[MOD][WIP] FTL: Overdrive

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
John Luke Pack Hard

Re: [MOD][WIP] FTL: Overdrive

Postby John Luke Pack Hard » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:59 am

Gents. After a week, I have made a proposition for this game. Feel free to make suggestions and/or comments.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/ ... slide=id.p

Before we start dedicating time to this project, we'll have to know who's working on this project and make sure all who are coding are all on the same page.
KuroSaru

Postby KuroSaru » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:17 am

It would be useful for all active coders in the community who would like to work on this project to have a meet up via IRC and discussion about what they can contribute and want to work on.
[Tool] FTL-Dat ~ Win/OSX/Nix Supported.
Current WIP: FTL Engine - JAVA Implementation | FTL-Dat
spikeof2010

Postby spikeof2010 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:17 am

Is the project still active? :c
EDIT: Also, I have no clue how to use this. Any way of installation?
John Luke Pack Hard

Postby John Luke Pack Hard » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:23 am

KuroSaru wrote:It would be useful for all active coders in the community who would like to work on this project to have a meet up via IRC and discussion about what they can contribute and want to work on.

That won't be necessary until two or more coders start working concurrently.

Until then, all that is needed is a simple roll call and some agreement on a plan of action.

spikeof2010 wrote:Is the project still active? :c
EDIT: Also, I have no clue how to use this. Any way of installation?

Project is active and incomplete. To run it you'll need to have Visual C# Express 2010 installed. Come back to me once you have that down.
jagged

Postby jagged » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:38 pm

Why you are using Visual C? It is only for Windows? What about Linux, Mac, iOS, Android? You can write this game in javascript + html with webGL? After that you can run this in a browser or in a encapsulate nativ app.
KuroSaru

Postby KuroSaru » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:47 pm

jagged, even made in c# it can be ported to osx/linux via c# mono, alternativly it could be ported to JAVA.

at present im focusing on all files in the data.dat archive and what they do, as well as making a collection of tools for editing each one (except the ships as thats already handeld).
[Tool] FTL-Dat ~ Win/OSX/Nix Supported.
Current WIP: FTL Engine - JAVA Implementation | FTL-Dat
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:28 pm

a ship editor exists, but afaik is only for windows, so if you belive you could create a Java ship editor it would be great. Not necessarily the best use of your time atm :lol: , but maybe later on.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
John Luke Pack Hard

Postby John Luke Pack Hard » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:45 pm

KuroSaru wrote:at present im focusing on all files in the data.dat archive and what they do, as well as making a collection of tools for editing each one (except the ships as thats already handeld).

To clarify and expand on what he said, our first priority in the FTL:OD project is to document the data.dat files so we can establish support in FTL:OD for existing mods already made for FTL.

I've messed around with them myself (had a little too much fun with four 1-power-only Mk. III Burst Lasers on the Red-Tail). So far, I've discovered that the currently mod-able parts of FTL are:
    Sector beacon events
    Weapons and drones
    Existing ships

New ships can't be added; existing ships can only be replaced. This of course, is knowledge the modding community already knows. I'm still not sure if additional events, weapons, and drones can be added.

Essentially, we need to write down existing knowledge already used by the modding community. If any modders wish to contribute knowledge to what can be modded and how, feel free to contact me over IRC. I will be idling under the username "JLPH".

http://webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=ftlgame
John Luke Pack Hard

Postby John Luke Pack Hard » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:34 am

Gentlemen. Here are two documents for you to consider.

This is the proposition presentation for supposed features that FTL:Overdrive may support.

This is the diagram of the structure of how current scripting works in vanilla FTL. Eventually it will contain a diagram of how future scripting will work in FTL:Overdrive.

KuroSaru and I have discussed the relationship between current and future scripting and have decided that, most likely, old scripts will have to be extended to encompass new functionality.

We need modder insight. If you have experience modding FTL and spare hours on the computer, log into the #ftlgame channel on Quake IRC and idle there. I may have a few questions for you.

If I'm there, I'll be under the nickname "JLPH".
Last edited by John Luke Pack Hard on Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:54 am

QuakeNet: #ftlgame

Big thanks to all who contribute. <3
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.