the way :)
Love FTL? Wish you could fly around in the USS Enterprise, the Tardis, or a ship that looks just like your own face? Check out FTLEdit, a ship editor for FTL, so you can create your own custom ships and play them!
Don't forget to share them too! :)
alextfish

Postby alextfish » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:24 am

Darkfrost wrote:Still being developed, just got put on hold for a bit since real-life stuff got in the way :)
That's great to hear! Don't worry, I know how it is when you've developed a tool, put it out there on the internet, and then people keep using it and finding bugs and asking you to fix them. Especially when there are other things you'd rather be doing (in my case, that'd be playing and modding FTL!)

When you have a moment, it'd be great to hear which of the bugs or feature requests you're planning to look at next. But don't worry, I know how we can sometimes need to take time away from supporting random free tools we put on the web!
Absu

Postby Absu » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:50 pm

A hint if you want to get all the coordinates in the ships' XML-files right just open the ship-images in Photoshop and turn on the info panel (Window -> Show info, should be it) and you can hover to get the coordinates. For example the x- and y-attributes in the XML-file seem to be where the room's origin (0, 0 position) should be.

The weapon-mount positions seem to be a little mystery to me though. It seems they're a little offset from the position in the ship XML-file, however "mirror" seem to indicate that a weapon should be the mirror, that is y is counted from the bottom up instead of top down.

In case of enemy-ships the x- and y-coordiantes seem to switch too unless I've missed something.
Hydra74

Postby Hydra74 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:38 am

Hi guys! Could someone help with my issue? i get evrything going and when ever i choose my ship from the list i get "assertion failed, line 1383, expression: text" how can i fix that?
cheers for any help given

*edit: ok changed a few things, now it gives this error: "this application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way." i can see the ship in selection menu, it has the custom image i set (millenium falcon) and everytime i select it it crashes :(
filip15100

Postby filip15100 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:20 am

Hey, I got an problem here, the program was working all fine and everything and I had no issues using it. But when I tried to recreate one of my ships, the editor worked all fine, but then when I tried to access it in the game it just shutted down, no error messages, nothing, and I did nothing different than I always have done. I tried reinstalling this editor tried to make my ship a bit different etc. it didn't work. So I hope that someone could help me with this situation, as I'm completely clueless on what to do.
alextfish

Postby alextfish » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:49 am

A couple of ideas for fixing both of the last problems:

Take note of the "Important ship settings" you specified in the editor Options. If you don't have it open in the FTL Ship Editor any more, unzip the .ftl file and look in the data/blueprints.xml.append file, on the line that looks like this:

<shipBlueprint name="PLAYER_SHIP_MANTIS" img="mutalisk" layout="mutalisk">

The "ID" in the Editor, which is the "name" in the XML file, should always be one of the 18 FTL ships: PLAYER_SHIP_HARD, PLAYER_SHIP_JELLY_2, PLAYER_SHIP_CIRCLE, etc.

The "layout" needs to match the .txt file and the .xml file in the same directory as the blueprints.xml.append file. E.g. for my ship above with layout="mutalisk", there needs to be mutalisk.txt and mutalisk.xml in the same directory. FTL Ship Editor provides the .txt file so this shouldn't be a problem, but the .xml file you'll need to make yourself. Copy one of the base game's ones (e.g. kestral.xml), rename it to match your layout (e.g. mutalisk.xml), and edit it to specify the width and height of your ship image. This is also where you adjust the x and y offset of the image to get it lined up underneath the rooms.

The "img" needs to correspond to lots of files in the img/ship directory. You need to provide myshipname_base.png; myshipname_floor.png; myshipname_gib1.png; and myshipname_gib2.png, 3, 4, 5, myshipname_gib6.png if your XML file defines those gibs. To start with you can just have the ship image in myshipname_base.png, create a copy of that in myshipname_gib1.png, and then put an empty png image as _floor and _gib2-_gib6.