I NEED YOU! To make the ftl weapon creator v2.0 the best

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
lordrockit

I NEED YOU! To make the ftl weapon creator v2.0 the best

Postby lordrockit » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:53 pm

Hello fellow modders, after just reading new posts and stuff, I reallized people are still looking at the weapon creator and scratching their heads(look at my recent post on the shipwrite mod in mod devolopment).

now why did I pick you random person on the internet, short amsewer is I'm stuck, not in a code scene but in a I can't think of a way that v1.x was complex.
Because it was my program I knew what ever thing did, but you all don't.

So how can you help?

Comment here, on the thread in my signature, pm me

If you happen to be mpre artisticly tallanted than me(if you can draw at all you are allready) let me know and you can help me make it look good.

Plans for v2.0
visuals, the weapon will be displayed, it will be animated, the mount point will be displayed, and fire point/mount point are set in the visual window area with a click.

If you hover over something it will let you know what it does

A visual output of code, so it will show like blueprints.xml.append and different directoires and when you click on a file name, it. Will tell you what code to put in it.

If I use your suggestion or art, you will be credited.

With all of ypur help, we can make v2.0 usable

---edit---

I should also mention that lordrockit's ftl weapon creator is a large name, and having my name forcefully in the title feels kinda like I'm bragging, and that the hole idea of v2.0 is to have the community help, give me some ideas for names, preferably something short.
Last edited by lordrockit on Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FTL lordrockit's weapon creator. Lordrockit- programer, 3d artist, gamer
Chrono Vortex

Re: I NEED YOU! To make the ftl weapon creator v2.0 the best

Postby Chrono Vortex » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:42 am

Just what kind of visuals are you looking for?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
CAKE

Postby CAKE » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:26 pm

I designed a GUI for this.

The grey boxes with black outlines are for stuff likes names, and the "type" box is a drop down box.

The drop down box for the weapon types.
If you want to ask/tell me something and get a timely response, read this paste: https://pastebin.com/LXcq186T

Mod hub for some of my old mods (which will not be supported anymore) here

A Guide On How To Combine 2 Ships Into 1 File
lordrockit

Postby lordrockit » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:20 pm

CAKE wrote:I designed a GUI for this.

The grey boxes with black outlines are for stuff likes names, and the "type" box is a drop down box.

The drop down box for the weapon types.

Thanks for your input.
that's kinda like what I have as my prototype gui, but its more of there's a windo that the weaopn is drawn to and animated, and you would click on lets say select mount point, then you would click on where in the image, then it woul reposition the image to be "mounted" on a red dot on the side.

The idea of big colorful buttons and switches is nice, and will probobly make it into v2.0

As for who asked About what kind of gui, I was thinking of the draw window, and then a tools window to the right that has all the buttons and input values, if that makes any science.

ill post some concept art in a bit once my pc finishes updating to windows 10.
CAKE

Postby CAKE » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:52 am

lordrockit wrote:Thanks for your input.
that's kinda like what I have as my prototype gui, but its more of there's a windo that the weaopn is drawn to and animated, and you would click on lets say select mount point, then you would click on where in the image, then it woul reposition the image to be "mounted" on a red dot on the side.

The idea of big colorful buttons and switches is nice, and will probobly make it into v2.0

As for who asked About what kind of gui, I was thinking of the draw window, and then a tools window to the right that has all the buttons and input values, if that makes any science.

ill post some concept art in a bit once my pc finishes updating to windows 10.

This one has the stuff on the side and a view of the image in the top.

The unpowered arrow.

The charging arrow.

The charged arrow.

The firing arrow.
If you want to ask/tell me something and get a timely response, read this paste: https://pastebin.com/LXcq186T

Mod hub for some of my old mods (which will not be supported anymore) here

A Guide On How To Combine 2 Ships Into 1 File
lordrockit

Postby lordrockit » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:05 pm

this is a link to jsbin, where i do my code in real time for html: http://output.jsbin.com/cawepe
it is the output of what i have so far, not much, but it shows some what what im working with.

also to the people who can program with html/javascript let me know if there is a way to un zip and zip files(.ftl files) to make the prossess more strm lined

and for the artist, i might be reworking the gui again, so if you have any ideas/art i can work off of, kinda like what cake is doing, let me know
as always thank you for your time in making v2.0 better than 1.x

---edit---
i have decided to not use the current gui in favor of cake's gui there will be a few changes (spacings and such), but i like the concept