Create-a-Cruiser ship sprite sheets (minor spoilers)

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Tamren

Re: Create-a-Kestrel Ship Design Tool

Postby Tamren » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:01 am

Okay here is the Torus. I only made one picture because the grid on the Torus and the Vortex is the same.

Last edited by Tamren on Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShadowDragon8685

Postby ShadowDragon8685 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:44 am

Tamren wrote:
Lurkily wrote:The real nightmare would be if access to every critical area was only possible via the medbay, and every non-critical area could be vented while protecting those critical spaces.

There is actually a lot of interesting "meta" around designing a ship, even with just the default pieces.

Bigger rooms mean you can have more space, and more crew working. At the same time bigger rooms means fewer rooms and damage will be more likely to hit systems. If beams were capped at 1 hit per room, however that would be a bonus because it would be much harder to get multiple hits in. A dense ship with lots of little rooms is easier to compartmentalize against fire and boarders. But could be countered by beam weapons.

Hence my Kestral Defiant. It's very well-insulated against burst lasers, missiles, and boarding parties, but hull lasers, hull beams, hull missiles, will do terrible things to it.

I tried to draw a bunk bed but I didn't have enough pixels to make it recognizable.

I can do the Engi ships at least. I don't have any of the others fully unlocked and I'd like to avoid spoilers for myself.

Please please please please please do them?

And can you do the other Engi ship? Even if the grid is the same, the colors are not. :)
Frustrated by random things beyond your control killing you?

Maxim 31: only cheaters prosper.
ShadowDragon8685

Postby ShadowDragon8685 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:23 am

I give you...

The Torus Trader.

This beastly cargo vessel was originally designed for optimized cargo space, with an amazing seven bays (eleven if you count stacking extra cargo in the life support bay, engine bay and the cargo-handling airlocks, as most original owners did) that one could fit cargo into!

Obviously, those times are over. Though a fat merchantman by fittings, the hull of the Torus Trader is the same as that of the Torus Cruiser, and it has the same extensible power generation systems and full power hook-ups for all the various systems a trader might encounter in space. Unusual for most ships, to say nothing of most Engi ships, the Torus Trader can mount a four-pad transporter (originally envisioned as a cargo handling device,) and a full-sized medbay, though their locations directly opposite one another do hinder standard boarding practices somewhat.

All the other main systems also wind up in an extra-large bay, which is either a blessing or a curse, depending on how one looks at it. The ship's design does not lend itself well to suppressing fire, let alone hostile boarding actions, but the voluminous bays and paucity of empty spaces - not to mention the unusual empty space in the center of the craft - limit the vessel's vulnerability to beams, hull beams, and hull smasher weapons somewhat, and the ship's design as a merchant hauler means there's scads of bulkhead doors, meaning that if you upgrade your door handling system, escape from hostiles is almost never more than one stride of your legs away.

Drasha

Postby Drasha » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:54 am

The Voyager is a zoltan science vessel. Used primarily in times of peace to explore and learn about new worlds. Now its crew finds its self in a parlous situation with enemies on all sides and a ship not built for combat. Many of the rooms in the Voyager are partitioned off from each other with the ability to vent air in case an experiment went wrong allowing for the ship to be sectioned of.

The ship starts with a mini beam as its only weapon but compensates for its combat weakness with max rank scanners, a transport room, a drone room with a repair drone and a haul repair drone, and rank 2 shields. Unfortunately the Zultan never thought they would need to have multiple systems on at once and there starting generator is less then robust.

(not as pretty as the other images but its hacked together. Red lines are doors that vent out side just assume there are lots of doors on the inside)
send me a message with a link if you see spam and I will take care of it.
Tamren

Postby Tamren » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:19 am

Okay here it is. I will do the grids for any ships as soon as I unlock them. I have about half at the moment. Shouldn't be too hard to get the other half given how much I play the game. I'm going to put them all in as embeds and just add a spoiler warning to the title.

These are not particularly hard to make, just time consuming. I used the game assets to make them which is why there is no glow around the ships and they don't have weapons mounted. All of the ships are matched to the exact same hangar/grid positions down to the last pixel! With two exceptions actually. In-game the grid on the Nesasio is offcenter by a couple of pixels compared to the spine of the ship, so I fixed that. And I had to recenter the Osprey because its so big and it was clipping offscreen. All of the pictures are exactly 666 pixels wide, any bigger than this and the FTL forums will cut them off instead of resizing them, or at least it does that on my browser.

ShadowDragon8685

Re: Create-a-Cruiser ship sprite sheets (minor spoilers)

Postby ShadowDragon8685 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:56 am

[Fluttershy]Yay![/Fluttershy]

I'll get right to work.

ShadowDragon8685

Postby ShadowDragon8685 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:34 am

I give you...

The Osprey Predator, a ship of but one purpose, of but one goal: to seek out its enemies and do them harm. Like all variants of the Federation-class cruiser, the Predator mounts a spinal Artillery Beam; unlike the others, it eschews the utility and versatility of a drone control system for the combat efficacy of a cloaking device.

Lean and compact, the Predator's design is interesting in that literally only one compartment is unable to open directly onto space, minimizing the inevitable problems when portions of the ship need to be depressurized, to fight fire or invaders. It features the rare and powerful congruence of a four-pad teleporter directly adjacent to a full-sized medical bay, but the Predator pays for it in the less-than-robust nature of its design.

Perfect compartment compaction means that the enemy can, and frequently will, get the most out of their beam weapons, while the ship has nearly two-thirds more system bays than redundancy bays, ensuring that most enemy shots will hit something you'd rather they didn't. It is also distressingly easy for the crew in one end of the ship to become cut off from the other, simply by fire, a hull breach, or an invasion happening amidships.

Still, the Predator is one mean little ship, and one needs no defense against a dead enemy.

Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:10 am

Someone really really likes to vent his ship into open space... there is only one room on that osprey predator that doesn't have an airlock.
ShadowDragon8685

Postby ShadowDragon8685 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:06 pm

Gorlom wrote:Someone really really likes to vent his ship into open space... there is only one room on that osprey predator that doesn't have an airlock.

That's why I wrote

ShadowDragon8685 wrote:Lean and compact, the Predator's design is interesting in that literally only one compartment is unable to open directly onto space, minimizing the inevitable problems when portions of the ship need to be depressurized, to fight fire or invaders.

TheAzryte

Postby TheAzryte » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:05 pm

ShadowDragon8685 wrote:Oh, and because I'm awesome, I give you the Kestral Defiant.

This interior redesign was engineered from the lessons of the past. Research has shown that most non-Federation targeting arrays strike more or less randomly, and enemy vessels consider themselves lucky to hit a vessel at all, let alone to repeatedly strike the same crew or machine bay. The large number of spare bays, then, serve as additional locations for enemy weapons, boarding drones, and boarding parties to target; it's very likely that most weapons will strike an empty bay rather than a mission-critical machine bay. Boarding parties and fires are especially easy to contain, taking into account the large number of redundant bays they may likely initiate in, and the ease with which most of the ship may be exposed to vacuum.

Additionally, bearing in mind the hard lessons of the past, the teleporter room, medbay, and life support bay are located in-line with one another, in perfect formation for damage control to keep life support and medbay functioning, whilst keeping boarding parties cycling into and out of the medical ward.

There are flaws in the design, however. The large number of empty bays, the very things that serve as sinks for fire that would otherwise damage a mission-critical system and hostile boarding parties, also serve to render hull-smasher lasers, hull-smasher missiles, beams, and especially hull-smashing beams, very dangerous to the Defiant class of vessel. Additionally, owing to an error of omission in the naval design specifications, the planned airlock doors between the medical bay and the airlock control bay and sensor array were omitted. This means that personnel traveling to and from the area of main engineering and the forward compartments have a very long route to take, especially if they need medical attention, or are damage control crews responding to damage.

Still, she's a nice little ship, isn't she?

Hate to break it to ya, but that medbay isn't comnected to anything, so neither is your lifesupport, LEARN FROM THE FOOLISH SLUG INTERCEPTOR DESIGN! Make doors into your your life support! Wake up people! Other then that, pretty good! Hope a real in-game editor comes up so I can make a custom fed cruiser!
Personal fleet: Kestrel A & B, Engi A&B, Stealth A, Mantis A&B, Federation A&B, Slug A, Rock A, Zoltan A&B and Unidentified A.

GDM