Hurray! Another multiplayer clone project. :)

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
assistancerobot

Re: Hurray! Another multiplayer clone project. :)

Postby assistancerobot » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:45 am

The_Bear wrote:
assistancerobot wrote:
The_Bear wrote:Tell me what you think.

I like this black version better

plz add it to the game

Its in the game, you just can't use it. Spektor said it was going to be in the scenario for Singleplayer/Coop, but I don't know when that's going to be added.

aw , I wanted to use it in multiplayer
The_Bear

Postby The_Bear » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:19 pm

assistancerobot wrote:
The_Bear wrote:
assistancerobot wrote:I like this black version better

plz add it to the game

Its in the game, you just can't use it. Spektor said it was going to be in the scenario for Singleplayer/Coop, but I don't know when that's going to be added.

aw , I wanted to use it in multiplayer

You can make your own version of it for your own server, and if Spektor doesn't make a version of it in the next update maybe you could get jrb to add it to his server.
jrb00001

Postby jrb00001 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:48 pm

The_Bear wrote:You can make your own version of it for your own server, and if Spektor doesn't make a version of it in the next update maybe you could get jrb to add it to his server.

If I add it to the server, every player has to add it to his client manually or he can not connect. I am working on a launcher to fix that and it already works with a patched version of the current client. There is just a single problem with the java web start implementation from oracle...
The_Bear

Postby The_Bear » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:55 pm

jrb00001 wrote:
The_Bear wrote:You can make your own version of it for your own server, and if Spektor doesn't make a version of it in the next update maybe you could get jrb to add it to his server.

If I add it to the server, every player has to add it to his client manually or he can not connect. I am working on a launcher to fix that and it already works with a patched version of the current client. There is just a single problem with the java web start implementation from oracle...

The image is already in the client, do you need something else?
jrb00001

Postby jrb00001 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:58 pm

The_Bear wrote:
jrb00001 wrote:

I am not sure but I think the client also needs the model and the icon.
The_Bear

Postby The_Bear » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:08 pm

jrb00001 wrote:
The_Bear wrote:
jrb00001 wrote:If I add it to the server, every player has to add it to his client manually or he can not connect. I am working on a launcher to fix that and it already works with a patched version of the current client. There is just a single problem with the java web start implementation from oracle...

I am not sure but I think the client also needs the model and the icon.

The client has the icon, not sure if it needs the model or if thats just so you can load ships to the ship editor.
kcd.Spektor

Postby kcd.Spektor » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:39 pm

The_Bear wrote:The client has the icon, not sure if it needs the model or if thats just so you can load ships to the ship editor.

Indeed the model file on the client side is just for the ship editor.

Server needs to have only the model file.
Client needs to have the SHIP IMAGE file and SHIP ICON IMAGE file that are specified in the model file hat is on the server.
If the client doesn't have either of these 2 he can still connect and play on the server, but he will not see the custom image, instead he will see a default (ship unknown) image.
But the rooms layout and the systems will be normal as they are on the server.

It will not be in the 0.4 update, it is planned for the 0.5
If you make a new model file you can give it to jrb, and he will just have to add it to the models folder and restart the server.
Since that image is already in the client's default pack - the only thing that will be missing is the ship icon, and that won't be a big deal.

Srul wrote:Got some concepts for GUI's and systems. Still need to work on their names, tho.

The_Bear wrote:I made some concept art for the shop system and how you can communicate with AI ships. So you dont need a system to trade with someone, so my idea is that you can hail a ship in the captains bridge.

Great work guys!
This helps out quite a lot.
When it comes to design - it's a lot easier for me to work on some basis, rather than from scratch.

assistancerobot wrote:just another clone? JUST ANOTHER CLONE? JUST ANOTHER CLONE?!?!?
somebody finally made working multiplayer!
except one problem : the server takes a while to laod.

This is something that will be fixed later on, I already have some ideas, but it's not high prio.

assistancerobot wrote:my computer has been downloading the server data for 30 minutes now...
and then when it finishes I glitch out!!

Even right now it shouldn't take more than 1-2 minutes.
If it takes longer - just reconnect.
kcd.Spektor

Postby kcd.Spektor » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:46 pm

Update the TODO list.
Srul

Postby Srul » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:52 pm

MOAR CONCEPTS!

Cloaking. Nothing special about it. 1 cloaking per ship. It will make the ship fully invisible, becaurse i'm too lazy to draw additional sprite.

GUI concept for it :

Mind control is funnier than cloaking. It will make enemy player attack others via making him an AI for a while. You might want to split it in 2 systems, otherwise, this thing is OP early in the game.

GUI concept for it :

My concept of communication thingy :

And, finally, a concept for player inventory :

Those 4 slots aren't just for 4 random things. 1 scrap piece, for example, will fill all 4 slots, while armor and other small stuff fills 1. So, you can have a piece of scrap in your inventory, and haul another piece to the ship, or you can haul 1 piece of armor in your hands, and have 5 1-handed weapons in your inventory, including one that you've equipped
Hak86

Postby Hak86 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:05 am

Hi All,
I somehow managed to find this forum on the internet about 2 weeks ago.
Since then I have given it to a few of my friends and they have enjoyed.
I just want to say I LOVE what you are doing and I would like to contribute.
I don't know how I could help apart from making a few images.
Your Fan,
Hak86

PS What happens if you change the species/Race of a player in the server player files?
PPS Where can I get the images for the original ships in FTL?
This is a bad signature. :|