This is applicable to all engines.
Proposal to Decouple Rooms and Systems
From John Luke Pack Hard's compilation of requested features:
- One system in a room, with multiple stations for multi-manned bonuses.
- Multiple systems in a room, each with different stations.
- One system spanning multiple rooms, in either of the above scenarios.
- Tetris-like non-rectangular rooms (affects system icon location).
How to accomodate that...
- Make stations independently placeable on squares in the ship (without blocking the square).
- A dummy-station would be invisible and auto-manned, but placed anyhow.
- Each station would be associated with a system; and each system with one or more stations.
- Each station's system icon would be rendered on the station's square. Not great from a usability standpoint, since crew would often obscure it... but traditional icon placement could still be used for rectangular rooms with one station.
If necessary, another requested feature "Ship foreground image" could help (I think referring to a togglable overlay to bring up as a reference diagram for things like teleport door pairs). Cover the area with a picture of an empty room with just the icon.
Damage dealing will have to account for deciding what systems to affect when a room is hit (likely all systems with stations present in that room; with the normal fixed amount of damage, regardless of how many stations or direct hits).
Same for repair (all systems, albeit one at a time, like with breaches and fires).
A system spanning multiple rooms could be repaired or damaged in two places at once for greater effect.
When multiple personnel sabotage/repair, the standard behavior of just standing somewhere in the room should be okay. No need to huddle around the station.