[MOD][WIP] FTL: Overdrive

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
UltraMantis

Re: [MOD][WIP] FTL: Overdrive

Postby UltraMantis » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:27 am

DLTyrus wrote:Another point that springs to mine is that in the OP, KuroSaru says that he hopes to avoid legal issues because his re-write of the engine will require someone to purchase the vanilla game in order to run. Having looked at the source code it seems that, among other things, it pulls the art assets from your game installation directory. How can you distribute this mod to run on smart phones/smart pads, without redistributing parts of the original game such as the assets?

That's a good effin question. The way this is usually solved is by recreating the resources with a community effort. Another way would be to transfer resources from your purchased copy, if that is possible. Lastly, though they are avoiding promises, the devs are looking into a mobile port, so that may never even be an issue.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
drax

Postby drax » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:11 pm

Hi there.
I just started playing FTL yesterday and the first thought that came to mind was "this game with mods will be even more Epic!" So I started browsing these forums.
And then I found this project, which is almost exactly what I was looking, a framework for modders to "go nuts".

Sadly, I lack any coding skills so at this stage there isn't much I can help with.
All I can do right now is write text for events/quest story/etc and english<->spanish translation.

So, this will be a bump and a huge THANK YOU to all the voluntary coders that are working on this, I believe it's really flattering to any game-designer when someone does this sort of "overhaul".

Keep at it guys!
John Luke Pack Hard

Postby John Luke Pack Hard » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:06 pm

Hey guys!

an update.

Some of you might have found out I had to stall my part. Others of you don't.

Good news to both! The stall is over! (for the most part). I'm on vacation for a week and then work will resume.

For those of you who don't know, there are a number of documents accessible via IRC chat channel #ftlgame commands !overdrive, !notes, and !docs. You can view them for yourself to get a feel for how the project is going.

KuroSaru and I will be hosting the modder-coder roundtable to flesh out design plans as soon as my current modding documentation is done.

If you're into modding right now, take a look at the modding resource documentation (link below) to either learn about how FTL's modding works in its current state, or if you're more experienced, help fill in the gaps while I'm off duty! (We're missing drone documentation, and animation documentation)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... BSFE#gid=0

That's all for now. See you all in a week.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:41 am

I've filled in the blanks with the drone blueprint.
Also, I've done some testing, and the <dodge> element seems to be the drone's chance to evade the incoming missile (can supply the mod I used to test). No idea what <level> does, tho.

Edit March 11th: also added the tags from animations.xml, though I wasn't able to figure some of their contents out.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
Vhati

Postby Vhati » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:18 am

I added <status type="loss" ... /> to the doc, as seen in events_rock.xml: ROCK_MANTIS_FREIGHTER_LIST,
with the noted-as-unconfirmed speculation that it causes the maximum power level to subtract (since other values are "divide" and "limit").

And added sounds.xml.
nataryeahbuddy

Postby nataryeahbuddy » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:54 pm

Is there a beta/alpha for this yet? I saw the pictures on the first thread and it seems that it works... If there's no playable version yet, is there a way to compile the stuff on github into something which I could play FTL on?
This seems really cool, can't wait for it to be released :D but it's taking a long time. :(
My most popular mod! Over 290 Downloads!
Advanced Weapons and Shields!
My second most popular mod! Over 240 Downloads!
Advanced Battle Systems!
An awesome ship with custom graphics and two new weapons!
F-22A Raptor for FTL
Vhati

Postby Vhati » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:47 pm

nataryeahbuddy wrote:Is there a beta/alpha for this yet?

A post on page 19 says as of mid-February, it's being rewritten in a different language. It loads some basic resources from xml and probably just presents a hangar menu. Feature planning via IRC will happen eventually. There is no release date.

Another post a few days ago on page 20 said development had stalled, but will resume soon. Still documenting the features present in the official FTL engine.
DryEagle

Postby DryEagle » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:11 pm

kartoFlane wrote:No idea what <level> does, tho.
This is for defence drones - set it to 1 it will shoot missiles/asteroids, set it to 2 it will also shoot lasers.
All ships I have created include custom weapons, graphics etc:
ImageImageImageImage
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:38 am

Added shipname.txt and shipname.xml entries - only filled the former, though.
Marked incomplete entries in the animations.xml with a reddish color.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
John Luke Pack Hard

Postby John Luke Pack Hard » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:23 am

Hello gents, I am back from vacation, and I see some of you have decided to volunteer to fill in some of the spaces.

Good on ya! While I can no longer take all the credit for documenting FTL, we can get to the planning phase in a little less time thanks to your efforts.