[MOD][WIP] Starcraft Total Conversion

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
dalolorn

Re: [MOD][WIP] Starcraft Total Conversion

Postby dalolorn » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:07 pm

Tuesday wrote:I know its been quite some time since ive been on, but I just thought I'd tell everyone who may be waiting on this...

I will NOT be continuing this any longer, it would be great to see, and it was some fun working on it and hearing ideas people had for it. But I will no longer be working on this project, reason? Because I will be going into full-time game development soon, I want to get a release under my belt before I go off to college and maybe earn some money for it while im at it.

Thanks for the support, Live long and prosper, may the forces be with you, and other famous Sci-fi quotes.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO..................OOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
Whale Cancer

Postby Whale Cancer » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:03 pm

Picking this up would be so much easier than the mod I am working on right now. Must. Resist. Urge. To. Switch. Projects.
Contribute to help save the Whales from their various diseases! *DELAYED* Should release the skeleton with the main quests attached by the end of the week (By NOV 9)! *DELAYED* Don't listen to my dates! Things always seem to come up!
dalolorn

Postby dalolorn » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:34 pm

Whale Cancer wrote:Picking this up would be so much easier than the mod I am working on right now. Must. Resist. Urge. To. Switch. Projects. Until. Later.

Fixed it for you :D
Hailcrest

Postby Hailcrest » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:14 pm

an idea, Slugs as hydras. (EDIT oh just saw that he stopped)
POM_Fenris

Postby POM_Fenris » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:11 pm

Having never played Starcraft, I wouldn't be able to draw the parallels, but this looks like a good mod nonetheless. I wish you luck, and when it's done I'll give it a shot. The ships you get normally get boring anyways.
Whale Cancer

Postby Whale Cancer » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:15 pm

Perhaps a mod could edit the subject title to indicate it has been abandoned?
Contribute to help save the Whales from their various diseases! *DELAYED* Should release the skeleton with the main quests attached by the end of the week (By NOV 9)! *DELAYED* Don't listen to my dates! Things always seem to come up!
spencmm

Postby spencmm » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:52 pm

REMOVED
alextfish

Postby alextfish » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:39 am

Awwwww. I'm really sad to hear this has been discontinued. I've been having loads of ideas for it: I've been writing details specs for all the ships. (E.g. Medivac has a 4-space teleporter, no weapons, but Healing Burst! As well as a level 2 medbay, and the standard Terran MULE (Hull Repair Drone). Carrier has 4 Anti-Ship I Drones, but only enough power to run 2 of them at first, and a Drone Recovery Arm. Raven and Science Vessel both have level 2 scanners and Long-Ranger Scanners. Raven has Defense Drones and Anti-Ship 2, and is entirely crewed by Engi. Science Vessel has Ion Bomb as EMP and Anti-Bio Beam as Irradiate. and so on.)

If anyone's able to get in contact with Tuesday (looks like he's also known as Dreadmoth?), it'd be great to get his Work In Progress and carry on with it. I'd be up for doing some of the work on this: I'm up for rewriting lots of XML, designing lots of ships (and events if we come to that), but not too confident on mucking around with resource files or C++.

Don't let the project die!
Many years ago I created the FTL Starcraft mod: 18 new challenging ships to fly through the FTL universe!, and wrote a tutorial on creating your own FTL ships. They haven't been updated for AE though.
alextfish

Postby alextfish » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:18 pm

You know what, I'm going to put my money where my mouth is. I'll pick up this project.

After a little initial playing around with mod tools, I was able to make a Medivac (still using Kestrel graphics for the moment). The play style it enables is interesting enough to convince me to continue with this, at least as much as implementing the 18 ships and renaming everything.

What I will do:
* Replace the 18 ships with 18 Starcraft air units, with weapons/drones/systems/etc configured to match their Starcraft equivalents
* Rename all the systems/weapons, and also crew races. Rewrite all the accompanying description text.
* Replace the icons for systems, drones and weapons with equivalents from SC2
* I believe I can make it that enemy ships will only include weapons/drones themed from one of the races. So an enemy ship firing broodlings and glaive wurms won't also have auto-turret drones and a prismatic beam. (Except the boss. :P)

My planned ships:
Kestrel = Viking / Medivac
Stealth Ship = Wraith / Banshee
Engi Ship = Science Vessel / Raven
Federation Ship = Battlecruiser / Carrier
Zoltan ship = Arbiter / Void Ray
Crystal ship = Phoenix / Warp Prism
Mantis ship = Mutalisk / Overlord
Slug ship = Devourer / Corruptor
Rock ship = Brood Lord / Queen

I have a lot of details planned for almost all of these ships, including a bunch of setups that I think will be a whole lot of fun to play.

What I'd like help with:
* Figuring out (and writing blurb for) what the Starcraft theme of the game is. I guess we're on the run from the Dominion fleet, and maybe the boss is Mengsk's flagship? But why are we running, and what's in sector 8 that we're heading for, and who is it that we meet up with when we get there? Rewriting the text for the start of sector 1 and 8.
* Can anyone get top-down views of the SC1 units? I've got all the SC2 units (including the Science Vessel and Wraith from the campaign), but despite finding a SC2 mod called SC2BW I can't make the map editor show me the SC1 units. So if anyone's able to find a top-down view of the Arbiter, Devourer, and air-unit Queen, that'd be great. Looks like we want the image to be about 800px by 400px.
* If anyone's up for taking the images I've got of the existing ships and splitting them into gibs, that'd help too.
* More ambitiously, in case anyone feels up to creating sprite versions of the crew members walking around as marines / marauders / SCVs / zerglings / infestors / zealots / templar, that'd be exceedingly cool. Seems unlikely though: that's a lot of sprite animations.

What I may not be up to doing:
* Converting text of all the events. I'd love to retheme all the events to be Starcrafty, but it'd be an insane amount of work.
Many years ago I created the FTL Starcraft mod: 18 new challenging ships to fly through the FTL universe!, and wrote a tutorial on creating your own FTL ships. They haven't been updated for AE though.
alextfish

Postby alextfish » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:40 pm

Making good progress here!

Got six ships into FTL so far, with varying degrees of completeness: the Medivac, Science Vessel, Raven, Carrier, Mutalisk, and Brood Lord. All of them are playable, and have the full ship background graphic, and renamed augments, crew, drones, and (where appropriate) weapons.

See several more screenshots here:

http://imgur.com/a/2us82#0

Work will continue!

Would still love it if anyone can tell me how to get the Arbiter, Devourer and air Queen from SC1 into the SC2 Map Editor.

Would also love it if anyone can tell me why sometimes putting a crewmember in a room still doesn't make them operate it. It seems to happen with engine rooms that are size 2 (not size 1 or 4), and with weapons rooms very frequently.
Last edited by alextfish on Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.